shumacher vs tti 2 inch

-

UDUST81

Reaction score
well im gonna put a 440 in my duster and id like to keep power steering and overall i feel like ill be happier with the schumacher tri-ys. and i will probably buy them either way. my real question is what would be the horsepower difference in say a 500 horse motor with the tri-ys instead of the tti 2 inchers? i know you will lose some power but i wondered if anyone had done any testing and found a concrete number. also does anyone think the difference would be really noticeable behind the wheel? thanks

Schumacher has done their own comparisons: http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/ArticlePages/SmokinBarracuda.html

I don't think anyone here has done any kind of dyno comparison. I've got them and wouldn't hesitate to use them on a street motor. And with everthing else being equal (cam, intake, rear, etc) I doubt you would notice a "seat of pants" difference on the street either. For competition, where every last 10th is important, then a full length header would be appropriate.

As always, opinions will vary.

I am putting a 440 in my 69 Barracuda and went with the Schumachers for the same reason (power steering). Mine is on the stand still though.....

Schumacher has done their own comparisons: http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/ArticlePages/SmokinBarracuda.html

I don't think anyone here has done any kind of dyno comparison. I've got them and wouldn't hesitate to use them on a street motor. And with everthing else being equal (cam, intake, rear, etc) I doubt you would notice a "seat of pants" difference on the street either. For competition, where every last 10th is important, then a full length header would be appropriate.

As always, opinions will vary.

thanks about what i thought 15-20 horse btw your build page is what inspired me to do the big block conversion in my duster :burnout: thanks!

thanks about what i thought 15-20 horse btw your build page is what inspired me to do the big block conversion in my duster :burnout: thanks!

I run the Schumacher headers with a 500Hp motor. I may have lost a little. But my car still is running down in 11.60s@116mph. So I am pleased with the way they work.

UDUST81 - I had tri-ys on my 71 Dart, worked well, etc. Best I could get at my DA was 13:40. I just installed TTI 440-200's, a little different than i believe what your asking about, but I go the track this weekend. I will let you know.

UDUST81 - I had tri-ys on my 71 Dart, worked well, etc. Best I could get at my DA was 13:40. I just installed TTI 440-200's, a little different than i believe what your asking about, but I go the track this weekend. I will let you know.

allright cool itll be great to see the difference

had a set of the tri-y's on the street dart. 451 low deck .600 roller cam. would not run at full throttle. ran high 11's. put on 2" tti 10.88. #3400 3.91 gear

To me long tubes will win every time for the track. I ran the Shumacher tri-y's and they can't be beat for a street car. My car,65 Belvedere 3800 lbs in full street trim,451 low deck auto 4.10 gear ran a 11.90 @ 110 with the Shumacher tri-y's.

I have a 70 Duster 440. I have the Schumachers. I estimate my engine would make around 550 HP with big headers with the combo I have. I'm not willing to give up power steering so I'm taking the power penalty of the little Schumies. Take a look at my picture gallery and you'll see how I modified mine by ditching the 2.5" collectors and going to 3" with V-band connectors instead of the flanges. So far I'm happy with the little headers, I havent gone to the track yet but on the street the car rips pretty good. I also went with full 3" exhaust all the way out to the rear bumper. I also saw that Womanator built a full weight Duster (or maybe a Demon) with I think a 470 stroker and the Schumacher headers and ran 10.90s with an auto trans. To me, people tend to way over estimate how much power big long tube headers will add to a combo. I also had a 454 Chevy years back with Hooker 1.75" headers and I thought for sure that they were killing alot of power. I switched to 2" headers and there was no difference at all with power, just way harder to install and remove. also made it much harder to get at the starter.

had a set of the tri-y's on the street dart. 451 low deck .600 roller cam. would not run at full throttle. ran high 11's. put on 2" tti 10.88. #3400 3.91 gear

I hope I yield the same results...

I just switched annd will tell you that the difference in the ease of service and installation is beyond night and day. The Schumachers can be installed with the engine bolted in place with the torsion bars in. only have to pull the starter. This takes about an hour or 2.

My tti's have 2 days invested into them and i'm still not done (not 8 hour days though..)

-
Back