Slant 6 225 swap

-

Jerm

Reaction score
Hi guy my names Jeremy and I just bought a 1972 scamp and I wanna swap a 318 in it and was just wondering what I need and how hard is it ...I don't know hardly anything about cars just a FYI I bought the car and I wanna make this my hobby

it can be done, you will need new motor mounts (schumacher),V8 radiator, you will want at least an 8.25 rearend as a 7.25 might not hold up too long, hopefully you get the transmission along with your 318 to make things go smoother as well.might need a driveshaft. i have never done this swap so i imagine there will be other parts needed than what i had mentioned already. personally i am a huge fan of the slant 6. they can be beefed up as well if you find that an engine swap will be too much for you right now.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 215
Welcome to FABO! You can run a search in this (and other) area to get details on this swap. Many other have asked the same question. Basically, you'll need an engine complete with all the brackets, mounts, pulleys, manifolds, etc.; a transmission to match, exhaust system, radiator (or modify yours) minor wiring mods, and a V8 k-member (or conversion mounts). Recommended upgrades include....better front brakes, stronger rear axle, and a front sway bar. If you get the proper donor, everything is bolt-in so it's a matter of your labor to do it. With the right tools, it's not hard.....just time consuming.

Well it's a stock 225 and I got it about a week ago and my friend drives a 2008 Toyota 4 cyl and he just out right smoked me I don't want a fast car just something better then my friends and all the guys at the car show I went to said I should do a 318 swap I'm only 21 and this is my first car so if making the slant six faster would be easier on me I would do it ... I just don't what I can do personally

either way you go it will be alot of work. a nice set of rearend gears such as 3:55s will really wake your car up. there are some wicked turbo slant sixes out there, check out youtube. if you want to do the V8 swap, then go for a 360 over a 318. it wont be any more work to install it in your car and you will have quite a bit more power. you gotta realize, it gets expensive, you are also competing with cars that have about 40 years of technological advancements. a car with half the motor can make twice the power now a days right out of the box.cars are alot lighter weight now. basically their power to weight ratio is hard to contend with. not trying to scare you, just trying to let you know what you will be in for. anything you want can be done if you have the funding and ambition. i personally am lacking in both anymore. my opinion is if you didnt do anything to your scamp , it is still way cooler than an 08 toyota even if it is slower. get yourself some nice rims and paintjob if you need one and cruise it. learn about your car and gather all the parts you want over time, then when you are ready, get some buddies over and tear into it and get er done over a couple weekends. lots of smart people on here who have done whatever you decide to do , dont be afraid to ask lots of questions. welcome!

I was thinking the 318 cause I still want like 15 mpg I'm not looking to make it super fast just something that when you put the pedal Down it goes cause my scamp is so slow when I put the pedal down I want better 1to 60 speed

first off i hate it when people post ins slant section how they want to get rid of it!!!!

but you can build a really hot slant and still get 16/20 milage... thats what i get with mine and it runs 14's

Attachments

• 100_4573.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 101_4399.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 204
I went to the junk yard and found a parts car with a v8 k frame and got the whole car for 300.If you swap make sure you use a center or front sump oil pan. And i believe as long as you use the same kind of tranny and the same rear end the drive shaft should be fine. But you should upgrade the rear end.

first off i hate it when people post ins slant section how they want to get rid of it!!!!

but you can build a really hot slant and still get 16/20 milage... thats what i get with mine and it runs 14's

Do you still have your full interior ??

Hi guy my names Jeremy and I just bought a 1972 scamp and I wanna swap a 318 in it and was just wondering what I need and how hard is it ...I don't know hardly anything about cars just a FYI I bought the car and I wanna make this my hobby

Since you know hardly anything about cars, the best thing for you to do is learn about the car you have. Learn how to tune it up. Learn how to change the oil. Learn how to adjust the valves,timing. Learn how to adjust the carb.
This is the perfect car/motor to learn with.

Because if you can't do any of this, you are going to be hard pressed to do a V8 change.

Do you still have your full interior ??

front seats, doors/windows/regs havn't been messed with yet!

no carpet or rear seat

weights 3180 before i started it on a diet so it should be down around 3150 now... just messed with the hood and nothing else yet...

Since you know hardly anything about cars, the best thing for you to do is learn about the car you have. Learn how to tune it up. Learn how to change the oil. Learn how to adjust the valves,timing. Learn how to adjust the carb.
This is the perfect car/motor to learn with.

Because if you can't do any of this, you are going to be hard pressed to do a V8 change.

hey your spot on with that johnny!

Yeah it still has full interior I don't want a drag car it's my dailly driver I just want alittle more power and I have changed the oil didn't do a very clean job got every where .... Changed some hoes and vales ... How do I tune up my 6

well spark plugs (remove the washers) cap and rotor, spark plug wires, air cleaner and fuel filter are always a good start!

-
Back