Should I ?

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I've been debating something for a while now, and am still unsure of what to do.
My 72 Demon I have used only as a strip car. It has been sitting in the garage now for about two years.
Should I put a bulb it the one turn signal so it will work again, rehook up the linkage for the wipers, and put it on the road?

I would have to change the spool out of the rear end, and find a decent set of gears for the rear. The 4.10 sure grip I have toasted the bearing on the pinion gear. I have a good 4.56 and 3.23 set I could put in. I would need to find the right gear for the speedometer.
It has no weather stripping in the doors or trunk, and I would have to put a passenger seat in. I'm sure there would be more to do.
What do you think?

Sounds like a good project to jump into and enjoy driving the roads in New York.
And The repairs that are needed, I know you can handel and enjoy doing them.
If you want a driver, And it sounds like you do you can take this project on and enjoy getting it back on the road again

I most definetely would, but that is just me... Any time I get a chance to take any car like that, I do it as long as its not too long, or too short, of a drive. How far would you be driving it? I don't really enjoy driving my 72 demon 5-speed around town too much but I have work in other near by cities that are between 30 minutes and an hour away so, it helps me look forward to going to work a lot more!
GOOD LUCK!

I don't know why you would have to change out the spool. I run one on the street and the only thing you have to watch for is to much gas pedal when the roads are wet. The understeer isn't that bad.

Jack

I guess I'll have to get my butt in gear, and get this road worthy.
I'm nut sure how well the spool, manual steering, and 325x50x15's will handle.

My setup is a spool, manual steering and 255-60-15's. It's no corner carver but it is easy to drive with one hand and I have a tuff wheel. Parking is another matter though, especially backing up. The big thing I notice is the turning radius is rather large.

Jack

Sounds like you're looking for a change of pace. I've been known to take projects in different directions. I start out with a plan that "I won't change". But, bottom line, it's fun to do what I want! We don't live forever!

The track is also 2 hrs away, so that becomes a pain. I have to go find the title for it, and call the insurance co and see how much to add it on.

I went through Hagerty for the insurance, so I'm waiting to hear from them.
Pictures? Of what my Demon?
Like this?

Demon2.jpg

demonsmokin.jpg

What did they quote you at ? They quoted me at $200 a year as a stock car worth $15K and the 50 mile plan.

Yea, like that. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

How can you not drive that great looking car on the street?

Hagerty called me tonight, They said No.
Adam was right in them not wanting to insure the car due to the cage, and the fact that it is occasionally raced.
Hmmmmm, what to do now. It will probably cost me $290 for 6months under my ins company. Plus registering it, taxes on it.

I figure with just basic just to get it on the road, it will be $290 for 6months.
That's what my Focus costs. If it gets wrecked, it would all come out of my pocket to fix.

I have plates for the Demon.
Thanks Dan (1Dart2NV) for the words of wisdom.
I went and registered it today.
Can't wait to take it down the street.
I have to do a few things first.
Install the passenger seat, passenger and rear seat belts, install the horn, throw a spare in the trunk so it will pass inspection, put the dot tires back on( I put the slicks on just to play in the driveway) put the plates and sticker on, and head to the shop to get it inspected.
Tomorrow is suppose to be a sunny day.

-
Back