Show us some odd ignitions from the past

-
Neat thread!
Posting this one by request, it's not an ignition box, despite the plug- turns out it's a high speed AC cutout box! Mid 70's 440 cop car...
upload_2022-1-20_16-37-54.jpeg

A couple more-
My Radio Shack CDI that I built in the 70s when I was 16 or so (yeah,I never throw anything away!):
upload_2022-1-20_16-40-55.jpeg

The coil I ran with it (hey, it's chrome- that had to make it worth an extra 5-10 hp alone!):
upload_2022-1-20_16-43-34.jpeg

How about an Accel Laser II box? Along with the obligatory SuperCoil, of course:
upload_2022-1-20_16-46-20.jpeg

I've got some other stuff buried around here, too; will post when I find it...

Who wants to rebuild my Mark TEN B? I thought I had it working but it doesnt seem to do squat but make a high pitched noise. Definitely doesn't load the coil with 300v. Most I see is 10 v up from 6v? @KitCarlson ?

What have you tried? It might be the cap is bad and loading down the HV output. I'd try disconnecting it and see if the HV appears, ?? 300V or so?? Or maybe the SCR is bad.

I had one recent (Vivitar) photoflash, would not even oscillate, I charged the cap with an external supply--up slow--and it fired right off

Who wants to rebuild my Mark TEN B? I thought I had it working but it doesnt seem to do squat but make a high pitched noise. Definitely doesn't load the coil with 300v. Most I see is 10 v up from 6v? @KitCarlson ?
Del suggests just what I am thinking. High pitched noise suggest step up on low side is working. The cap, triac, secondary winding fault, diode ... loading or restricting. Look to open the circuit at transformer secondary, should see a choppy AC high voltage. There is likely rectification and some inductance and resistance in series.
I am assuming you are trying with an ignition coil, it is part of circuit. The HV supply feeds the cap, in series with coil, other end of coil is grounded. When ignition is triggered, triac shorts supply, that discharges capacitor into coil.
Check voltage at other side of cap and ground, you might find the voltage.
The 10V reading might be leakage or ripple, trying to measure HV DC, with cap in series.

Last edited:
My 57 Ford 312 did the same thing, but its GEN light would come on after about a minute of 5500 rpm WOT blasts...Probably just overloaded the regulator. Yeah, still had the generator.... Those who think solid lifters are loud never heard a good Y-block running. The fan made more noise than the lifters.

Mallory HyFire V....my runner! Look at the size of that sucker....it's huge.
20220212_151445.jpg
20220212_151515.jpg
20220212_151537.jpg

Mounted on whats left of my battery tray.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

ALLISON OPTO XR-700 MODEL 228 BREAKERLESS IGNITION SYSTEM 1963 CHRYSLER

E bay

-
Back