Silverback Carbs

-

mellow_utah

Reaction score
Anybody seen these new silverback carburetors? They're not for sale yet (19 more days), seem cool as long as they're not a fortune or end up being a glorified predator carb lol.

http://www.silverbackcarbs.com/ They claim 20-50 hp + lbs of torque.

Yeah. Count on that costin a ton.

Yeah. Count on that costin a ton.

Probably too much more :).

20 to 50 hp & tq gains? I doubt that if you're sized correctly now. Adjustable cfm, Pred? Might be good for a dyno shop...lol.

I'll be the first to eat my hat if all the claims are true, but this looks more like jewelry vs something most of us would need.

Probably too much more :).

20 to 50 hp & tq gains? I doubt that if you're sized correctly now. Adjustable cfm, Pred? Might be good for a dyno shop...lol.

I'll be the first to eat my hat if all the claims are true, but this looks more like jewelry vs something most of us would need.

It's still a carb, still has the same advantages and flaws. Shiny new geegaw, doesn't necessarily mean fast.

Was at sema and won new product of the year. They seem to good to be true according to what the reps were saying, 30% better millage, more power. They were very nicely made, but very expensive like $1300.

i didn't like them

Was at sema and won new product of the year. They seem to good to be true according to what the reps were saying, 30% better millage, more power. They were very nicely made, but very expensive like $1300.

i didn't like them

Thanks for the info, Buckshot. I don't see it,panning out. If it were so great, the OEM guys would have done it.

Thanks for the info, Buckshot. I don't see it,panning out. If it were so great, the OEM guys would have done it.

They did. I think everybody has had a crack at a variable venturi carburetor. IMO, Ford had the most success. I know you remember them on like mid 80s Crown Vics. Most of them were nightmares. That's all this is. Variable venturi all over again. And before somebody starts hollerin how badass Predators are, they'd be on everything too if that was the case. What is on everything? Just what worked. EFI. lol

They did. I think everybody has had a crack at a variable venturi carburetor. IMO, Ford had the most success. I know you remember them on like mid 80s Crown Vics. Most of them were nightmares. That's all this is. Variable venturi all over again. And before somebody starts hollerin how badass Predators are, they'd be on everything too if that was the case. What is on everything? Just what worked. EFI. lol

Correct, R.R.R... and for Predators/ Kendigs, Lmao......

I don't believe the hype on the claims. I've been messing with slide carbs for along time. pretty much every bike out there comes equipped with one. The throttle response is a bit better from part throttle , a few more ft lbs. through the middle but bolting on a S&S butterfly carb always produced a few more ponies up top on the dyno. mileage differences? negligible, but thats on a small engine. I don't believe there's a magic carb out there that is going to net me 10mpg over what I'm getting. For any given vehicle with a specific displacement, weight, gearing, etc it's still going to need to develop the same hp to push the same weight down the road at a given speed for a given distance requiring the same amount of fuel.

If your carb is dialed in.......... how much gain by switching? I think very little. Hard to refute basic physics.

Ford called that variable venturi . We called it variable vegetable.
It was good when it was good . When it went bad, it went real bad.
Typically removed and tossed like Chryslers lean burn ignitions and some other not so great innovations. Just more trouble and expense that their worth.

Be interesting to see how they work when
John Q gets ahold of them and really thrashs
and wrings them out.
Looks like no fuel bowl maybe diaphragm operated..
Always a chance they might live up to the hype
or find a nitch that they excel in.
We'll know pretty soon.:coffee2:

My buddie bought one at the p.r.i. show -Hows $2500 -he's Nuts i told him, had to have the latest gadget. Steve

Here's the pricing structure from off their site.

STREET & STRIP 600 - 850 CFM SINGLE INLET$2595/Setup per application
STREET & STRIP 600 - 850 CFM DUAL INLET$2695/Setup per application
FULL RACE APPLICATION 950 - 1200 CFM DUAL INLET$2995/Setup per application

may as well go efi for that money..

Ay one looking for that last minute gift idea i'll take a 950?

If they're claims held true, which is hard to believe, I might pay it.

Here's the pricing structure from off their site.

STREET & STRIP 600 - 850 CFM DUAL INLET$2695/Setup per application
FULL RACE APPLICATION 950 - 1200 CFM DUAL INLET$2995/Setup per application

I propose a name change...

Greenback
Platinumback
Goldback
Unobtainiumback

That's some EXPENSIVE stuff right there.

I did one EFI conversion using the FAST system. Had issues, took it to a FAST rep shop. Still isn't right.

I'm out on the EFI conversion.

I was gonna get EFI on my 496 build to keep the height down and fit my cowl hood. A very knowledgeable Mopar guy near here is also a Holley EFI tech rep. He said he wouldn't do my Demon unless I let him rewire the entire car as the 44 yr old wiring was spurious and would not provide a good voltage / ground. Staying with the carb.

-
Back