Six pack carb ?'s

-
Good call brother on my goof (get'n old'r), sorry bout that. Yea... as I now recall, you are indeed correct: I originally had a set of Vette vacuum carbs for this build but swapped them for these (better) Ford/PAR carbs from an old poke at a show... and yes they are the Ford Nascar Holley carbs that Holley had a pile of when Ford abandon that setup in their race Program back in .... geez.. I think in 70/71...? Holley was nun-too-happy with Ford... and Mopar picked them up for a song and (as I recall) sold them through the Direct Connection program.

Anyway... 6-packs sure have that cool factor, and the rush when they're all on-board, BUT for the tuning hassle and the odd driving behavior, I can see why they didn't last long. A good modern 4 barrel & intake, or FI.... yea... I can see why the 6-pack quickly slipped away...BUT visually it still kicks *** over a single carb.... ha, ha... :finga:

Aaaah...I just noticed this post really doesn't answer any applicable questions or address the prime topic...... 8-[... soooo I guess I'll go now.

We'll, yea it did for me. I have found out that YES you can use the RB carbs on the SB. Just better off using them in a high performance stroker build. Considering I'm planning on a 4.25 stroke, that puts me into the 433+ C.I.D. arena. A mere 7 cubes smaller than the 440. Also considering the planned build with ported Edelbrock heads and a solid roller, I believe the carbs will work well. I just didn't know what if any differences there may have been.

While I often see a carb as a carb, the internal parts and passages could be different. I'm sure metering between a hundred cubic inches is different. This may require something I'm missing. It could have been a totally different carb internally. And I could understand why! A hundred inches is a lot. And so are there HP & Tq. ratings.

The noted mechanical mod, is something I'm not sure I want to pursue. Honestly I like the idea. Mechanical 4bbl. carbs I love. A Holley DP or Carter with a very weakly applied air door is a wonderfully hot set up behind something strong and with a 4spd, even better!

You 4spd guys that can row the snot out of your boat know what I'm talking about. It's great when someone asks you what kind of shift kit is in your car because they need and want yours. Until you show them the 3rd pedal because you have to since they don't believe you.

410, perhaps you mean the idle seloniod? An electrical thing on the side of the intake just under the center carb?

EL5, I certainly plan to have the intake fully ported. Some runners slightly dip downwards. I do not know how well it will port out and flow, but is has to be a nice advantage when done.

The Mod man intake above is an interesting idea. How would it fit to the '70 AAR hood?

Yeah that's what I was talking about.As for the mod man intake.It looks shorter than the stocker so you might could get the right carb spacers to get the breather up high enough to seal on the hood.BTW I have a 72 340 cuda and I love your plan for your.It will be awsome.

Thanks man. I also picked up carb spacers for possible use on something else.
I have an Edelbrock carb scoop. It attachs to the carbs. I'll get a picture later. I was also considering a 400 B block with a 6 pack and the scoop through the hood. That's for later though. 1 project at a time!

(Though I'm always collecting for others.)

-
Back