Should there be something between gas tank and trunk floor? On the straps?

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
Gas tank should be here tomorrow. I have the straps cleaned up. What I dont know (remember) is if there was some sort of rubber strips between the straps and the tank, and if there was something between the tank and the trunk floor. Related to that, is it a good idea to have something between the trunk floor and the tank? Looking to avoid the rot that I just replaced.

There is the mat above the tank and the floor, but I used a teflon tape the same width as my straps between the strap and the tank. It's not the white pipe tape, but a fiber type, very strong and wear resistant. It is a product used on helicopters between removable panels to keep wear down as parts move. SAINT-GOBAIN, PERFORANCE PLASTICS.

When I dropped my original tank it has a black felt material that was bonded to the top of the tank, to act as a barrier between the tank and the chassis. When I went back in with the new tank, I used a sheet of construction felt (tar paper) that I bonded with a thin coat of hi-temp (black) RTV. Looked "factory." The tank straps were bare, but I did the same thing to them...a layer of the construction felt.
Norm

Yes there is a asphalt paper type pad between the tank and floor . Nothing between the straps and tank.

Mopar - Fuel Tank Pad, Grommets, Seals - Fuel / Gas Tank Pad - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

download.jpg

I don't know how much rust/snow/road salt you have in your area but I would put some paint on or spray on undercoat on the top side of the tank before installation. Of course I would also use the felt material (similar to think roofing tar paper). Lots of stuff ( water/salt/small rocks) end up jammed on top of the tank and can cause corrosion.

Indiana... plenty of rock and road salt. Metal on metal straps dont make me feel warm and fuzzy. Ill get some of that tar paper to use.

This car wont see winter... so far as I know.

Don't put anything on the straps.
You want to ground the plastic tank to the chassis as sloshing fuel generates static charge.

I thought the same as you about the under tank straps. I used old straps from a ratchet strap between the metal strap and tank. Being made from nylon or such, I figured that it wouldn’t rot easily.
Yote

-
Back