Single wire conversion

-
A bunch of people have. There is pros and cons depending on things. Old wiring or new. Where is the battery mounted. What added draw is going to be on the system and such.

your best friend will be this…. Tons and tons of info already in threads….

0108889E-1F9A-42C2-9797-DE4D3C14EADD.png

Ouch, but point taken. Making my own harness, probably moving battery to the trunk for weight distribution, going to make it a distributed power buss.

I see no real reason for a one-wire especially with a trunk mount battery, and in some cases it makes NHRA mandated disconnect more difficult. IF YOU do use a "one wire" and you race, and therefore need a disconnect please research how to do this properly.

You need MUCH larger/ oversized charge wire because the "sense" IS the charge wire, therefore voltage drop is much more of an issue.

If you use a disconnect, buy a good heavy FOUR terminal switch so you can "break" the ignition circuit/ relay.

If you are using an aftermarket wiring harness, great. If you are using the stock harness/ bulkhead connector, make certain you upgrade /inspect/ repair the bulkhead connector and ammeter circuit, or do a bypass

I see no real reason for a one-wire especially with a trunk mount battery, and in some cases it makes NHRA mandated disconnect more difficult. IF YOU do use a "one wire" and you race, and therefore need a disconnect please research how to do this properly.

You need MUCH larger/ oversized charge wire because the "sense" IS the charge wire, therefore voltage drop is much more of an issue.

If you use a disconnect, buy a good heavy FOUR terminal switch so you can "break" the ignition circuit/ relay.

If you are using an aftermarket wiring harness, great. If you are using the stock harness/ bulkhead connector, make certain you upgrade /inspect/ repair the bulkhead connector and ammeter circuit, or do a bypass

THanks, going to use master disconnect relays back my the battery, volt meter instead of ammeter, making my own harness from scratch.

This is a good thread on battery in trunk setups questions about battery disconnect wiring
Crackedback's design works with a one wire alternator.
Note this is the Racer forums
The more electric loads, the more advantage to sensed voltage at a location closer to the loads. Many race cars have very little electrical demands.

I use a 4ga wire from the alternator to the trunk-mounted battery for charging (fused on both ends with a megafuse). Alternator charges the battery just fine. The point as mentioned is to be sure to run a sufficiently sized single wire!

-
Back