Should I do it? 69 Notchback

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help on something. I went and looked at a 69 Barracuda Notchback the other day and I thought I would ask what you all though of it. I took a ton of pictures of the car but these will give you an idea of the general condition of the car. The car has been off the road for quite a while, it is a /6 with a column shift automatic, it does have bucket seats. The interior is not in the best of shape. Really a pretty plain car but I kind of like it. That's about all I can think of to tell you all before you give your opinions.

What do you think top dollar should be on a car in this condition?

I think every cool old Mopar is worth saving, but do you think this is one that should be put out to pasture?

Would it be worth fixing it up good enough to be a driver, because that is what I was thinking of doing?

Here's the pics:

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

Here are the scary shots;

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

One parting comment, when I talked to the lady that was selling the car she asked what I would do with it if I bought it and I said that I wanted to fix it up and make it my daily driver. She then said that she wanted to sell it to someone that was going to fix it, I guess that two previous lookers told her they would part it out. Thanks in advance for the comments and opinions.

Did you try the "I will get it out of your hair for free" thing?

Looks like a 500$ or less car to me. But very fixable.

I'll buy the rear windshield trim LOL.

I will also say no more than $500, but you could sell the parts for much more than the whole car is worth together, go figure?

I kind of like the dents. Looks pretty solid otherwise. I'll agree with $500.

I'd love to have that car! I would restore it and clone it like the '69 my dad bought new. Same color & body, 340-S 4spd black interior with console.

From your pics, the only red flag to me is the front half of the passenger quarter panel. Other than that, it looks very doable. Do you have pics of the front end and the interior? I would probably go as high as $1000 if I knew the motor/drivetrain ran relatively well, if the interior is all there and if the frontend (grilles/nose piece, etc.) is intact and in good shape. Granted, we pay a little more out here in CA.

yeah that looks like a 1,000$ car to me in nj, but if you can get it for 500 more power too you. my buddy sold a 67 that was pretty rotten under the macco paintjob, it wasnt hiding anything, floorpan had holes. it had a 360 with a fresh intake carb headers and duals with flowmasters, he got close to 4,000 for that here in nj. i was in shock. the big thing with the 67-69 barracudas is the grill. if its all there and useable, your in business.

I don't know, I would pass unless its 2-5 hundred dollars and your going to part it out or if your a really good bodyman.

I picked this one up for 700, I do realize its a '67 and not a 69 but I don't know if theres much of a value difference. Is there?
I wasn't looking for a purchase, I fell into this through a friend. I think your going to see alot more cars start popping up as the economy falls further away. I still believe grandma has a few stored in a garage somewhere...

The rest of the grille was in the floor boards
DSC04869.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

DSC04871.jpg

$500.00 You guys kill me.Were can I find a car like that for $500.00 not in the Midwest.The door is toast other than that the rest of it can by easliy fix by a good body man.I do not see any rust holes.I would give her a $1000.00 easy.But since she said she wants to go to someone who would fix it up.I tell her you want to fix it up and all I had was $700.00 If she said No I would say well I may be able to come up with $1000.00 but that is it.If she wants it to go to a good home that maybe be a little more important than the money.
Jim

tubbedamx, you got a very good deal.

Obviously I like that body style. It looks like a solid car and since its a /6 you can do anything you want and not be concerned with originality. If the door didnt look so bad, I think you would be getting more support for buying it.

Lets see, does anyone on the list have a door to sell door to sell this guy cheap?

The front is there but it is a little cracked up. I'm going to say the same about the interior as well, it's there but it is cracked up. I thought the dash in my Dart was the worst looking dash ever but the dash in this car is an identical twin to my dash.

I agree the passenger side quarter is pretty scary looking. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it is pulled away from the middle of the window by about an inch and a half or so. I was really surprized that the door opened and closed.

A couple more pictures;

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

Looks like the old gal took a shot right in the nose, the car is a girl the lady told me, she said it has a name too but I forgot it. It was a german name that meant reliable or something along those lines. Thanks again for all the help.

DSC00270.jpg

She actually has a door that goes with the car. It is gutted but the windows in the wrecked door are in fine shape, I just might need to find some tracks in another door but that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Listen to me talk myself into buying this car?!?!?

After seeing the pics, absolutely a $1000 car (perhaps more). I didn't realize that in the original pics it was a deluxe bucket seat car. Is there a center console or is it column- shifted? That dinger on the nose is about as common as it gets for '69s. Besides the obvious grille housing issues, the only other problem I see are the parking lamp lenses. The eggcrates and the surrounds look pretty good as well.

I would say about $1,000 too but like GTXperience i'm also from Cali so its always a bit more. as long as the door will open and close like you said and there aren't any major rust areas then it looks like the old pull, spackle, and paint routine. i would get it if i had a garage to work out of.

Overall from the picts the car look OK. yes there is a lot of work in the rear quarter but I'm reasonably sure you can get those. Has the deluxe interior but the sun has done what it does out there. Real question would be how is the underside? Frame rails solid? Floor in passenger and trunk solid? I paid more that $1000 fot a 68 that didn't have an engine because it wasn't very rusty. In the midwest rust is a killer!!! Being a slant car would keep it closer to $1000. Question is are you and enthusiast or a broker?

This car has been on craigslist for a year or so. price is coming down, currently at $1500. I agree with the general public above $1000 max. my 65 is in generally the same condition only never wrecked and I got it for $850 October '07 when the economy was more certain. I haven't gone to look at it but it's been in Colorado a long time according to the military stickers so the rust shouldn't be too bad.

saw a 65 on denver CL just now with custom taillight rearend work. looks pretty kool

Question is are you and enthusiast or a broker?

Enthusiast, I just saw the car and liked it. How could you not like a car like this?

i think i saw this car. is it over between wads and sheridan north of 92nd?

The car is up in Lafayette.

Mission #1: Find a place to keep the car.

Mission #2: Start doing some talking and see if I can bring the price down.

Mission #3: Find a new place to live after the wife kicks me out on the street for buying a wrecked 69 Barracuda. :thumblef:

Mission #1: Find a place to keep the car.

Mission #2: Start doing some talking and see if I can bring the price down.

Mission #3: Find a new place to live after the wife kicks me out on the street for buying a wrecked 69 Barracuda. :thumblef:
Mission #1: I hope you have good nieghbors that are understanding or a big garage.
Mission #2: You might be suprised as they want the car saved just like you do.
Mission #3: You could try what I did and give your wife the lost little boy look and state that it was hurt and followed you home. So can I keep it???? PLEASE????

Tell the owner you intend to restore it. After you gain her trust, talk her down to bottom dollar ($500 or less). Then part it out and take the money and find a better car to fix up. It is worth more in pieces, period.

BUY it and don't look back. Even at $1500 if times get hard, you can part it out for more than that...... or sell it to one of us!

All of the hard to find 69 stuff is there (grille and tail panel), AND it has delux interior. Cool Color combo too....

I am kind of partial to 69 notches.... ha.

-
Back