Shorty headers

-

directconnection340

Reaction score
Will shorty headers fit into a 1972 duster with power steering? It’s going to be a 360 and I don’t want to buy them if they won’t fit. I know standard long tube headers might be a problem.

What kind of shorty headers? There's a LOT of different types.

What kind of shorty headers? There's a LOT of different types.
Reply not sure yet. I will definately buy a pair if they fit though. I’m waiting for the engine builder to finish my motor. I want the headers for max horsepower output. I just realized the long tube might be an issue fitting in. Any recommendations?

Reply not sure yet. I will definately buy a pair if they fit though. I’m waiting for the engine builder to finish my motor. I want the headers for max horsepower output. I just realized the long tube might be an issue fitting in. Any recommendations?

Hedman makes a pair that fit, but that's "about it". I think it's part number 78500.

Shorties are kind of a joke it seems. They don't flow much better than early 340 manifolds.

I have Hedman ceramic shorties on my 68 Barracuda with PS and A/C. They fit great and look great, the only problem is that they are make your own Y pipe. On the drivers side you need the Hedman style "stacked 4 in a row" because the standard 4 grouped in a square style collector will not clear the steering box.

Shorties are kind of a joke it seems. They don't flow much better than early 340 manifolds.

I agree and disagree with this statement as all headers have their place and purpose. If I were building a race car, then definitely full headers. But for an under 500hp small block street car (Not a TV "street car"), it would not make much of a difference on how you choose. To each their own.

I agree and disagree with this statement as all headers have their place and purpose. If I were building a race car, then definitely full headers. But for an under 500hp small block street car (Not a TV "street car"), it would not make much of a difference on how you choose. To each their own.
Under 500 horse? You had better have headers. Most shorties aren't car model specific but are designed for street rods.

Well one thing's for sure, you can buy a BRAND NEW set of Hedman 78500 shorties for WAY less than some of these people around here want for the early 340 manifolds they were compared to. Headers always flow better than manifolds are much lighter and in this case cost way less. What's not to love?

Under 500 horse? You had better have headers. Most shorties aren't car model specific but are designed for street rods.

Yeah, those Hedman 78500s are the only shorties I know of that are Mopar specific. Do you know of any others? I can't think of any.

center dumps
hed-78500_lm_xl.jpg

scamp exh05.jpg

scamp exh06.jpg

Hedman 78500

or TTi's?
TTI34025.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

-
Back