Should it stay or should it go?

-
Reaction score
Hey guys...opinion question here. I just took the /6 out of my 64 Valiant to rebuild it, but I've been thinking about swapping in a 318 that I can buy in very good running condition for fairly cheap. The question is do I spend time and probably lots more money hopping up the / or go with the v8 swap? And will the 318 bolt up in any way (adapter or none) to a 904 pushbutton? If anybody has any input, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aw man...I don't wanna lose the buttons or cut up the floor. But it COULD be pretty neat to have a 32" shifter stickin up outta there. Something to think about...

I,m gonna do the V8 swap in the future,but I,m gonna go 360.Gonna need extra ponies for dangeling tires!!YeeHa!!!

Do you know which transmission that is, Cuda? And was it in more than one year or is it like that 65 cable floor shift tranny? Thanks for the input.

You need a 64 273 tranny. The 65 and 66 are different altough they may be adaptable. I dont know if the 63 down 273 will work or not.
My02.
Frank

First year for the small block V-8 was 64. To keep the pushbutton shifter, you will need a 64 or 65 904 cable shifted trans, for the V-8.
The 65 trans will need the valve body changed to the 64 item. You can use the valve body from your 64 slant six trans. If the engine is 1968 or newer, you will need a adapter bushing in the end of the crank.
1966 and later trans is different, and can be converted to a pushbutton shifter by sending the PB unit to Imperial Services. It is not inexpensive.

You'll also need a driver's side exhaust manifold for the LA engine. The pax side will be fine as is. You can get headers for an early a-body, but I hear it's pricey and a tough install.

Dual exhaust are problematic for early A's as the tranny crossmember is only notched on the driver's side. A 318 with a mild cam and the Commando (single) exhaust makes nice sounds.

I'd definetly go with the 318 for sure. Keep the push buttons with right type transmission if you really want but once you get the feel of the 318 you more than likely would want something in the floor to shift it with. I don't know anything about the push button or how it works but I always like a shifter in floor.

i say keep the slant. they are different. such as the pushbutton. anyone can slap in a v8, then its just another a-body with a 318. sorry. im not trying to get down on your car. that is just how i feel. its up to you to biuld it however you like.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm most likely gonna keep the slant, since this is going to be my "everyone jump in and let's drive 3 hours to this show" car. Gas ain't cheap and it's not getting any better.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm most likely gonna keep the slant, since this is going to be my "everyone jump in and let's drive 3 hours to this show" car. Gas ain't cheap and it's not getting any better.

YAAWWNNNN! :sleepy2:

Boy I'm sleepy for some reason..... think I have to fart... and go take a nap.

lol!

YAAWWNNNN! :sleepy2:

Boy I'm sleepy for some reason..... think I have to fart... and go take a nap.

lol!

I know how you feel. I get the same feeling whenever I look under someone else's hood and see another bellybutton V8... Naptime! :)

Last car show I went to (that was purely a car show / cruise in and not a race) had about 15 big block Mopars and only one slant six. The slant six was kept stock while almost every V8 had about the same chrome treatment.

i agree. everyone always tries to talk me into swapping to a v8. it would be easy enough. but then what would make my valiant different than all the others with 318's or 360's. if i ever did put a v8 in the wagon it would have to be a big block with a tunnel ram or a blower. something that makes a statement. but im really getting tired of the basic slant 6 to small block swap.

I'd definetly go with the 318 for sure. Keep the push buttons with right type transmission if you really want but once you get the feel of the 318 you more than likely would want something in the floor to shift it with. I don't know anything about the push button or how it works but I always like a shifter in floor.

PushButton trans are the Bomb! If you've never driven one, you have missed out on one of the great MoPar experiences :cheers:. I use to have great fun punching Dad's 383 Polara down into 2nd.

Good choice, keep the six and drive the snot out of it. :-D Actually, either way is good as long as you drive the snot out of it!!

Ken

My 66 Cuda has a push button trans, with the PB shifter mounted in a homemade console, on the floor, between the bucket seats. Gets a lot of comments.

Alright...I figured I'd rather keep the 6 and took it apart this weekend, it looks like it's still pretty solid and a little bit of machinework will bring it back to life very nicely. Thanks for all the input, one of these days I'll put up a build thread. I'm smoothing out everything on the body, shaving door handles and locks and stainless (except the rockets in the back...i love those!) and it's already lowered a few inches. Keep an eye out.

-
Back