Slant 6 Clutch Z-Bar Length

-

d3fiant1

Reaction score
When looking at my z-bar (torque shaft) it seems to be too short. It measures approx. 8 1/2" and there is a gap of about 1 1/2" on the bellhousing side. I can grab the shaft and move it side to side, so I'm assuming it's the wrong one for my car. Perhaps it's of a v8 car, I don't know. What is the correct length of the shaft and where could I find a replacement?

When looking at my z-bar (torque shaft) it seems to be too short. It measures approx. 8 1/2" and there is a gap of about 1 1/2" on the bellhousing side. I can grab the shaft and move it side to side, so I'm assuming it's the wrong one for my car. Perhaps it's of a v8 car, I don't know. What is the correct length of the shaft and where could I find a replacement?

It also appears that the small bushes are worn at the bellhousing end.
This won't be helping.

That looks about right but the spring clip that is on the fender side is supposed to engage the bushing and keep the z-bar from moving side to side.

If it is short I am pretty sure that I have one on a 1969 Barracuda. It was definately a /6 car.

Year One lists replacement z-bars. Their listing shows the same part for /6 and small block cars. So I'm not sure if mine is wrong or if I just need to replace the bushings and clips. What is the length of your z-bar?

I am no expert, but by the looks of it your bushings are shot! I can measure the one on the parts car I have tomorrow night if you'd like.

Year One lists replacement z-bars. Their listing shows the same part for /6 and small block cars. So I'm not sure if mine is wrong or if I just need to replace the bushings and clips. What is the length of your z-bar?

At least for 67-76 Abodies there is a difference of about 1.5" in the length of the tube between a small block and a \6 with the slant being the longer one. I had to cut down my \6 z-bar just to get it to fit between the frame and the bell housing.

I would be more inclined to look at Brewers web site for those parts than Year One. Brewers specializes in mopar 4spds only.

I underestimated the brilliance of Chrysler engineers. I assumed that the pivots were meant to install all the way into the z-bar tube. Not the case. The fender end bushing is meant to recess only 1/4" into the tube retained by the clip as mentioned earlier. Likewise on the bellhousing side. The z-bar only looked short because the bushings are meant to center the bar also. The bellhousing side floats to allow for engine movement and can be used for /6 and small block applications. With a /6, the bushing is held at the tip of the tube. On small blocks, the bushing simply fits deeper inside the tube. Hence only one z-bar for both applications! Genius.

Of course, I figured this out only after having my z-bar modified. Still the unnecessarily longer z-bar installed without issue. I'll just have to cut off that extra length if I install a small block.

Attachments

• SDC10714.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 208
-
Back