Should I be Concerned?

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got my 360 back from the machine shop today and I started assembling it. Everytime Iroll the engine over on the stand I hear a metallic "ting" inside the block. I roll it until I can see inside the H2O ports and I see a freeze plug in it in the galley right before the oil filter mount.
Should I worry about it being there and knock out the new freeze plug and try to get it out, or forget about it and just run it?

Get it out- freeze plugs are cheap

Yeah I say get it out too. I've heard stories about them blocking coolant passages.

That freeze plug can create a Hot spot. get it out, it's simple to do right now.......a real bugger after it's in the eng bay:protest: :D

So the machine shop left a old freeze plug in your engine,Wow...Yes remove it.

My thoughts exactly... When I was stripping down engines if I had thought that was acceptible I would have been a lot faster...lol.

Either they were in a hurry or they dont have a clue. I got it. They let a trainee do the work while the boss went on vacation or to the bar. Glad ya found it now. Not to make ya worry but, what else aint right?
Small Block

I'll just pull it out myself. Much easier and faster than loading the assembled short block in the truck, taking it to them and have them do it. It doesn't look like a new one. Before I took the block to them I knocked out all the plugs and the block was packed with hard sludge. I didn't hear it until I took the air hose to the inside the block cleaning everything out real well. The rest of the machine works is really nice. I will mention it to them when I pick up the heads today.

Make the machine shop pull it out.

X2, but if it's not worth the hassle of taking it back to them, I'd at least let the owner know. Sometimes the only way for an owner to find out that their employees aren't meeting the mark is through customer feedback.

I got my 360 back from the machine shop today and I started assembling it. Everytime Iroll the engine over on the stand I hear a metallic "ting" inside the block. I roll it until I can see inside the H2O ports and I see a freeze plug in it in the galley right before the oil filter mount.
Should I worry about it being there and knock out the new freeze plug and try to get it out, or forget about it and just run it?

For what it's worth find a different shop for your next engine. I hope for your sake that doesn't happen too quickly.

-
Back