Slack in steering shaft

-

shadango

Reaction score
I found that the steering wheel on my car was just sitting on the shaft, no nut...ok , no big deal, if I can find the nut (can i get a "help" part for this maybe?)

But I found that I can push/pull the steering shaft in and out about an inch...this movement is at the power steering pump end of things......I also seem to have a small leak there from messing around. Car isnt running yet so cant tell how bad the leak is.....

SO questions:

-Is the slop normal or something that needs addressed? Or will the slack be taken up once I get a nut on it? Or am I in for a repair of the pump and how tough is it?

-If I can figure out a way to do it, can I attach a drill to the pump to similate it working so I can test the pump? I bought new fluid -- Lucas Oil Power Steering Fluid/Stop leak...guaranteed to stop leaks....

Thanks guys

Forgive me, I am so confused. The steering shaft doesn't go any where near the steering pump.
If you have a lot of in and out movement (pulling in and out on the steering wheel) the problem is probable in the steering shaft.
One of Chryslers answers to a calapsible steering column for saftey was to make the shaft in two pieces, slide them together and pin them with a type of plastic.
The pins can be destroyed buy jurking on the steering wheel to get it off the shaft. It can be repaired by removing the shaft and repining it.

Sorry....I probably am calling it the wrong thing....

The steering shaft it self is what I am pulling in and out on.....

If I go under the hood, I can see the rod/shaft coming out of the power steering pump moving in and out.....there doesnt seem to be any movement at the joint where that sahft joins the shaft that goes into the firewall from the engine side....

Does that make sense?

Do you mean, you see the shaft of the power steering GEAR moving in and out about an inch?
If so you must have about half a turn of slop in you steering wheel!

Do you mean, you see the shaft of the power steering GEAR moving in and out about an inch?
If so you must have about half a turn of slop in you steering wheel!

No, a little slop but not much.....Thats why I am thinking that maybe once I secure the nut on the steering wheel it will be fine.....

Guess I will have to try and see.....

Now if I can just find a steering shaft nut.....any chance its standard enough that I can pick one up at a parts store?

None of that makes sense about the whole shaft slipping that much. The steering columns I have taken apart all had snap rings and C-clips on the shaft that prevent it from moving in/out. They are located in the middle housing of the upper column - they sandwich the upper column bearing. Maybe someone has been into the column before and did not re-install everything properly.

Jerry

None of that makes sense about the whole shaft slipping that much. The steering columns I have taken apart all had snap rings and C-clips on the shaft that prevent it from moving in/out. They are located in the middle housing of the upper column - they sandwich the upper column bearing. Maybe someone has been into the column before and did not re-install everything properly.

Jerry

Dunno....but if I pukll all the way out on the shaft and then put a pair of vice grips on the shaft where it enters the upper part of the power steering box it is solid...

Keep in mind that I dont have the wheel/crush can on yet....could be that the wheel/cruch can is what keeps that slack taken up? Thats what I am hoping...first gotta fix the buggerd up mushroomed thread on the shaft....:angry7:

Are you talking about the splined input shaft of the steering gear box (first picture below), or are you talking about the steering shaft (second picture) that comes down through the column from the steering wheel?

As I said, the steering shaft should have absolutely no movement. If it's your gear box input shaft, that sounds like a definite problem.

Steering Shaft 02.jpg

Coupler 01.JPG

Jerry

Hey Jerry.....

Turns out you are spot on.......

I am missing a snapring (among other things).....just cant figure out how it goes together gievn the position of my bearing.

Well, LOL, now it looks like I need some guts for my steering column --

I removed the column today after some advice that the column had to at least be pulled back some to get the pot coupler apart....decided to do the work on the bench... and tore it down.....surprisingly easy and found out a few things.....I had some movement between the lock housing and the column itself.....turns out two screws of the 4 were loose and one is missing....that seemes to be what was causing a little up/down slop I had in the column....so that issue should be cured once I get that missing screw....

So I need that screw to start.....

Next....looks like someone removed the following from the column (part numbers are referrng to this photo:)

columnparts01.jpg

-retaining plate 19-14-23 (goes in front of the signalswitch assembly)
- need one of the three screws that holds the signal switch assembly and retainer in
- one of the two snap rings is missing (#19-4-4)
-sleeve #19-14-123, the lock plates (2) and 2 pins, and the two levers for the lock plate...though for the life of me I cannot see any hole for the pin for the lock plate as shown in the above diagram and in my manual (my care is a 72)
- key light bracket and screw (light itself was stuffed inside of column) -no part #
-column lock plate

also, the upper bearing feels gritty when turning it so is in need of replacement

seal 19-14-68 (at lower end of column) is missing.....the retainer #19-14-73 is there but probably needs replaced too...

the sheer pin appears to have been replaced with epoxy on one side....

need the dial indicator window or whatever goes in front of the light unit....

will also need the foam gasket for when the column goes back in...

so, should I just look for a new column or can I get these parts reasonable?

I also have other questions like--

-- what is the purpose of the "depress lever and turn key" unit at the back of the front side of the column? Can I assume that section i supposed to tie in with the locking plate and such that is missing on mine? Mine just sits there...will spring back if moved though....just doesnt DO anything.

-- I think the lack of the locking plate and sleeve, plus the missing snap ring could be the reason I have the in/out slack in my column.....can anyone confirm? Or can I get by without the locking stuff on the column and have no in/out slop?

--what is the point of having the illuminated "dial indicator" on my car, as its a console car.....? The manual shows it, even for console cars.....mine has the light in it and all....what gives with this part?

-- do you remove the cross pin at the lower end of the shaft or leave it alone? If you have to replace it what is the best way to remove the old one?

Ironically, I pulled the column to ease working on the pot coupler to get rid of the slop I have...The pot coupler looked surprisingly in good shape and had grease packed in it and all, though the seal is shot....so I fear that the slop I have is in the missing parts and not the pot coupler...

Would appreciate any advice you would have here...

First, you have to sign up on the web site you referenced to be able to view the picture. See if you can save that image to your computer and then add it to your post here as an attachment.

Second, you are missing so many major components, it might make more sense trying to locate another column. You will have the slop until you replace most all of those missing parts. The spring-loaded rear third of the housing with the "depress lever to remove key" is just that... with all the locking hub and other parts installed, you really do have to press the lever down toward the floor so you can remove your key - it leaves the steering wheel locked for anti-theft purposes (more modern cars began using buttons, etc. you have to press).

You need to find someone with a discarded column they won't mind gutting for you (rendering theirs useless) or replace yours completely. To be honest, I have not seen a column for a floor shift car, but it doesn't make sense to have the gear select indicator on the column - its on the console where you actually change gears. Maybe someone with an original can post pics.

Jerry

Sorry! Fixed the image link...

I heard elsewhere that many folks remove the lock mechanism for the track so they can shut down quickly without the steering being locked in the event of a stuck throttle etc.....I dont care if the column locks or not...just want to get rid of the slop...I think the missing snap ring is the key for me.....if I can find that....

here is another photo...shows the indicator I am talking about....there is no slot on the side for a shifter handle so its not a column shift unit.....

DCP_0126.jpg

I may have a few parts stashed away from a column when I swapped to floor shift. Let me check when I get home this evening. By the way, looks like you have dirt daubers wanting to make your car their home.

Jerry

p.s. Check with Schumacher Creative Services for a set of seals that will include
the one for the floor plate.

I would appreciate it if you could check and let me know what yo uwant for any parts you find....

Yeah, I was digging out those dirt daubers for sure....LOL

I found the seal kit on Schumaker.....Right now I just need the floor seal.....$20 aint bad at all for the kit, but seeing as I would just need the one....seems kinda pricey....

Wondering if I could find it elsewhere or maybe make my own....The one that came off the car isnt that bad really but would like to replace while I have the chance....

First, you have to sign up on the web site you referenced to be able to view the picture. See if you can save that image to your computer and then add it to your post here as an attachment.

Second, you are missing so many major components, it might make more sense trying to locate another column. You will have the slop until you replace most all of those missing parts. The spring-loaded rear third of the housing with the "depress lever to remove key" is just that... with all the locking hub and other parts installed, you really do have to press the lever down toward the floor so you can remove your key - it leaves the steering wheel locked for anti-theft purposes (more modern cars began using buttons, etc. you have to press).

You need to find someone with a discarded column they won't mind gutting for you (rendering theirs useless) or replace yours completely. To be honest, I have not seen a column for a floor shift car, but it doesn't make sense to have the gear select indicator on the column - its on the console where you actually change gears. Maybe someone with an original can post pics.

Jerry

Well, Did some internet sniffing and looked at the manual extra close and then took a look at my column again.

Looks like someone replaced the bearing housing and keylock housing with one from a column shift car....seems to me that the column itself is original since it has the (non working) "depress lever" section where the shifter handle would be on a column shift car....you wouldnt install that on purpose and not make it work.....so maybe someone busted the key housing or something and those sections were replaced.
I contemplated cutting off the indicator box sections and smoothing things out but then I realized that that would be a ton of work for little reward....

My guess is that it will be hard to find those two pieces quickly and cheaply.....so I am going to make lemonade out of lemons and repaint what I have etc and reassemble and use as-is until I can find a column that doesn't have the indicator box.....in the meantime I am going to try and make a lens or something that says "plymouth" or "barracuda" for that section.....no idea how yet but that is the plan...backlighted, thatshould be neat.

I was able to fashion a screw that works to replace the missing one holding the lock housing to the column...

After looking over everything again I am reasonably confident that the locking stuff isnt needed as far as slop in the column goes....we will see I guess...LOL

So for now, gonna try and pull the key cylinder out and then track down paint for it....clean it up and paint it and then reassemble and hope the electrical works...LOL

I figured I should paint the column whatever I paint the dash...which will be black....

I read somewhere that "suede black" is what they used on the column....I think I saw that at Home Depot in spray bombs! Think it will hold up?

So I will just have to buy the upper bearing, the snaprings, the retainer plate and the lower seal....local dealer claims he can get all that stuff , so stopping in tomorrow....

Just as an update:

One of the parts I was looking for is the CRITICAL "lower bearing snap ring".....searched all over looking for one....

Well, I found the critical "lower snap ring"....in KANSAS for crikees sake....

I got a list of 4 places in the MOPAR database from my dealer that was supposed to have it....

1st place -- listed one in stock, but none on shelf
2nd place -- was asked to call back later as their building was on fire (yes, on fire)
3rd -- 4 listed, but none on shelf
4th- 1 in stock, but in a plain bag with a piece of masking tape with the part # on it......$1.20 plus $1.00 to mail......

Its the smallest mastercard charge I think I EVER made....LOL

Good for you. You really never know what you can find at one of the dealers until you ask. The problem I have locally is that I have to give them the part number to look up. They don't have a system that goes back farther than about 1980.

So, what else are you actually looking for?

I lucked out...the dealer here has the book and allowed me to look thru it and find all I needed....

Still looking for:

--retaining plate
-- one bolt for signal switch/retainer plate (have a make-do in place now)
-- one bolt for lock housing/collar to column (have a make-do in place now)
-- key lamp with bracket and screw 9I have a lamp, but no bracket or screw)

I found the lower "steering column jacket to tube seal" but NOT the "steering shaft coupling body seal"....not sure what that one is....

Not really sure what the lower end of my column SHOULD look like...seems to be different every picture I find...LOL

Here is what I have now....

cudacolumnendcu01.jpg

The steering shaft coupling seal is sold separately, but it also comes in a complete repair kit for about $10 (if I recall correctly). The "coupling" is that grease-filled wiggly piece at the very end of your steering column shaft that is splined on the inside to fit over your steering gearbox input shaft. The "seal" is that rubber piece on the top of it that your steering shaft slips through. Many of us have rebuilt those couplings over the years and can walk you through that.

I have the coupling repair kit/seal on its way....

Funny thing though is that the description I gave you was pointing at a round seal in the COLUMN in the picture......so either the picture was wrong or I wrote down the wrong description....

I really need info on what the end of the column is supposed to look like...but I think its different from E bodies to others?

...but I think its different from E bodies to others?

Wait a sec... what kind of car are we talking about - not an A-body .... on this site? Them thar's fightin' words. :boxing:

Seriously, though, I thought we were talking about an A-body (that's all I know about). I went back and looked at the parts page you attached, and it looks very much identical to all columns I have had apart. I bet they are basically the same.

You might want to go over here and ask around:
Forebodiesonly.com

I am having a similar problem with the steering column in my 70 dart swinger (power steering). After i replaced the steering wheel the gear that allows the wheel to be locked in place when the key is turned off is dragging on the metal peice that holds the rod that locks into the gear.(so bad that I can't steer). I can move the entire steering column shaft in and out about a 1/2" when I have the steering wheel off. I can see the movement right above the steering coupler assembly. I'm stumped on how to correct this issue. I have a 71 parts car that is a column shifted auto with power steering. I tore the entire steering column out of that as an experiment and still can't figure out how to correct this issue. Can I just remove the gear under the wheel so the steering wheel doesn't lock anymore? It's spring and I don't want to miss the season.

Any help would be appreciated.

KJB

-
Back