Show us some odd ignitions from the past

-
I always thought Model A's were a really cool design---I've never seen any other vehicle that had that sort of approach
The Ford N series tractors all have very similar engines....although they did use insulated plug wires. LOL

How about the Hurst ones?

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Love it never saw that one before. I am kind of starting to collect these oddballs. Have 5 or six of them so far. Kind of goes with the ignition stuff I do.

Love it never saw that one before. I am kind of starting to collect these oddballs. Have 5 or six of them so far. Kind of goes with the ignition stuff I do.
There is like four or five of these on eBay at the moment...NOS stuff.

I just want them whatever condition not going NOS for them bad is fine.

I purchased one of those for a (of all things LMAO) a
Hyundai Excellent. It boosted mileage pretty good. The best was 42 mpg’s. But once a year it became a MUST to change the cap and rotor because the amount of energy that was discharged would turn the inside of the cap into ash.

I still ha s it but not used it in years.

I am considering trying this on my 350. Don’t know much about them but I got the whole package fairly cheap and figure what the heck. Maybe next spring it will be revived for a test.

View attachment 1715816696
I’m running the Crane HI-6N analog (was specifically for NASCAR Winston Cup) along with the Crane matching coil with a recurved Chrysler electronic distributor on my street/strip setup. All works great, Nice well built pieces, has a two dial adjustable Rev limiter too. Should serve you well.

DD1114FA-014F-4448-80EB-98C295E09903.jpeg

Here’s a never seen one early MSD box, as shown in the SA Design Mopar Performance book (published 1978) Big old thing looks like it ought to put out some “zap”:eek:

5FA7BA60-D55A-4360-8986-054E98F4ED03.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn't those Hurst ones use the breaker points also? As they don't come with anything else but the screws that hold them down by the pictures on eBay.
Notice the one pictured does not REMOVE the points from the coil. A true electronic switching igntion, the points are removed from the coil and go to the box, then the box goes to the coil. This is likely no more than a diode or cap or something in there and likely doesn't do much of anything.

On a side note, the problem with any of the points--triggering-a-box setups is that the points now have such little current going through them that they can lose conductivity from?? fumes/ oil/ etc and then not trigger. This is not a "big" problem, but it can / did happen

Notice the one pictured does not REMOVE the points from the coil. A true electronic switching igntion, the points are removed from the coil and go to the box, then the box goes to the coil. This is likely no more than a diode or cap or something in there and likely doesn't do much of anything.

On a side note, the problem with any of the points--triggering-a-box setups is that the points now have such little current going through them that they can lose conductivity from?? fumes/ oil/ etc and then not trigger. This is not a "big" problem, but it can / did happen

Ok...I'm following you now.

Prestolight transignitor 250 made for Mopar early superstock cars black is pre 67 blue is post 67 Can also be used on some Studebaker Avanties.
DSC00773.JPG
DSC00771.JPG
DSC00772.JPG

-
Back