SL6 Gear Drive

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
anybody used/modified one for slant six duty? i have seen some before but not for sale...

so the question is anybody know where to get one or if SB/BB ones can be modded to work.

Thanks!

anybody used/modified one for slant six duty? i have seen some before but not for sale...

so the question is anybody know where to get one or if SB/BB ones can be modded to work.

Thanks!

Why in the world would you want one? Unless you get one with an idler system, you'd need a reverse-rotation cam. Then what about the oil pump? And, distributor...

And for what?

Tell me in what way this is going to be worth all that complication... please.:wack:

I am sure he would be using an idler gear. I have actually never seen a gear drive without an idler gear. The advantage is they are extremely acurate and they do not wear out.

I belt drive setup would be something to look at too. They are easy to replace and they require no oiling.

Why in the world would you want one? Unless you get one with an idler system, you'd need a reverse-rotation cam. Then what about the oil pump? And, distributor...

And for what?

Tell me in what way this is going to be worth all that complication... please.:wack:

lol bill...

I am sure he would be using an idler gear. I have actually never seen a gear drive without an idler gear. The advantage is they are extremely acurate and they do not wear out.

I belt drive setup would be something to look at too. They are easy to replace and they require no oiling.

exactly... now you mention the belt i may think about that!! though i like the whine!!

Thank God my engine is together,you would've had me trying that idea too !!!!:banghead:

not 100% on this but I seem to remember that the slant used similar gears and chains as the big blocks but you may want to compare them.

Ed,

The silence is deafening... :profilel:

gear drives are not a hard setup...

not 100% on this but I seem to remember that the slant used similar gears and chains as the big blocks but you may want to compare them.

correct, the crank gear and chain are the same. on the cam gear the depth of the cutout is deeper on the 440 gear i beleive, not a hard fix. just have to have the cam drilled for a three bolt which would help hold it together.

on that same note im thinking about even going belt for quick cam degreeing at the track

A Pete Jackson big block gear drive will work. You have to make a spacer .280 thick for the cam, as the crank gear is forward that much compared to a big block crankshaft. We run both the Green Grenade and the Lancer with gear drives.

A Pete Jackson big block gear drive will work. You have to make a spacer .280 thick for the cam, as the crank gear is forward that much compared to a big block crankshaft. We run both the Green Grenade and the Lancer with gear drives.

awesome! thought about the next step and go belt drive? also do you have a part number and is that gear drive a three bolt?

Cam gear is three bolt, but you make the spacer also an adapter from three bolt to single bolt. We run one on the Grenade engine.

Cam gear is three bolt, but you make the spacer also an adapter from three bolt to single bolt. We run one on the Grenade engine.

wouldn't just be easier to drill the cam for three bolt? i mean .280" isn't much for a bolt head and material left. do you have a pic?

No photo available since it is in the engine. The bolt we used was a socket flat head for the center. With the equipment I have it was easy to make the spacer. Not sure I could drill the cam with success.
The next project for the Lancer will be a belt drive and a new oil pan. I have a used Jesel belt drive that I am going to adapt to the slant. Big block chevy also has the same cam to crank centerline but I don't know if crank gear ID is compatible.

No photo available since it is in the engine. The bolt we used was a socket flat head for the center. With the equipment I have it was easy to make the spacer. Not sure I could drill the cam with success.
The next project for the Lancer will be a belt drive and a new oil pan. I have a used Jesel belt drive that I am going to adapt to the slant. Big block chevy also has the same cam to crank centerline but I don't know if crank gear ID is compatible.

so is the spacer thick enough to have enough material between the bolt head and cam face as well as bolt face to gear? .280 thick spacer dosn't leave alot of material!

There is no load on the spacer front to back, it is all side load from the valve train. It worked in the Grenade with no problems turning 6600 with a Crower 68369 valve spring.

how would you manage to go belt drive? the timing cover is oil lubericated...

also timing belts suck, they wear quicker; and need to be replaced sooner

There is no load on the spacer front to back, it is all side load from the valve train. It worked in the Grenade with no problems turning 6600 with a Crower 68369 valve spring.

ok cool

how would you manage to go belt drive? the timing cover is oil lubericated...

also timing belts suck, they wear quicker; and need to be replaced sooner

yea but you have the ability to change cam timing at the track which is great for tuning!

will probably go gear drive though... im gonna need it when i build my roller motor :-D

I'm running a geardrive system machined in Victoria, Australia by Diecrest engineering. I don't think they are available anymore, but you could check. I've been running it for about 4 years, trouble free.

Always like the idea of gear drive. I have a 63 230 Chevy 6 cyl and they came from the factory with gear drive. It gots the wheels turning my head about a set up for the slant, sounds like a lot of people had the same thought. Thanks for the heads up on the swap, now to add gear drive to my list of mods....

Shame it's out of stock and shipping would probably be unpleasant. US$ to AUS$ is pretty much 1:1

Well there's the link. you can keep an eye out. I feel sure they'll make some more.

that's purty but pricey, time to put the think cap on...

Ed have you actually seen the Comp slant timing set? It's a very beefy single roller. It's pretty hefty.

-
Back