shoulder belts for Daughters 65 Barracuda

-
Thread cleaned and reinstated, help the Op's question or butt out.

Answers & chatter not inline with the question will be deleted. Stupid comments leading to cat fights will be a ticket to a vacation even IF YOU think your point of view is valid.

Also boxing the lower control arms will add some strength. Anti sway bars front and rear,larger torsion bars,and a good set of all season tires will make the handling more predictable,therefore a safer car. I have a set of belts from the place Dan suggested on order,will let you know what I think when I get them installed.

Donpal do you have pics. of your seat mods? ......Thanks

See the following for seat position & underfloor reinforcement using spreader plates spot welded to floor & reinforcing angles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpal/6418031687/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpal/6417968731/

See the following for electrical diagram that utilizes an underhood fuse box & circuit breaker:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpal/6418098429/in/photostream

What a great reason to get the wife to fund your weekend road racer. :D

Very Nice set up. mind if I borrow your wiring diagram?

The electrical diagram addresses power to the seat controls/track as well as the underseat computer.....you can get more electrical info on this at a Sebring retrofit into a Corvair (recommend you ignore the seat brackets devised to adapt the Sebring track to the Corvair track bolt points....no floor strength for the added loading)

http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm

Note that the underseat computer feeds off the interior fuse box & must function when the door is opened....which unlocks the seat belts prior to sitting in the seat. Sebring is setup for either door to unlock the seat however the electrical diagram used in my 65 Dart is to only the left door....all at a nice price (I've bought 2 nice leather seats & computer & harness for $75 at a local junkyard)

Note that you must have a 98 or earlier seat computer......which is seperate from the main Sebring computer. Around 99 the seat function was moved to the Sebring main computer....you can use a 99 seat with a 98 or earlier seat computer for the retrofit.

The computer "decides" to lock up the belts if:
1) car is on a steep hill
2) car deceleration exceeds threshold
3) by timer after about 30 minutes

Orientation of the underseat computer is critical to properly sense the deceleration.

Getting the seat belts locked up earlier in a rapid deceleration than a normal setup seems like a nice safety feature.

Thread cleaned and reinstated, help the Op's question or butt out.

Answers & chatter not inline with the question will be deleted. Stupid comments leading to cat fights will be a ticket to a vacation even IF YOU think your point of view is valid.

Sorry didnt realize my post was so controversial that it needed cleansing.

How old a daughter? If 16 I,d say 10 point cage and 5 point harness. Belts bolt to cage. I wont let my daughter drive anything without air bags.Kids are too easily distracted.

What he just said--expect the air bags. Too many deaths and serious injuries for 45--50 mph crashes it seems.

If you going to install seat belts get the 5 point harness. One reason new cars have left and right seat belts is so the driver can be ID in a bad wreck. In the old days a passenger could be killed and the driver could say the passenger was driving and he walks--why bench seats are pretty much gone--too easy to switch positions going 80 mph, the drunk BF has sober GF get the 10 over speeding ticket and...

Well I just know I wreck at 50 mph and at 70 mph and I'm still here and everything works just fine. No seat belt or air bags, the 50 mph was in a 1987 car-- T bone a pick up, total both and the 70 mph was a 1970, semi head on a Jeep, total both again. Can't believe air bag would had help one bit--in fact I likely be dead, IMO

How come we never hear--see folks posting how they were going 70 mph and crashed and woke up hours later in a hospital and 8 months later they were almost like new again, huh ? Where are the bad wrecks were the driver isn't killed, seems like that never happens anymore

The electrical diagram addresses power to the seat controls/track as well as the underseat computer.....you can get more electrical info on this at a Sebring retrofit into a Corvair (recommend you ignore the seat brackets devised to adapt the Sebring track to the Corvair track bolt points....no floor strength for the added loading)

http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm

Note that the underseat computer feeds off the interior fuse box & must function when the door is opened....which unlocks the seat belts prior to sitting in the seat. Sebring is setup for either door to unlock the seat however the electrical diagram used in my 65 Dart is to only the left door....all at a nice price (I've bought 2 nice leather seats & computer & harness for $75 at a local junkyard)

Note that you must have a 98 or earlier seat computer......which is seperate from the main Sebring computer. Around 99 the seat function was moved to the Sebring main computer....you can use a 99 seat with a 98 or earlier seat computer for the retrofit.

The computer "decides" to lock up the belts if:
1) car is on a steep hill
2) car deceleration exceeds threshold
3) by timer after about 30 minutes

Orientation of the underseat computer is critical to properly sense the deceleration.

Getting the seat belts locked up earlier in a rapid deceleration than a normal setup seems like a nice safety feature.

This is cool info. I had never considered what controlled the belt functions.

Thanks everyone this is GREAT info !

I looked back at your original question abouts belts & seats with integral belts & compared that to the responses which covered not only what you were looking for but also a range of safety items including lights, fire extinquisher, etc.

If your still contemplating what to do about the belts the item that took me to the seats with integral belts was the other late model seat safety related item.....headrest.......

Google whiplash....one modern day statistic in the UK showed that 75% of the auto related injury claims were whiplash related & that 14% of your insurance cost is directly tied to whiplash.........the amount of lawyer websites is scary that pop up.

I copied the following statistic from one of the web sites: " A properly placed head restraint where one can sufficiently protect his/her head lower the chances of head injury by up to 35% during a rear-end collision.[14], [15]"

The Sebring Headrest has great adjustability so whether your daughter is tall or short the headrest should be able to fit her height.....

So an integral seat knocks off two big safety items at once.....I put them not only in my 65 Dart but also my daughter's 65 Dart....

Hey jd physicist can you post a pic. of your install on the 3rd brake light ? Thanks

Sorry for the slow reply, Christmas stuff and all...To start, the car has been taken apart and sand blasted and is now at the paint shop. Going back origional bright red with just a few body upgrades. Looking to do dual tailpipe tips through lower valance panel similar to what the new Dodge Truck tips look like. going with as quiet of a dual exhaust as I can figure out. Going to go with the Sebring Seats with the center of the seats sewn up like the center of the back seats to try to tie them togeather in the looks department. Going with 17's like on Silverfish's car. That is as far as I have gotten for now. will keep everyone up to speed as I can...... MERRY CHRISTMAS !

I have a high mount brake lamp on my package shelf too. the after market kits come with a logic module that will keep the brake lamp from flashing with a turn signal.
I chose to route a wire from the brake lamp switch all the way back to the added lamp fixture instead ( no logic module required ).
2 points to mention... If the fixture is mounted inside the car it will need to fit snug to the glass or light will escape and obstruct the rear view.
Once a safety feature is added it must function properly to pass a safety inspection just as if it was original equipment.

-
Back