Status
Not open for further replies.

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
Anyone know of a 360 single plane intake with the offset thermostat housing to clear the later A/C pumps? Have all kinds of dual plane cast iron pieces, but looking for aluminum single plane.

Show me a pic of what you are looking for.
Are you saying you want an intake with 4 screw holes around the housing so you can clock it?

I will be taking a Weiand Excellerator off my 340 soon.

the later engins after 84? i think had the t stat housing turned at an angle to clear the later a/c comp i aheva a hollet street dominator but cant rmember if its got the turned housing mt on it

okay, this is what I need. A single plane 360 intake with the offset thermostat housing. Earlier engines had the t-stat housing set pretty much deadnuts in the centerline of the intake. Later engines, which had the rotary A/C pump (the manufacturers name escapes me) bracketed to the water pump and the intake (small "L"-shaped reinforcement bracket which bolts to the A/C pump and the intake) have the t-stat housing offset to the left bank and angled away from pump for clearance. The size and shape of the rotary pump necessitates the t-stat housing being offset and angled. I guess if you had to attach a year to it then '84 would be about right, but this is going into an '82 M-body with the exact same application.
This engine was originally built for Jamison's Duster (he goes by dodgepower on here) and later put into an '82 Diplomat. Here's the grocery list of parts: Offy single plane intake between 2.02 heads, three angle cut, bronze guides, pocket and swirl ported (Pop spent about 40 hours at the bench cutting these heads open) on top of a block bored .030 over, given the bulletproof treatment on the bottom end. Purpleshaft cam 284 advertised, .484 lift "square." 750 3310 Holley and whole list of other goodies. Didn't worry about A/C in the Duster, it was a hot rod. The combo of heads, intake and carb gave this engine better throttle response than most injected cars (I'm Ford certified in OBDII drivability and work on injected cars a lot) and was a real nightmare on the street.
Now that the engine is in the Diplomat it's been detuned with a set of stock J heads, which is soon to be remedied: the big heads are going back on, along with a set of headers, and the 3310 that made such a difference. But the Dip is an original A/C car and both my wife and mother have a hard time dealing with the heat of the summer and I want them to be able to enjoy the car, while bringing back the original street performance the engine. was built with.
This car has been in the family for almost as long as Jamison's Duster, been owned by my parents and my wife while we were engaged, so it would be nice if all could enjoy it again. If you're of the mind for a long story about how this car was bought by my parents, sold a couple of times and kept coming back to them drop me a line at [email protected] and give you the whole story on a bad penny. You might get a kick out of it.

An offset thermostat housing? Hummm,
FWIW, I have a TorkerII 360 from Edelbrock and it will except ethier large or small thermostat housings. The A/C brackets can, or should be able to be swapped out in order to move the pump over if need be.

Your newer A/C pump is a problem because it is longer right?

Currently, as it sits, the rotary A/C pump, which bolts to the top of the engine overhangs the t-stat housing, putting the rear of the pump directly over top of the t-stat, less than an inch above the intake. Not enough clearance. If you've seen the 4bbl intakes used on later cop 318s compared to (or even the TBI intake on my '89 truck) as compared to earlier intakes you'll see what I mean. The t-stat is moved toward the left bank.

The LEFT bank would be the driverside? Just wanna be crystal on this.

The TorkerII 360 I have has the thermostat moved over to the driverside. It is not centered.

the left bank is always the driver's side (engine viewed as if you were looking out the windshield. Think in nautical terms, port is the left of the boat facing the bow, no matter which direction you're standing.) no matter what the V engine, no matter who the manufacturer. Thanks for the info on the Torker II. Now for another couple of questions: does it have a bolt hole drilled and tapped next to the t-stat housing almost center line of the intake? And does anyone have one for sale in good shape? By good shape I mean, hasn't been cut?

Thank,
Robert

Hummmmm, The T-stat is off set, let me dig up some pictures out of the computer.

OK, heres 3 shots, front left right sides of the intake. I think this will answer the question at hand. I'm not understanding the
a bolt hole drilled and tapped next to the t-stat housing almost center line of the intake?
part.

However, I'll sell this. If you want it, let me know, I just went outside and double checked the carb holes, there fine. I've owned this since new ('89) and it is dead stock OOTB condition. Painted in the color aluminum right now. Though these pictures do not show it as such.

000_0070.jpg

000_0071.jpg

000_0073.jpg

Are the pipe plugs in the intake blocking off water passages? If they are this the intake I'm looking for, I can move the heater hose back to one of the pipe plugs and that will allow the A/C pump free clearance to hole (sorry, got it wrong as to location, just checked my stock dual plane) for the rear bracket. Now I guess the next question is price.

Are the pipe plugs in the intake blocking off water passages? If they are this the intake I'm looking for, I can move the heater hose back to one of the pipe plugs and that will allow the A/C pump free clearance to hole (sorry, got it wrong as to location, just checked my stock dual plane) for the rear bracket. Now I guess the next question is price.

Yes, 4 out of 5 water holes are pluged up with the square pipe ends. The one with the pipe for a water outlet has been in there a long time. Theres only one temp sender in there now, I had to use one and in it's place is a black oxide (sp?) plug.

How's a $100 to your door sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back