SKS or AK47

-
A receiver flat, is just a stamped receiver. It is flat. You have to bend it, then weld/bolt in the lower rails... It's all actually easy-peasy... Whole lot online to show you. Used to be, parties. Everyone shows up, everyone helped out. But I guess the gubment said you can't do that anymore.

I don’t know about a Remington 760 or w/e model was thrown out there. You can still get 80% lowers and pistol frames that require tooling but have no serial number.

I don’t know about a Remington 760 or w/e model was thrown out there. You can still get 80% lowers and pistol frames that require tooling but have no serial number.

I didn't say anything about the remington, yes a flat is considered an 80%. They now have pretty drilled flats as well. I will say, if you want one, get it now while you can...

I didn't say anything about the remington, yes a flat is considered an 80%. They now have pretty drilled flats as well. I will say, if you want one, get it now while you can...

I’ve been looking at the AR lowers but I would defiantly buy the jig to help as well.

I have a Chinese sks and love it!! Its a great gun very accurate and reliable never had a jam or ftf. I have never owned an ak although iv always wanted one. One thing i do like better about the ak is it has a removable magazine where as the sks takes stripper clips. Not a deal breaker but I prefer mags. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Man, over the years, I've had about everything.
From my experience, the SKS is going to probably be more accurate, but a little harder to load.
You can swap mags on an AK in the blink of an eye. And the SKS doesn't have that cool military rifle vibe to it. I've shot plenty of both, but I'd probably pick the AK, mainly because 30 round mags are awesome, and stripper clips for an SKS are not.
BTW, I currently own an FN-FAL, and I agree with that guy. But that's in a whole different league.

You can swap mags on an AK in the blink of an eye. And the SKS doesn't have that cool military rifle vibe to it. I've shot plenty of both, but I'd probably pick the AK, mainly because 30 round mags are awesome, and stripper clips for an SKS are not.

Yeah, but you can always doctor them up, lol.

SKS .JPG

Yeah, but you can always doctor them up, lol.

View attachment 1715393856
I agree, they can be doctored up!
I've never priced the parts though, and I gotta admit, I like the feel of an AK. It just feels "right".
I wonder how a doctored SKS feels. Is the balance fubar because of the lighter buttock and heavier magazine? The OP might take how each rifle feels to him personally into account before buying one.

You can get larger Magazines for the SKS. Not difficult to change out ,I put a Muzzle brake on mine , acuuracy is good for a service rifle, You can get different stocks too. If you need to use the bayonet you need to learn to shoot better - If can,t hit my target before they get that close I don't need a gun. i don't regret getting the SKS good brush gun , does what it is supposed to. Never owned an AK -Like My Colt AR better

I'm torn between the two.
I've literally picked both up out of the sand and fired them.
I guess If it were me, I'd just have look both over and which ever one wasn't loose as a goose is the one I'd pick.

I'm torn between the two.
I've literally picked both up out of the sand and fired them.
I guess If it were me, I'd just have look both over and which ever one wasn't loose as a goose is the one I'd pick.
We confiscated and destroyed them.

Thanks for all the advise guys
I ended up going with the AK
It's a lighter gun, and target acquisition felt more natural with it

Anyone have any good leads on ammo for these?

And I'm thinking of getting hollow points, soft points, or jacketed hollow points, rather then FMJ, just in case I need to aim it at something breathing...will that be an issue with most ranges ?

FMJ is best with jacketed soft or hollow points next. In 7.62 x 39, you really don’t need to be worried about knock down power.

I use FMJ exclusively in mine.

Just don’t buy the copper cased ammo. It is corrosive.

And I'm thinking of getting hollow points, soft points, or jacketed hollow points, rather then FMJ, just in case I need to aim it at something breathing...will that be an issue with most ranges ?

Www.GunBroker.com I like the Tula, or the wolf, but none of them are what you want. Look around, watch, maybe something will come up. But if it's brass cased in the x39... I bet it won't be shooter friendly $ wise

FMJ is best with jacketed soft or hollow points next. In 7.62 x 39, you really don’t need to be worried about knock down power.

I use FMJ exclusively in mine.

Just don’t buy the copper cased ammo. It is corrosive.
The main reason I thought a FMJ wouldn't be appropriate is because I dont want to shoot through a coyote and into a house 3 blocks down

The AK will fire with well with any ammo...go cheap. Tula and Wolf brands work very well, Wolf's powder seems to be more sooty. I purchased a tin at a gun show, no need to go expensive.

888590_01_7_62x39_7_62x39mm_7_62_ammo_am_640.jpg

Can’t recall the website but there was one I used that would compare prices and shows the best deals on a ton of different websites for any caliber you selected.

-
Back