show us your rattle can paint jobs.

-

Wheels

Reaction score
Lots of rich guys build cars, but lots of guys that don't have money
build cars too. They skip there hydro bill to buy a part , or they piss
off the ol lady by spending the date or grocery money triing to finish thier
cars and then when they are finished and dont have the $2500 to $8000
to paint it --- out comes the rattle cans or spray bombs as I call them.
Some times it is just to make your car look better untill you get her finished. So lets see your rattle can paint jobs. I have done a few
so I would like to see some others.

Attachments

• 65 cuda.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,803
  • 65 Cuda 010.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,407
  • 1989 F150 Truck 006.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,101
Just a quick job to make it one color! The rims were orange prior to the paint job so i added a stripe to tie everything together. Ended up looking pretty cool. going to have to touch it up next summer, or start doing prep work for a real paint job!

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

dart_tires.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

The top is brush painted hardware store enamel, and the body is Rustoleum spray cans.

After 4 years it doesn't look quite this good anymore, but it has held up surprisingly well.

74DartEsotericWayEastLansing8312008a.jpg

74DartEsotericWayEastLansing8312008d.jpg

Im in the process of prepping the XJ for a roll on paint job. Im not in any hurry so will be taking my time to do all of the wet sanding in between. It may not be showroom, but should be good enough to get me by for a few years.

My buddies. He used sherwin Williams industrial enamel and sprayed it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 771
amazing how nice some of these cars turned out
great jobs guys , any paint is better than no paint.

John Deere "Blitz Black" is Hot Rod Heaven in a can.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 880
not an A body , but lots of rustolieum LOL , both pics fresh out of the paint "booth" lmao

Attachments

• jeep13.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 676
  • jeep31.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 636
Just a quick job to make it one color! The rims were orange prior to the paint job so i added a stripe to tie everything together. Ended up looking pretty cool. going to have to touch it up next summer, or start doing prep work for a real paint job!

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

dart_tires.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

That looks pretty dam nice!!!

Interlux Brightside boat paint sprayed with HVLP.
I have about $450 total into paint and body work.
about one step up from rattle can, but it came out pretty good.

Attachments

• may26,2012 012_1.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 653
Interlux Brightside boat paint sprayed with HVLP.
I have about $450 total into paint and body work.
about one step up from rattle can, but it came out pretty good.

that looks very nice, looks like a regular paint job, shiny.

you can buy paint for a very reasonable price, not much more that rattle cans, if you have a gun and compressor to spray it.

did the bay with rattle can

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_3571.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_3868.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 530
listen, while i know money is tight and sometimes you do what you have to. but, i can tell you that no matter what, you do more damage to your car with rattle can paints. first, there is no catylist in the can to make the paint harden completly. if there was, it would not have a shelf life. also, you may think iit is better than bare metal but it it not. as with putting that porous paint on you car, it not only lets water behind it, it also holds the moisture. it does plenty of damage that you cannot see.

but, the biggest issue with using rattle can is that when/if you go to reepaint with correct paint, you must strip totally all the spray can garbage. if you do not, in most cases is when you put good paint over the rattle, the rattle paint begins to curl under your new paint.

i made a promise to myself a long time agol after buying a rattle can car, tha t i would never again. since then i have bought a few but all have been parts cars.

Mahalo! The paint I used was matched and put in a rattle can from the paint distributor on island. They used the same paint you would use to paint with a sprayer. I've used them in the past and the paint has held up for years. Sure money was a factor. But if it had turned out crappy I would have redone it. As it was I didn't need too. But I purposely restored it to look like an older restore. Hell I even put "factory" paint runs!

This is a cool thread! LOTS of us cant afford a paint job in a pro shop. It's just the way things are. But I see we can get really nice results noe the less. Love threads that show its not all about money in our hobby. True hot rodding has always been about making do with what you have,not how fat your wallet is.

Be proud guys. These cars look great!

There are degrees of wealth. Also, there is degrees of wealth in areas. Some will spend hundreds on lighting. Some will spend thousand on machining engine parts. Some will spend nothing (whatever is handy) on brakes. It's all relative. I get 340plot said. But and a huge but it isn't written in stone. Heck there's a fricken AWESOME thread on ROLLER painting a car. That's CRAZY!

-
Back