Should I Remove my Front Sway Bar??

-

Dart Sport 360

Wanna Race?
Reaction score
Hi,

So I wanted to get some opinions on this. I drive my car a lot but I took it to the track and I want to squeeze a little more ET out of the car if I can.

I'm going to add frame connectors to the car in the spring and I recently got a pair of 3 way adjustable competition engineering front shocks for the car. I wanted to know if you think that removing my sway bar will help the 60's at all.

The car was working good and not spinning but I thought the 90/10's might help. My 60's were 2.0 and ran 12.68@106.

Like I said I drive the car a lot on the streets but its not like I'm road racing the thing, just casual cruising. I don't know what to expect with the bar removed.

Thanks

Just remove the pins,then you can put back in after racing.This way you,ll keep the car from"rolling"on the street.I used to just pull the pins when I was racing my 73 Dart Sport 340.So yes it will help your 60fts.I was getting 1.80 with a 4 speed.
View attachment Pinks AlloutArmDropLive09 052.jpg

PS I,m going to the track(Cayuga)tomorrow(sunday)

Yup, Scott's right on the moolah. You don't want the bar hooked up on the strip because it can hinder traction buy not allowing the front shocks to extend all the way. BUT, a rear sway bay can actually help on the strip by keeping the rear straight and aligned with the body and helping to keep traction equal on both tires.

Thanks guys! Can anyone chime in about driveability on the street with the bar off.

Tons of cars came without them....so it won't be unsafe, but it will not corner as well as it normally would.

I've NEVER heard of someone taking one off of a street car?!?! I am adding the biggest bar I can get.

Disconnect the ends as mentioned above when heading to the strip.

i ran my car on the street for years with a bb slant t bars and no bar. it didnt come with one and i built it as a street strip car, so i felt i didnt need one. i havent driven it in a while and i built a car set up to handle, so when i start driving that car again, i might not be too happy with it.

If you disconnect the link bars cant the bar pivot down onto the road in the rubber mounts? I haven't looked real close but just from memory that's what I thought I saw.

If you disconnect the link bars cant the bar pivot down onto the road in the rubber mounts? I haven't looked real close but just from memory that's what I thought I saw.
If you look at my pic I posted,you can see the swaybar just sits in the stock location(minus the pins and bushings)It,s the bigger mounting bushings that are tight and hold it in place.good luck.

PS The pins and bushings can be removed in 10 mins,then put back after racing.

You can do like the Jeep guys do if you're worried about the bar dropping when disconnected. Make a bracket to attach one end to to keep it in a neutral position.

I started taking it off last night... Seemed to fight me ever step of the way. I guess the bolts haven't been touched since, well, 1975.... not too big of a deal.

Both of the bolts with the bushings seased.... one of the heads snapped off which was good... the other side the nut striped so it just spins... everything else came off but I don't have a grinder with a cutting disk so I'll have to borrow one from work tomorrow...

Yeah my Garage is way too small....

If it's a car that sometimes drag races I pull them. It's a lot of weight off the nose and once you get used to not having one, the loss is insignificant. If you plan to road race or drive high speeds on the street, it should have the largest you can get.

My fish has no sway bar. The first time I drove it I thought it wallowed when I turned the wheel. First thing I did was buy new front shocks which changed nothing. Guess back then cars just wallowed and I forgot how bad they were (drove a 67 coronet in HS).

My 3085# with me in it 340/3.91 fish have the same 60' as yours, give or take. You have me a tad in ET with my best 1/8 being 8.39 at 60 degrees F. That is with 275/60-15 drag radials or 255/60-15 streets.

That sway bar is probably not affecting the 60' at all and you should probably stick with the street shocks and sway being on. Something else is keeping the car from launching harder. Maybe weight.

-
Back