Show 'Em Off Slant 6's

-
Good story Darter- How do you think that Hyperpack would perform on a mostly stock slant with headers?
Been there, done that not well without the appropriate cam and proper head work.

Not saying that you can't,BUT, I visited Jack Clifford in the 90's at his shop.I was in the mind set same as you.While he was showing me around his warehouse he explained "Build for torque,Not RPM". He went on with explaining why,the head,intake etc was not designed for high RPM and why the long ram was designed for road racing.Pulling hard (Torque) coming out of turns is why the HyperPack Valiants ruled the tracks of the day."The engineers knew what they wanted,they proved it with the long ram 413 300's of the day and applied that to the HyperPack.
Thus for drag racing the short ram did better on the strip."(1961 RamChargers)
He continued "So I made them both". He was really a neat guy.I enjoyed my day with him.He really was into the Hudson Hornet and it's days racing.The company sure changed after his passing.
Just my 2 cents.
It’s been a long time dream, and Ill agree that the 225 isn’t designed for the RPM with long stroke and cfm limited head.

That’s why I want to run the 170, and spin it’s guts out. The manifold was designed to give an extra punch at 4400 rpm but what was the shift point? How high was Chrysler nascar spinning those things?

After talking to Dutra many(20)years ago he mentioned the 170 will spin above 7k but the bolts on the rotating assembly like to come loose.

All this talk of wanting a /6, I have one collecting dust.... There was a thread on either here or on the /6 forum, and I have THE engine that was the consensus of that thread, the topic was " lightest /6" cast crank 85 Engine, although it's original head was one of the heavier /6 heads made..came out running..... Stored in the garage on a stand even.
With a few gaskets it could go right back in.....

But I have one of the lightest /6 heads built sitting right alongside this engine that could go with. A '74 era, drool tube head. Untouched since pulled, good core for rebuilding "at worst". Cast crank, fastest revving (as stock 225 cranks go, anyway/ yeah, I know that long stroke don't help in that department. Haha)
Not a "for sale" ad per say....... But I could be talked out of it

My 67 Drag Dart has the 1980 cast crank 225 and used a drool tube head. It's best was high 12's with a 500 AFB.
Has hundreds of runs on it. Mine and the new owner. Cast cranks do the job.

Here's a shot of mine. Basic bolt on parts, offy 4 barrell manifold, quickfuel 450 carb, TTI exhaust. Eventually I'd like to mill the head, some port work, and a cam swap just to pep it up a bit more. But for now it's a nice cruiser.

slant six 102.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an older paxton supercharger with a Rons toilet And mechanical injection.
I bet Mark and friends used to buy that green paint by the 55 Gallon Drum:)

greenval.jpg
Post #82 photo is the engine in this car. The engine is the old Dale Rose setup that he had in his 10 flat Arrow. We added a vacuum pump and made the cylinders round and never really finished getting the combination lined out. It should run 10.80's when all done. In the past at a slant 6 drag racing event some of the fastest cars were green. This color just makes them quicker!

I thought this thread was for posting real Slantys, owned by real Members, past or present.....

Atta girl Mabel. You show 'um ! Purrs like a kitten.
I sure miss my 63.

My creation that really work well, high reving 170 /6 dual exhaust manifolds, 390 fresh cool air from a jeep 4.0 breather. 7 great years of fun, a member has the engine in his 63 Dart now and running great

Tim Morlin Visit 7 22 2010 017.jpg

Nice work on that 4.0 filter box. Might hafta try that on one of mine.

Greg

Dual 1945's on my aluminum block 63 Valiant daily driver (it was a PITA to get the carb linkage set-up correctly.)

View attachment 1716063412
Hey @waguy, I am getting ready to install the same intake but with two 1920s. can you post or pm me some pics of your choke set up? And, did you keep the stock gas pedal set up or did you swap to a cable?

Hey @waguy, I am getting ready to install the same intake but with two 1920s. can you post or pm me some pics of your choke set up? And, did you keep the stock gas pedal set up or did you swap to a cable?
I had another member ask about this recently. If you PM me your email I will forward the pics and description I sent. (The 1920's are a tiny bit easier to set-up.) Cheers - M

-
Back