should I buy

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new here, a client of mine told me she is selling her late husbands 1969 Barracuda. body done, it runs and interior need to be finished. All parts are there.
Her husband suddenly past and she knows nothing about it. Im thinking great project for my son(16) and my self(mom)
Any advise would be so helpful
$12,000CAN
Your son is gonna graduate in about two years. He could be married and a father, in three or four. As soon as he gets serious about girls, which could be any second now, his Mum will be on the back burner; that's just the way it goes.
Depending on your family status, your Mother/Son project could still be on jackstands.
Now, if you have a dream of driving a classic Mopar, that's one thing. But to want to spend this much time with your son at this stage in his tumultuous life,
may be a different dream of yours,
and
not his dream at all..
IMO
You need to prepare yourself for this eventuality.
If there is no Father in your son's life, IMO, you need to prepare yourself financially to help your son transition to independent living.
Just to compare notes;
Some twenty-plus years ago, I had three teenagers at home two daughters and a young lad, all about two years apart. There was a time I didn't a have a spare nickel. We even budgeted our family allowance, which at that time, was a mere pittance.
My car was purchased, complete, in 78 for something like $350. But I couldn't start on it until the mid 90s, and she was five years in the making. Besides body-work, being a mechanic, I did all the work, and took odd jobs to buy parts. We couldn't afford beer or smokes, nor eating out. Juggling life, was tough .
After it was built, and a running/driving car it was still another four years before it could be called "done".
But when I started the project, my boy was only twelve...... and it soon became apparent, that he was not interested in working on cars.
Now, he has three young kiddies of his own, the eldest of which is seven .... and then
I got old(70), and recently semi-retired(two months), and now I got time (about 19/20 hours a day cuz I can't sleep).
Life is like slowly eating a box of chocolates; almost every bite is delicious, sometimes sweet, sometimes fruity, sometimes nuts, Sometimes you get to share the box, but in the end, there are only so many in the box, and the last of them are all likely to taste like coffee, and you can't even give those away ...........

:BangHead: :BangHead::BangHead:
Steve, the cars that were heavily affected by the flood look like this! Taken two weeks ago. They can’t even be crushed until the silt is removed from every nook and cranny. The red car sat in a wet Quonset for 40 years. I imagine the pans could be shot too with that insulating layer of mouse nest in the floor.

View attachment 1716173783

1J127ci191h1p.1_11.jpg

$ 8,900
5.9 4SP A/C PS/PB
28,867 miles

It's not that she's not welcome. We welcome anyone. It's that we've been bitten many times in the past by the seemingly same old story. The burden of proof is on her. If she wants to come back and this is all legit, then she'll get more help here than she can choke a horse with. You can't blame folks for bein a bit gunshy.
Agreed, we've seen more than a few trolls of late, or possibly the same troll in different disguises, but the biggest difference I see is that the OP did post what appear to be legitimate pictures of the car in question, big difference from whatever that other one who claimed to be "inheriting a 440+6 'Cuda, buying a salvage yard, undergoing cancer treatment", etc. all in a span of a month or so.
I can see being a bit gunshy, but getting one's exercise from jumping to conclusions is grossly unfair.

Personally I do hope that she comes back, at least for some sound advice or suggestions. I don't think the car in the pictures is a terribly bad buy for the $$, it may not be the deal of the century, but if it's solid and has most of the necessary parts to put it together, why not? There are a few members that hail from Saskatchewan here, maybe someone is close enough and willing to spend a few hours helping her make an informed decision, I would gladly do so if I were in the area.

Just my .02.

This thread is closed. Give the gal a chance. She was asking for guidance and didn't deserve the treatment that she got from a few of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back