Single or Dual Pattern Cam

-
What cam is better for the building of my small block? One of the posts earlier suggested a LSA of a 108*. I went through some of the lunati cams and I seen a cam with 275* and 220* at 0.050", I think that the lift was. 475 Both the LSA and ICL were 108*. I know that I've been given suggestions on a cam which I'm going to write down that information as well, wanted to know what you guys think about this cam.

Insure wish you’d stop making thing confusing!

For a 360, a 108 LSA would be preference.
How about actual cam specs and please don’t post links.

Engine Masters just did a comparison of split pattern and single pattern cams using manifolds and headers on 372 SBC with 10.5 to 1 compression. The split pattern made more power in every configuration.

i saw that. was going to mention it.

Engine Masters just did a comparison of split pattern and single pattern cams using manifolds and headers on 372 SBC with 10.5 to 1 compression. The split pattern made more power in every configuration.
I thought it made a hair more torque in the lower rpm range.
Way back when………
I guess that’s why a lot of guys used 1.5 I & 1.6 E on there rides!

It sure was easier decades ago before the internet. Look at some catalogs, read the specs, the characteristics and what was needed (c.r., intake, exhaust, gears etc) and make a choice. Back in the early 90’s I picked a version of this cam for a 400 b-block in 70 pickup, actually had a little lope considering the specs, but I picked it based on what I had. Was a great cam, throttle response, pull etc. Just an example:
Erson-PBM-World-B2C | E420121 - Erson Cams - Chrysler A V8 TQ20H

Sometimes doing it the old fashioned way is all one really needs, IDK, but so far for the OP it sounds like the symptoms of “TMI” :lol: You’ll get it figured one way or the other.:)

It sure was easier decades ago before the internet. Look at some catalogs, read the specs, the characteristics and what was needed (c.r., intake, exhaust, gears etc) and make a choice. Back in the early 90’s I picked a version of this cam for a 400 b-block in 70 pickup, actually had a little lope considering the specs, but I picked it based on what I had. Was a great cam, throttle response, pull etc. Just an example:
Erson-PBM-World-B2C | E420121 - Erson Cams - Chrysler A V8 TQ20H

Sometimes doing it the old fashioned way is all one really needs, IDK, but so far for the OP it sounds like the symptoms of “TMI” :lol: You’ll get it figured one way or the other.:)
It was somewhat....but the old dang Crane catalog......that thing would sometimes have "rough idle" by one, you get it and it idle smooth as silk. Course the more we learned about this stuff, the more we could tell ourselves, but sometimes those descriptions were way off base. lol

It was somewhat....but the old dang Crane catalog......that thing would sometimes have "rough idle" by one, you get it and it idle smooth as silk. Course the more we learned about this stuff, the more we could tell ourselves, but sometimes those descriptions were way off base. lol
I never actually bought a cam from Crane, but I’ve read or heard long ago more than a few times that their descriptions were often more than what it actually was (and now you do as well!) I know that was why I never went with them the few times I bought cams back in the days of only catalogs. Like you say, the more we learn the more you know what you’re looking at.

I never actually bought a cam from Crane, but I’ve read or heard long ago more than a few times that their descriptions were often more than what it actually was (and now you do as well!) I know that was why I never went with them the few times I bought cams back in the days of only catalogs. Like you say, the more we learn the more you know what you’re looking at.
It's like a lot of the descriptions even now. You see where it says something like "RPM range 1000-4500" and you know dang well it'll pull stumps till 6500. lol It's all about the combination. That just caint be repeated enough.

Wonder if the poor rod ratio had anything to do with that.

Some old high jacked info I keep !!

Screenshot_20211206-223309.png

We don't know **** here man, you need to figure out what you want to do with your car. You are making this too complicated.

Example;

1) The car has a 7 1/4 2.76 pegleg, tire height is 26". Don't even get a lunati 10200701 if you are planning to run that rear end, even that cam will destroy it within a couple of years of beatings.

2) The car has a dana 60 with 456 gearing.
Go nuts.

If I remember correctly, you are just cruising around in a 4bbl 318, right.
The perfect cam does not exist! Get good enough. Read RustyRatRod's guide to hot rod bliss.

Or go down the road at 6,000 rpm. What does that sound like, how often do you do that? Where do you do most of your driving? Go to lunati or comp or isky or crane and find a cam that is designed for that rpm range where you do drive.

If you want to have that rumpitty-rumpitty, look at the Hughes whiplash line or the comp thumper/motherthumper line
Or call a cam grinder.
Eventually you are going to have to pick one and go with it, and don't forget about buying the correct converter.
Brutal,,, BUT Truth...

In that case, I would suggest something similar to the largest Comp solid, but ground on either a 108 or a 106 LSA. Ken Heard at Oregon Cam Grinders can make it happen very reasonably.
I've read ALOT of good stuff here on him. He can even Re-Grind... course my thick head cain't grasp how, you could add lift... welding?

Back in the early 80s, Comp cams was a new company. They became popular very quickly, mostly due to some smart marketing IMO. I remember when the "Magnum" line came out, the ads said, " The 280 Magnum has a very racey idle in small blocks, mildly racey idle in big blocks. The 292 Magnum will make you the KING OF THE DRIVE-IN". Guess which cam I bought. LOL

I've read ALOT of good stuff here on him. He can even Re-Grind... course my thick head cain't grasp how, you could add lift... welding?
Imagine "where" on the cam core the lobe is. A good cam grinder can put that lobe anywhere on that core he wants it. In other words, he can move the lobe so that, even though he's ground some off, it will lift the valve more than it did before. Of course, a lot of times an engine will require longer pushrods.

Imagine "where" on the cam core the lobe is. A good cam grinder can put that lobe anywhere on that core he wants it. In other words, he can move the lobe so that, even though he's ground some off, it will lift the valve more than it did before. Of course, a lot of times an engine will require longer pushrods.
Ahhh, now the Carpenter/ Drywall guy digs it! Thanks Brother! Basically, like I Can, AND HAVE, literally, Raised a Roof, it still has to have " Legs"! But...I just still caint get it.. ain't Max Lift the pointy, narrow ( like my head..) of the lobe?

Ahhh, now the Carpenter/ Drywall guy digs it! Thanks Brother! Basically, like I Can, AND HAVE, literally, Raised a Roof, it still has to have " Legs"! But...I just still caint get it.. ain't Max Lift the pointy, narrow ( like my head..) of the lobe?
Yes. Imagine the cam grinder MOVING the whole lobe on the core so the peak of the lobe is higher than it was. Of course that also means the base circle will be "lower" necessitating longer pushrods. Get it?

What cam is better for the building of my small block? One of the posts earlier suggested a LSA of a 108*. I went through some of the lunati cams and I seen a cam with 275* and 220* at 0.050", I think that the lift was. 475 Both the LSA and ICL were 108*. I know that I've been given suggestions on a cam which I'm going to write down that information as well, wanted to know what you guys think about this cam.

As for single vs dual, if you have a balanced intake exhaust tract theoretically single pattern, which most of us don't so dual pattern.

As for the question above, depends.
Picking a cam depends exactly what you want out of your combo and your own personal taste, the more things you expect out of your combo to be able to do the harder to find the right balance and might have to try few.

If I wanted a cam, with 108 lsa I'd go through all the cam companies look for the ones that will work in the powerband I'm looking for and narrow the choices down.
Depending what heads we're talking about cam lifts will be in the .450-.550 range I'd use the ones with more lift.

Wait a Minute... so are you saying, when the Re Grinding occurs, ya can
Yes. Imagine the cam grinder MOVING the whole lobe on the core so the peak of the lobe is higher than it was. Of course that also means the base circle will be "lower" necessitating longer pushrods. Get it?
DIG IT, MY BROTHER!!!!! Thank You! That clears up alot! Hence, my reading about many members needing O/S push rods.... Cam Bumps lifters, lifters push pushrods, pushrods rock the rockers, rockers roll ( not in my case, lol) the valves, the valves open, and the Mopar Survives, to run again! So,basically, the guys like Ken save on the cores... that's Recycling right There! Those commies, whoops "Green folks" should be Proud of us! Lol! Are they still needed to be "broke in" after the grind? As the old location of the lifters ain't the same? Sorry to be a HemmaRoid

You mean, the rocker ratio? Man, that's Slick!
Yes, rocker ratio’s split between intake and exhaust. Guys would use the 1.6 on the exhaust for a little extra lift and a smidge of duration. If your car picked up a little, then it was a close to perfect cam for the combo, or if it picked up a lot, then the cam was to small.
Once in a while, guys would do the reverse, 1.6 intake, 1.5 exhaust and see what happens.

It wasn’t long after that the split pattern cams exploded in the catalogs and became popular.

People try all sorts of stuff.

I had a pretty radical street cam, A Hyd. single pattern, an old time Crane ground on a 106. After messing with the rocker ratios, I used Rhodes lifters only on the intake lobes.

Now if the combo was good to begin with, I wouldn’t have done this move but it did mello the idle & help the car be a bit better around town lowering the rpm range of the cam.

The real power in the cam rpm wise was after 3200 easy. Since the Rhodes lifters pump up by then, I say it wasn’t a big deal in WOT performance since I was ignoring everything under 3500 as far as torque was concerned with that cam being used, but around town, the Rhodes lifters helped out a lot.

It was a band-aid fix that worked great.

Dan,
If you are using headers, I would use a SP cam. Also, read the Isky Cams Tech Tips: is extra exh duration really necessary

Dan,
If you are using headers, I would use a SP cam. Also, read the Isky Cams Tech Tips: is extra exh duration really necessary
I'm going to be using headers, probably 1 5/8" long tube headers. I didn't realize all that went into camshaft selection, back in the day we would put a cam, headers, 4 barrel carburetor in our cars and we thought that we had a fast car when in fact it probably ran terrible. A 108* LSA has been recommended for me. I trust the recommendation but I think that it would be a good idea for me to still read up on camshafts so that I have a better understanding of what's all involved with doing the proper selection of parts. Everyone on here has made this more interesting to me.

Wait a Minute... so are you saying, when the Re Grinding occurs, ya can

DIG IT, MY BROTHER!!!!! Thank You! That clears up alot! Hence, my reading about many members needing O/S push rods.... Cam Bumps lifters, lifters push pushrods, pushrods rock the rockers, rockers roll ( not in my case, lol) the valves, the valves open, and the Mopar Survives, to run again! So,basically, the guys like Ken save on the cores... that's Recycling right There! Those commies, whoops "Green folks" should be Proud of us! Lol! Are they still needed to be "broke in" after the grind? As the old location of the lifters ain't the same? Sorry to be a HemmaRoid
Not at all. Askin questions is how we learn. I'm still learnin everyday.

-
Back