Show us some odd ignitions from the past

-
Dart 273; thanks for the video. I did a little snooping and found out there were two systems. One had dry cell batteries, the other had V shaped magnets on the flywheel and acted like a magneto. This was the first multiple spark discharge system?

Note the two piece spark plugs. You would take them apart to clean them.

Not mopar boxes. I have seen the boxes and they will not work in place of a mopar unit. That one in the pic is a gm system. That back shows what they made.

I see....just wondered if ma Mopar got the plug system from these folks that done these or is it the other way around?

Dart 273; thanks for the video. I did a little snooping and found out there were two systems. One had dry cell batteries, the other had V shaped magnets on the flywheel and acted like a magneto. This was the first multiple spark discharge system?

My very first stitches were from two piece plugs. I was about 5 years old. We had an old shed, with a very small work area, the rest was a rickety garage/ woodshed. I was botherin Dad so he got a Model A plug, put it in the vise, and loosened the nut, then handed me a crescent wrench. I was having a ball taking it apart and putting it together.

"The last time" I "reefed" on the wrench, lost my balance, and fell backwards, with my hand extended to try and catch myself, and slid the space between my thumb and index finder HARD right down the cutting edge of a double bit axe standing in the corner. Off we went to the joint were they sew ya back up

I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD!!!

My understanding is that the T started on battery and then a switch transferred the coils to the flywheel magneto. The coils were "timed" by breakers in the flywheel

I once rode in a CANADIAN built T here in town. I was looking at it and the owner INSISTED I go for a ride. I did not resist!!! It had "Canada" embossed on the head and the running boards. He had installed some sort of overdrive, and also a new accessory cover on the engine which provided mountings for a conventional distributor and a drive for a generator. He had converted it to 12V and an alternator!!! This was a ?? roadster pickup with a very very short "bed." Not sure if it was "factory" as there were many aftermarket bodies avail. back then, including "speedster" bodies.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I don't remember who made it, there was a points/ retrofit system for awhile that seemed to use the high points of the factory points cam lobes for a trigger. I always figured that would be problematic

Just got this on trade this week on a 1970 383.

9E54AE63-EA21-442E-AA4A-63F76A414CA0.jpeg

1ABB97BD-CAA0-4A98-89CA-54DF5217C4BD.jpeg

Spotted this Funkatronic (wasn't the brand name, but shouldacoulda been) Solid State IGNITION! system on eBay in 2008. Seller said it was worth buying for the box art alone. I already had more than enough miscellany in my collection, so I just yoinked the pic. Far-out, man!

Solid_State.JPG

…which reminds me. Shortly after I bought my present 2014-model daily driver last year, I put this early-'70s Tecumseh engine decal on:

2014-Mazda-Capella-Solid-State-Ignition-context_9077.jpg

No word of a lie; I dare you to find breaker points. Why's the decal on the airbox? Because I said so, that's why.

-
Back