shortening drive shaft

-
Take equal amounts from both ends. Just kidding.
I had one shortened and rebalanced . They cut away from the forward end. The rear end had a tapered section.

well i went ahead and cut the large end only to find a inner tube inside with a rubber sleeve around it about 12'' long , thing won't move so i am having trouble, any idea's

i just had fun with the same thing last year. the inner tube is only around 7" long. youll have to use a sawzall witha long blade and cut the inner tube on one side then with a long screwdriver cheisel apart the rubber from the inner tube. eventually you get the inner one out and then the rubber can come out more easily. when sawing be careful not to cut the outer tube.

i just had fun with the same thing last year. the inner tube is only around 7" long. youll have to use a sawzall witha long blade and cut the inner tube on one side then with a long screwdriver cheisel apart the rubber from the inner tube. eventually you get the inner one out and then the rubber can come out more easily. when sawing be careful not to cut the outer tube.

did your's work fine after that.

best thing to do is take it to a drive shaft place to do the work and then have it balanced.....don't screw around with it yourself..... to dangerious at high speed i have experience with this neve do it again

which end do i shorten
If you are shortening the driveshaft because you are swapping out the engine and third member to, lets say a 340/360 and an 8-3/4 you should have a new one built. The driveshafts that came with /6 and 318s with the 7-1/4 rear axle are weak. You can also upsize the yokes to 7290s. They will use a thicker wall tubing and you can drive(read burnout) with confidence.

The best thing to do is take it to a professional and have them cut, ballance, and replace the yoke if they need it. After doing it wrong the first time I took mine to the professional and everything was perfect.

The drive shaft in in my Dart with the 7 1/4 had to be cut for the 8 3/4. The driveline shop wouldn't shorten it due to the rubber insert. Like mentioned earlier, for $190 I got a new drive shaft with new yokes and thicker walled tubing. I forget why they said the insert wouldn't allow them to cut the old shaft.

-
Back