Shot in the Dark: Anyone familiar with Kia cars?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
My wife's secondary mother has a 2004 Kia Sedona (minivan) that has 47K miles (avg 8K miles a year). She wants us to buy it from her, so Joann has a newer better vehicle. I have been reluctant, but it's a good little van, and makes the spouse happy.

My only concern is transaxle. On cold mornings (less then 40 degrees) and it has sat overnight, the trans chatters pretty loudly, particularly in reverse. It makes very little noise in neutral or drive, and quits under load, but I just don't like the noise. She is the original owner of sorts, as it was a lease or demo vehicle. I am trying to go at Kia, to see if they truly have a 10 Year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Any Kia technicians lurking around?

I'm no tech but a friend of mine had one for almost 10 years before it died on him. It had over 100k miles and it probably would have lasted longer if he had taken care of it. It was a RIO and the bottom of the food chain. If you can get a handle on the noise then you will probably end up with a pretty good car.

I would look at them cv joints. She might have jammed it in reverse or drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas pedal like most older ladies do and these parts can take a beating this way. Just my two cents!!
Chas.

My gf Lori drives an 07 Spectra and has close to 200k on it. 2 hours each way to work(god bless her soul!!LOL) and no issues with it. I've done the brakes a couple times and we had the timing belt replaced at 100k to be on the safe side. We shoulda bought the extended warranty but its too late now.

I just recently learned how to pronounce "Kia", so I'm no expert, but have you checked the basics, like fluid level and condition? If it is a little low, the cold temp could make it that much harder to circulate, likewise if it burned or smells like crap, might be an indicator of some major problem. Also, make sure (or try your best to make sure) the noise is actually coming from the trans and not a bad CV on the trans side.

Good luck. I'm stuck in minivan hell every time we go out as a family. My wife loves it.

Change the tranny fluid to a full synthetic fluid....better for it in those conditions.

If you owned it let's say then on cold mornings you went out cranked it got it warmed up would it still chatter?

My wife has an 05 Kia Spectra. She had it when I met her.

At first I was like……. "A Kia?" I can't drive this. But over the last 3 1/2 years I have come to find it to be a great reliable little car.

Kia service has been great (cigarette lighter wouldn't stay in, the only problem we have had).

The power train warranty is 10/100,000 but i believe that is only for the original owner.

If you buy it you may want to keep it in her mom's name until the warranty runs out.

The Kia line is a low end car line here in North America. I know someone that worked at a Kia dealership. He said he heard people say that they bought a Kia because they couldn't afford the other new cars. Once the car got a little older they never came back for service because dealership labor cost too much for what the car was worth.

I would look at them cv joints. She might have jammed it in reverse or drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas pedal like most older ladies do and these parts can take a beating this way. Just my two cents!!
Chas.
I don't know how to evaluate the CV joints, other then replace the axles.
It only does it in cold temperatures...?
:toothy10:
I just recently learned how to pronounce "Kia", so I'm no expert, but have you checked the basics, like fluid level and condition? If it is a little low, the cold temp could make it that much harder to circulate, likewise if it burned or smells like crap, might be an indicator of some major problem. Also, make sure (or try your best to make sure) the noise is actually coming from the trans and not a bad CV on the trans side.

Good luck. I'm stuck in minivan hell every time we go out as a family. My wife loves it.
Fluid level is ok, and it doesn't smell burnt. It makes noise in park, and still a little under light load, but once you have gone from reverse to drive, the noise is all but gone.
If you owned it let's say then on cold mornings you went out cranked it got it warmed up would it still chatter?
I only hear it on cold mornings, after sitting. It has the slighest noise at idle, but really chatters in reverse. I haven't left it there long enought o see if it will go away.
My wife has an 05 Kia Spectra. She had it when I met her.

At first I was like……. "A Kia?" I can't drive this. But over the last 3 1/2 years I have come to find it to be a great reliable little car.

Kia service has been great (cigarette lighter wouldn't stay in, the only problem we have had).

The power train warranty is 10/100,000 but i believe that is only for the original owner.

If you buy it you may want to keep it in her mom's name until the warranty runs out.
We are considering this. She is the first owner, but it was a program car or lease car. She thought her warranty was up, but I have an inquiry into Kia, as most of their warranty info says 10/100K even if it was program or lease. Even if we don't buy it, she should still have have the warranty honored
The Kia line is a low end car line here in North America. I know someone that worked at a Kia dealership. He said he heard people say that they bought a Kia because they couldn't afford the other new cars. Once the car got a little older they never came back for service because dealership labor cost too much for what the car was worth.

I know they are cheaper the some other options, but I have to face economic realities. I can't swing 40K for a top of the line minivan. While this Sedona may not have 1.5 million different amenities, it is a nice vehicle, that is better then the 95 Caravan she had, has working heat and air, that is safer for the kids. I can't turn down a modern minivan with under 50K miles for 3,000 bucks.

Thanks for all the input gang. I will keep reasearching. Hopefully we can get the transmission figured out, the wife and kids can be in a better ride, that won't break the bank.

I don't know how to evaluate the CV joints, other then replace the axles.
It only does it in cold temperatures...?

:toothy10:

Fluid level is ok, and it doesn't smell burnt. It makes noise in park, and still a little under light load, but once you have gone from reverse to drive, the noise is all but gone.

I only hear it on cold mornings, after sitting. It has the slighest noise at idle, but really chatters in reverse. I haven't left it there long enought o see if it will go away.

We are considering this. She is the first owner, but it was a program car or lease car. She thought her warranty was up, but I have an inquiry into Kia, as most of their warranty info says 10/100K even if it was program or lease. Even if we don't buy it, she should still have have the warranty honored

I know they are cheaper the some other options, but I have to face economic realities. I can't swing 40K for a top of the line minivan. While this Sedona may not have 1.5 million different amenities, it is a nice vehicle, that is better then the 95 Caravan she had, has working heat and air, that is safer for the kids. I can't turn down a modern minivan with under 50K miles for 3,000 bucks.

Thanks for all the input gang. I will keep reasearching. Hopefully we can get the transmission figured out, the wife and kids can be in a better ride, that won't break the bank.

I don't blame you. It is safer than the older cars. I meant no harm about the Kia.

They are good cars. I worked on one recently for a friend. It was overheating and ended up having a stuck tstat. The little car had 230,*** on it and was still goin. It had obviously led an abused life as it had been wrecked badly and "repaired". Although the current owner now takes good care of it, it was abused badly in the past. Thing is, it is still pluggin along. had that car been taken good care of from the start, it would still be a very nice car. It was a Kia Rio, btw. I think they are as good as any Toyota in their class. If you look at the electronics under the hood, you see all the same names such as Nippondenso and the like. That's top shelf electronics.

All you really have to remember is that a transmission is a magic box, and all noises should be ignored until it leaves you stranded. A transaxle is a magic box that has been magicly twisted and transported to a weird location by the same people who magicly turned the engine sideways.

Automatics and transaxles scare me, but it sounds like the Kia is worth taking a chance on.

You will be buying a car that you know little about . . . and with grinding / chatter issues . . . I wouldn't gamble on it . . . my 2 cents

If it were me, I would pass, you're asking for trouble with a transaxle making noise.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if it's under warranty then why don't you have her take it in to the dealership and have it fixed?

I didn't read the entire thread, but if it's under warranty then why don't you have her take it in to the dealership and have it fixed?

My plans exactly, but she thinks her warranty was up in June. It might have been some "bumper to bumper" but supposedly, KIA are 10 year 100K on powertrain. I definately want the transmission handled before we buy it.

My wife and I bought the 2010 Soul last year. This has been are only car while I have been re-storing the Valiant we have almost 25k on her the only thing we have done is oil
changes every 5k and picked up a nail in the tire.Have to take to dealer to re-set TPMS.
Drove to Carlisle got about 35 MPG we love it.

-
Back