Slant 6 head info

-

Dodge33

Reaction score
I have some /6 question's......... we were at a salvage yard the other day walking down the main road in the yard, looked over and there happened to to be a slant six with trans laying on it's side:ncool:, and up on closer inspection, it was a super six engine.:D The intake on it was a factory aluminum 2 barrel manifold w/exhaust manifold! They only produced this setup on 77-up vehicle's, correct? The main question is...... the factory head used on this /6 engine, does it have hardened valve seat's? I thought I seen an article on this site a little while back, and someone said the newer /6 head's were only flame surfaced hardened? Is that true? I was gonna buy it, cause the price is right, just wanted to know. We have a freshly hot tanked, bored, cam bearing's etc. block ready to go and just wanted to put a no-lead head on it. Any and all input appreciated!

All the '72 and newer heads have the hardened seats. You are correct on the years of the 2bbl setups. The alumium one is nice if it doesn't have any corrosion or porosity problems.

All the '72 and newer heads have the hardened seats. You are correct on the years of the 2bbl setups. The alumium one is nice if it doesn't have any corrosion or porosity problems.

Would an intake manifold (aluminum) with casting porosity problems be helped by powder coating it? Mybe Leeann could answer this one...

Would an intake manifold (aluminum) with casting porosity problems be helped by powder coating it? Mybe Leeann could answer this one...

Yes,or even some kind of epoxy paint. The real trouble with these manifolds are potential cracks in the plenum floor/heat box area. But if you can find a nice one,they are WAY light! Even lighter than the offy/clifford/M1

I have some /6 question's......... we were at a salvage yard the other day walking down the main road in the yard, looked over and there happened to to be a slant six with trans laying on it's side:ncool:, and up on closer inspection, it was a super six engine.:D The intake on it was a factory aluminum 2 barrel manifold w/exhaust manifold! They only produced this setup on 77-up vehicle's, correct? The main question is...... the factory head used on this /6 engine, does it have hardened valve seat's? I thought I seen an article on this site a little while back, and someone said the newer /6 head's were only flame surfaced hardened? Is that true? I was gonna buy it, cause the price is right, just wanted to know. We have a freshly hot tanked, bored, cam bearing's etc. block ready to go and just wanted to put a no-lead head on it. Any and all input appreciated!

Read this: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/combustion-chamber/sl6-combustion-chamber.htm That head is whats referred to as a "peanut plug" head and has a very limited spark plug selection,weighs more than an earlier head,and makes changing lifters with the head on damn near impossible.

Yes,or even some kind of epoxy paint. The real trouble with these manifolds are potential cracks in the plenum floor/heat box area. But if you can find a nice one,they are WAY light! Even lighter than the offy/clifford/M1

Thanks for the good info!!!:blob:

Bill, I've had good luck with a high temp metal filler made by Permatex on both steel and aluminum. Originally formulated for exhaust leaks, good to 2000 degrees, sandable, grindable and easy to work with, it's perfect for repairs underneath my coating work.

It was used extensively and exclusively on 65Dartman's highly "charactered" Lynx intake manifold I did a few months back. There's at least one before picture and several afters on my website Gallery -- you can't miss it in Super Chrome and Flag Red -- so you can get an idea of the extent of the repairs and how well the stuff works.

I don't hesitate to use it if it's necessary and the repairs are approved by my customer. Here's a link to the product; I buy mine from CaswellPlating.com but you might be able to find it locally.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG"]http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG[/ame]

Bill, I've had good luck with a high temp metal filler made by Permatex on both steel and aluminum. Originally formulated for exhaust leaks, good to 2000 degrees, sandable, grindable and easy to work with, it's perfect for repairs underneath my coating work.

It was used extensively and exclusively on 65Dartman's highly "charactered" Lynx intake manifold I did a few months back. There's at least one before picture and several afters on my website Gallery -- you can't miss it in Super Chrome and Flag Red -- so you can get an idea of the extent of the repairs and how well the stuff works.

I don't hesitate to use it if it's necessary and the repairs are approved by my customer. Here's a link to the product; I buy mine from CaswellPlating.com but you might be able to find it locally.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALBZMG/?tag=joeychgo-20

Thanks, Leanna, for that good information!

What I was concerned about was the potential damage to a turbo "cold side (intake) impeller housing that operates in fairly close proximity to the other half of the turbo that houses the exhaust impeller and runs at VERY HIGH temperatures and radiates heat wholesale. I was afraid some of that heat coming off the exhaust side of the turbo would "melt" the powder coating, and I'm still not sure that it wouldn't.

Have you ever powder coated the (external) intake side of a turbocharger, or is that even feasible? Heat issues would seem to make that a very iffy proposition....

What do you think???

I saw your posts about the turbo heat on 6pakattack's build thread too and am in the midst of more research (I've never coated one so I'm trying to find facts instead of assumptions). As soon as I can find solid info, I'll share it.

Thanks for the tip on the turbo coatings DCInc, I appreciate that. Out here in farm country I don't get to see many of them. LOL

Putting it VERY mildly, I've had pretty sad results when trying both the LabMetal and ThermoBond3 on several occasions. (In fact, I just threw a brand new quart of the latter away with great delight on Friday while cleaning out my storage freezer ... I'd have turned you onto it if I'd known you liked it. :-D) I'll stick with my Permatex repair compound.

I use them both depending on the repair. One industrial customer applies the lab metal to every part they send me and they run about 150 a week. No fails in the field after 7 years and these parts are subjected to extreme temps both hot and cold. I guess it is wahtever you get comfortable with.

I always found it difficult to work with. The majority of what I use the metal filler on is for repairs to very old, damaged and/or pitted parts. A main specialty of mine is custom work which is always under very close scrutiny. It doesn't always turn out perfect, but it's always better than what I started with. :-D

Same reason my customer uses it, cast parts that need to look smooth after coating. They have just become accustom to applying it and feel very comfortable with the product.

-
Back