Shortening a rear for the 66 Dart.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Well I,ve come to face reality(rims)and have decided to have a C body housing shortend along with my axels.What width will I need to shorten it to?Also how much needs to be taken off the axels?(moser,s)I want to run 10x15 rims under the 66 Dart.Any help will be appreaciated.Thanks

Got to know backspace. If you have the wheels and tires, get them in the wells, leveled/centered and measure required overall length. Best way to do it and no mistakes.

Minitubbed I assume

Got to know backspace. If you have the wheels and tires, get them in the wells, leveled/centered and measure required overall length. Best way to do it and no mistakes.

Minitubbed I assume

Crackedback is right. It is the best way, because of back spacing. Measure, measure and measure more. What ever you take out of the housing will also be taken out of the axles. Are you having your axles resplined or ordering custom axles. I would recommend ordering axles, because it is only like $100 more and you get much stronger axles than stock. If you aren't removing more than 3"-4" they won't be able to respline them because of the step that is on the splined end of the shaft. So I have been told.

When I did my Dart I ordered the tires and wheels centered them up in the wheel housing and measured hub to hub. I gave that info to the guy shortening my rearend. You also need to let them know it's for a early A-body so the can offset the center section properly. He ordered new axles for me so we didn't reuse the old ones. If any thing you would want favor shorter on the width, because you can always add wheel spacers easily if needed. Jayson

Here,s what I,ve decided.I,m gonna get 15x10 rims with a 4 1/2 backspace.I,ll need to take 3 inches a side of the rear(52 5/8 inches)will bring it down to 46 5/8,I,ll order new axels from Strange(25 inches)regualar A-body axels are 28 inches.My question is,what is the offset on the A-body 8 3/4?A guy that owns his own 8 3/4 jig is doing the shortening for me and wants to know the offset.Thanks.Any help will be appreaciated.Thanks

P.S I,m using 10x 2 1/2 inch brakes.

-
Back