signal light switch,what are the odds

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok installed a reman signal switch last year when we were restoring the Dart.Soon after it took a dump,if the leaver was not in the right spot It would have a left tail light on or the right tail light on.Got very pissed off at people saying you have a brake light out:angry7:Ya I know there looking out for us but,any hoot what are the chances this switch will do the same.We know electrical once you open it no return.Anyone else have a similar problem:wack:.

A "remanufactured" signal switch? Never heard of such a thing. New ones of widely varying quality ranging from Chinese garbage to American- or Argentinian-made good stuff, and of course there are used switches, but remanufactured...? Are you sure?

Put in a good quality new switch and the problems will go away.

A "remanufactured" signal switch? Never heard of such a thing. New ones of widely varying quality ranging from Chinese garbage to American- or Argentinian-made good stuff, and of course there are used switches, but remanufactured...? Are you sure?

Put in a good quality new switch and the problems will go away.

First off hows it going Dan,Well I guess I don't know what I am getting or had.I ordered my switch from National Moparts so who knows were its coming from,you got a source?

Call up Ray at 206-300-1083. Tell him Dan Stern sent you. He probably has a switch for you.

Thanks Dan he says he has one for under 100 bucks or a Saginaw for 180,told him what the switch was doing and thinks that It could be the canceling cam,nice guy to chat with.

I would pull the wheel off and take a look at that cam first. If it is turning on and off you should not need a new switch I would not think. Is it just not turning off after a turn buy it's self?

I would pull the wheel off and take a look at that cam first. If it is turning on and off you should not need a new switch I would not think. Is it just not turning off after a turn buy it's self?

Have to turn it off myself,I think what could of happened was,when rebuilding the front end and when was done, with the wheels off I was turning the wheel left to right as far as it would go to check foe any bind.When doing this I heard snap snap from the switch,found a small white plastic piece,looks like from the canceling cam,The switch does click off and on manually,but I have to have it in the right spot or on light is on L-R .

If the upper column bearing is worn bad and the column gets shifted left or right in its mounting, the cancel cam wont last very long. Good luck

Ya thats the cam for sure Snake. May want to take a look at why too while your in there like RedFish said as it should not do that even turning the wheel all the way lock to lock. Unless the cam was just old and brittle.

Ok will soon pull it apart and see whats up,how will I know the upper bearing is bad,when I grab the column its tight no movement side to side.Thanks for the help Red and Burnt.

If you haven't unbolted and lowered the column the shaft alignment may not be an issue.
I don't know an easy way to check that bearing. I have had a column out on the workbench and spinning the shaft would generate a roar/noise. I've seen the balls fall out of them too.

If you haven't unbolted and lowered the column the shaft alignment may not be an issue.
I don't know an easy way to check that bearing. I have had a column out on the workbench and spinning the shaft would generate a roar/noise. I've seen the balls fall out of them too.

Ok a new switch is on its way,I could live with having to turn the switch off manually but want to be in the off position.

-
Back