Slant 6 Main bearings

-

MWfan

Reaction score
FINALLY got my block and crank back from one of the last existing automotive machine shops in my area. The crank was turned .010 on rods and mains.
I cannot find any .010 under main bearings for a forged crank.
Does anybody know where I might find a set?

Last edited:
FINALLY got my block and crank back from one of the last existing automotive machine shops in my area. The crank was turned .010 on rods and mains.
You're not looking hard enough.

Best thing to do is start an WTB ad......please do so.

King /Kingrace bearings do slant 6 bearings
if you can't get em in US you most definately can in South Africa Australia and South America

King are an israeli company with a US Arm. they make aussie Hemi 6 and and slant 6 bearings in 2 or 3 grades. i.e if they support the tiny market for hemi 6 they will most definitly support the "world engine" slant 6

King Race Connecting Rod Bearing Set : suit Slant 6 (.010" )
King Race Main Bearing Set (010) : suit Slant 6

as with all parts if they didn't make em, you find a company that thinks they can sell say 50 or 100 sets and get them to ask king to do a run of the specific bearings. While you organise a group-buy to act as an incentive for the company to help you in your quest.

i.e the car club method used for stocking up the club spares supplies, if it works for guys who like 1920s cars, it can work for us.

But you won't need to, for slant 6 bearings, they are on the shelf in many countries

Dave

Last edited:
Be carefull what you order. Many listings are incorrect. They list the same bearing for too wide a year range. The main and rod bearing changed between 1976 and 1978 (forged crank and cast crank). Many companies also list the correct bearing, but they are not always available in the short term. They have extended lead times.

Ah a didn't know that
austlians stopped slant 6 sproduction in early 70s if that helps so they will probably have had cranks that were early not late

Dave

PS: King does list the forged crank main/rod bearings (I have some on the shelf) but right now they have extended lead time to get.

Thanks all. I had called Advance, Auto Zone, Orielly and NAPA. I had tried all options at RockAuto. They had one variety showing available and when I tried to put them in the cart it popped up a message saying out of stock.

I finally got a hold of an Orielly manager and he got them special ordered for me. Great price too. The rod bearings I got from Rockauto were over $80. Its not as easy as calling your favorite parts guy anymore.

Yup. I see lotsa listings that start or end with '76, which was the year that they made the change to a cast crank, but being the cutoff year, it's a tough guess whether you would get the right ones.

That having been said a couple of years ago when I needed a set ebay had a BUNCH of them

First one can't be right... Says they're for a  V-6..
Wasn't the Buick dauntless v6 a 225 cid?

I was expecting you to say something different.
(I was trying to be funny)

Oh and the link "More Main Bearings", forget those, cause I got um. lol

Using King main bearings here. Never mind some places listing cast crank parts; I ran into a case where Rockauto sent me bearings for a 273! Check King's website for the right part number.

You're not looking hard enough.
Realize I never got back here to give the end of the bearing saga. I had posted on Slantsix.org.
Got the bearings from O'reily and of course, they were the wrong ones. Called and emailed a few places, Summit, Jegs, and a few mom and pop performance websites. Some said they were available and all didn't actually have the part. They would have back ordered them and most said "around September."
Finally called King Bearings and they told me thay were planning to do a run of them in January.
Long story short, I actually got a NOS set from a great guy on Slantsix.org who I spent well over an hour talking to on the phone. A wealth of slant six information and generally a great guy. Thanks Charlie!

-
Back