slant 6 miss problem

-

gpreston57

Reaction score
74- 225 slant 6 was running rough, got a mech to install a carb kit (1 bbl.) still idles rough, hesitates when you accelerate in park. He told me i need a new distributor because he checked the dwell and it fluctuated, this engine has electronic ign. could that make the engine miss, vibrate and hesitate? he says it fluctuated as much as 20 degrees, is this b s or what before i go buy a distributor?

There's nothing such as dwell in an electronic distributor; dwell is a measurement that only applies to breaker points. Obviously check the distributor for damage or slop (such as a broken advance spring that would cause the timing to flop around at idle); if yours is damaged go ahead and replace the distributor, but use a new one from Old Car Parts Northwest, not a cruddy parts store "remanufactured" unit. Get the three books described in this thread as quickly as you can. Follow the tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Your engine is likely overdue for a valve adjustment. And Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

There's nothing such as dwell in an electronic distributor; dwell is a measurement that only applies to breaker points. Obviously check the distributor for damage or slop (such as a broken advance spring that would cause the timing to flop around at idle); if yours is damaged go ahead and replace the distributor, but use a new one from Old Car Parts Northwest, not a cruddy parts store "remanufactured" unit. Get the three books described in this thread as quickly as you can. Follow the tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Your engine is likely overdue for a valve adjustment. And Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.
I figured that was b s cause its electronic, thanks buddy!!!

/6 miss--ing 2 cyliders. there is your problem. lol sorry i found it funny myself. sorry for it being at your cost.:toothy10:

The fact that your "mechanic" didn't know that dwell only applies to a points type distributor make me question the quality of his carb overhaul. I'd find a Mopar knowledgeable mechanic and start from scratch on a tuneup. Compression test first, then go from there if the engine is sound.

the fact that your "mechanic" didn't know that dwell only applies to a points type distributor make me question the quality of his carb overhaul. I'd find a mopar knowledgeable mechanic and start from scratch on a tuneup. Compression test first, then go from there if the engine is sound.
true that!!!!

-
Back