Slant 6 Longblock Question

-

Rich Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if a 68 Slant 6 can go into a 63 Signet and which oil pan I should get, 63 or 68? I am changing my first /6 and I ordered a long block from Maabco. They advertised pre 67 and post 67 blocks. I ordered a pre 67. I opened the wrap on the block they sent, typed the engine stamp # on Google, and the block came up 68. I called Maabco, and they said the block is fine and that the only difference is the crankshaft. I was wondering if there are any issues with this and if anyone canadvise where to pick up a valve cover, timing cover and oil pan. I am trying to get everything set before I pull the old engine out.

Use your 63 oil pan AND oil pickup. If you are using your 63 transmission and it's a 904, you will need the bushing adapter for the crank (assuming the crank is a large pocket crank). The snout on the torque converter is too small for the crank pocket. If the 68 block has the balancer installed, you will need the appropriate timing chain cover. Does the new motor have the timing chain cover? Otherwise, use the one from the 63.

Use your 63 oil pan AND oil pickup. If you are using your 63 transmission and it's a 904, you will need the bushing adapter for the crank (assuming the crank is a large pocket crank). The snout on the torque converter is too small for the crank pocket. If the 68 block has the balancer installed, you will need the appropriate timing chain cover. Does the new motor have the timing chain cover? Otherwise, use the one from the 63.
Thanks Dartman. I have a 4 sped tranny. I am looking to buy a new pan, timing cover and valve cover. Any idea where I can find them? Would this be easier with a pre 68 block? I don't know why they did not send me what was advertised.

Thanks Dartman. The tranny is a 4 spd. I am looking for a new pan, timing &valve covers. Do you think I am going to run into problems with this block? They advertised pre67 but sent me a 68.

You will need to check the crank pocket for a pilot bushing and install one if needed (I suspect you will need to do this). Why not reuse your old oil pan,oil pickup and valve cover? Does the new motor have a timing chain cover on it with a timing tab? How about a balancer?

The pre 68 block will have the correct crank for an early small snout auto only, youll need to check for machining for a pilot bushing. Use your old pan. Most everything else will be a bolt on but check your head for a casting date as some (63-74) dont use spark plug washers, as the drool tube IS the washer.

They are correct, the blocks interchange. Indeed, later blocks (5 core plugs, instead of 3 staggered ones) are slightly stronger. If they installed a 1967- crankshaft, it will fit your transmission, but (as mentioned) insure it is correct for a manual transmission. Even if you got a 1968+ crank, a $25 adapter ring can make it work with your tranny. 1963 probably had a removable timing tab on the driver's side (my 1964), whereas later timing covers had a spot-welded tab on the passenger side. Of course, the mark on the damper changed to match.

-
Back