Slant 6 pcv valve rattling issue

-

Ryansrt

Reaction score
My 225 slant 6 is running great and recently (winter in ohio right now) when I start my Dart the Pcv valve rattles pretty damn loud and sounds like a exhaust tick almost, It's new from Autozone a couple months ago but is there a better brand that does not make a noise?

IMG_5468.JPG

Pull the valve and see how much blow-by puffing you have from the hole. That is a common way to judge ring wear in my M-B diesels (~400 psig compression when new). Gas engines should have much less unless your rings are bad, in which case you will get blue smoke and oil-fouled plugs.

Pull the valve and see how much blow-by puffing you have from the hole. That is a common way to judge ring wear in my M-B diesels (~400 psig compression when new). Gas engines should have much less unless your rings are bad, in which case you will get blue smoke and oil-fouled plugs.
I did a compression test and it looked good. Bought a oem one just gotta hear how she sounds in the morning

Let us know, I have one that rattles once in awhile. Where did you get the OEM valve?

My Slanty did this even after the motor was rebuilt/mildly-modified by Doug Dutra.

I ended up using a small socket stuffed in the hose after the PCV valve to restrict the air flow. It worked like a charm.

Blue text = clickable link. See post #2 in this thread.

(Cramming foreign objects in the PCV valve is not an appropriate "fix".)

Crawl back in your hole. Now, that would be an appropriate fix!

I found it a oem one for those motors at Summit Racing part number is SMP-V180 . It was only $3.97 and built much better with a metal bottom

Dan, I checked out the link and it prodded me for application info. Said it won't fit a 71 Dart (my 73 has a 71 engine) Is this simply a new application part that happens to work in the old slants? I've got an ancient plastic elbow and metal base Fram pcv in mine and I've tried two of those cheap plastic ones like the other person had. Both rattle, whereas the ol metal Fram does not. Still want to replace it as a matter of maintainance. Thanks

For what it's worth, I just replaced my plastic PCV valve with the Standard V-180 because mine was rattling. I haven't driven the Dart enough lately to offer any prognosis on the noise, but I have high hopes! Glad it's not just my car that does it.

I'll throw out a few semi-formed thoughts:
1. There are many different PN's for PCV valves, but wonder how much they really differ. If it fits in the grommet hole and has a correct size hose nipple, it "should work". Consider that even for the same engine, the blow-by and thus PCV flow varies considerably over its life.
2. Even among classic Mopar's, the PCV valves differed. My 65 SB & BB used one w/ metal thread & nut which screwed into a metal cap which fit over a "stove-pipe" on the valve cover, and yes they were smart enough to put the nut on the outside. I recall my 64 slant is different PN which pops in a rubber grommet, as shown above, but the valve cover has just 1 grommet (update, just looked and my 64 slant has the same metal PCV valve in "stove-pipe"). The breather is in the oil fill cap. But, some of this might be specific to a CA "Clean Air Package".
3. Whenever searching for a vacuum leak, suspect the PCV valve. Similar to a brake booster, it is a large hose plumbed straight to intake manifold vacuum. I think the way it is supposed to work is that the valve is forced closed when there is a high dP across the valve. The intent is that it is closed when idling (high vacuum), so it doesn't mess up the O/F ratio. There is a small designed-in leak when closed. At high throttle (dP drops), a spring opens it to vent crankcase fumes into the intake. At these higher air flows, the fumes don't mess up the O/F. That is why old mechanics would test one by popping it off with the engine idling, then put their thumb over the end to feel it click open as inlet vacuum builds (dP drops).
4. Given above, if you have a lot of blow-by at idle, seems the PCV valve would just close off even tighter (greater dP). Therefore, my suggestion that blowby might make it rattle at idle sounds unlikely. On the downside, the crankcase might pressurize even more, which exacerbates oil leaks. Engines before PCV simply vented the crankcase to atmosphere, so no pressure built up. Nicer to capture and burn them. The fumes don't gunk up the intake because the gas keeps it clean. But PCV has always helped gunk up diesel intakes, and similar has been seen in the new "direct injection" gas engines, some of which require the intake to be removed and degunked every 50,000 miles.

Last edited:
There are many different PN's for PCV valves, but wonder how much they really differ.

Significantly. Different maximum flow rates, different minimum flow rates, different pintle profiles and spring tensions to provide different flow rates at different vacuum levels, yes/no spring-loaded closed...

If it fits in the grommet hole and has a correct size hose nipple, it "should work"

Don't you believe it! Consider the enormous number of different PCV valves that all look alike (same size, same shape, same fittings) but there they all are in any maker's parts catalog, each with its own part number and application. Companies don't generally do that for fun and yuks, in fact they do the opposite to the maximum possible degree (as few parts as possible for as many applications as possible), and yet...look at all those PCV valves. If that's not enough to convince you, read this. The wrong valve in that case looked exactly the same as the right valve. The wrong valve was spring-loaded closed and had different calibration.

Consider that even for the same engine, the blow-by and thus PCV flow varies considerably over its life

But the engine's mechanical condition is not what determines PCV flow. The PCV valve is the limiting factor there. And even if we were to remove the valve and put in a plain elbow instead, then the limiting point would be the ~1/4" diameter passage in the carburetor's throttle body and/or the intake manifold's carburetor mounting pad.

2. Even among classic Mopar's, the PCV valves differed. My 65 SB & BB used one w/ metal thread & nut which screwed into a metal cap which fit over a "stove-pipe" on the valve cover, and yes they were smart enough to put the nut on the outside.

You are describing the '64-'69 valve (Chrysler bought them from Stanadyne and they looked like this) with its curved metal outpipe pressed into its metal body. There were two of them: one for the 170 engine, and one for 225 through 426. Identifiable by black vs. silver end washer. These valves also serviced '61-'63 applications originally equipped with a valve made by AC held together by a removable threaded-on end cap or a snap ring and plate at the bottom (inlet), that is this one, and a separate brass (this) or aluminum (this) elbow threaded onto the top (outlet). These valves could be easily disassembled for cleaning, and sometimes tended to make noise as the flat bottom of the valve shuttle rattled on the inside surface of the end cap or end plate. AC carried on selling these as aftermarket service parts well after Chrysler went to the Stanadyne design for '64; here's such a valve packaged by AC with a nonstandard grommet and instructions for how to install the valve with the thread/cup/elbow/spring/chimney '65-down arrangement or the '66-up grommet arrangement described below.

The '64 pintle-style valve reduced noise and had a self-cleaning action by the jiggling motion of the pintle. All these valves were attached to a stamped steel cup about an inch and a half in diameter -- by means of the threaded-on elbow in '61-'63 and with a speed nut in '64-'69 -- with a 2-legged flat steel spring trapped between the valve and the underside of the top of the cup. The cup was pushed onto a chimney on the engine valve cover.

I recall my 64 slant is different PN which pops in a rubber grommet

That started in '66. And the valve was the same as in '65, but now instead of being attached to the engine by the speed nut/cup/spring/chimney arrangement, the bottom of the valve simply snapped into a rubber grommet installed in the (revised) valve cover. This setup lasted clear on up through the end of the engines we care about on here. In '70 the all-metal valve was replaced by a valve that had a metal valve body and a yellowish-white plastic elbow (this one), which lasted through '71. For '72 the valve with the all-plastic body (this one) was introduced, still available today from Chrysler and numerous other suppliers in a variety of plastic colours that may or may not indicate different calibrations. All these valves (the '64-'69, '70-'71, and '72+) snap into the same grommet. The plastic valve can be literally "pressed into service" on a pre-'66 valve cover this way.

But all these different-year, different-style valves I just described have very similar flow and calibration characteristics -- note Chrysler's use of one single valve for an engine displacement ratio of almost 2:1 (225 through 426) and only using a different valve on the smallest (170) engine because the bigger valve's calibration just couldn't stretch quite that wide without becoming unsuitable at the other, big-engine end. This is a further evidence point against the idea that any ol' PCV valve will work if it can be physically installed.

Whenever searching for a vacuum leak, suspect the PCV valve

PCV valves rarely cause vacuum leaks. In order for them to do so, they must either be physically damaged (cracked/holed) or the pintle must be jammed in the open position but the orifice must not be clogged -- those are very rare circumstances. Fortunately the PCV valve and its hose are topside, easy to check and eliminate as the cause of a vacuum leak.

I think the way it is supposed to work is that the valve is forced closed when there is a high dP across the valve. The intent is that it is closed when idling (high vacuum), so it doesn't mess up the O/F ratio. There is a small designed-in leak when closed.

That's right, though I'd quibble a little with your "designed-in leak" terminology. Under high vacuum (idle) the valve closes down to its minimum flow.

if you have a lot of blow-by at idle, seems the PCV valve would just close off even tighter (greater dP)

The PCV valve cannot close "even tighter" than its minimum airflow position, which is determined by vacuum.

suggestion that blowby might make it rattle at idle sounds unlikely

Correct, that's not what's doing it.

[quote}the crankcase might pressurize even more[/quote]

If the breather is faulty or absent, or the engine is so completely whipped that the breather cannot pass the volume of blowby, yes, you can get crankcase pressure which can exacerbate oil leaks. If the breather is faulty or absent and the engine and PCV system are in good condition, you can pull a vacuum in the crankcase that can suck gaskets and seals in...and exacerbate oil leaks.

Engines before PCV simply vented the crankcase to atmosphere

Yes, but that's not the whole story. They used what's called a "road draft tube", that is a metal pipe extending down from the valve cover (where the PCV valve would be in later production), with its lower end far enough below the car to be in its slipstream. Above about 30 mph, the motion of air across the bottom of the road draft tube induced suction in the tube, which evacuated the crankcase. Nowhere near as efficiently or reliably as PCV (hence "positive" crankcase ventilation), though, and there were problems: draft tubes could get clogged with ice, snow, or mud. They could rust out so the bottom was no longer far enough under the car. City delivery trucks and postal delivery vehicles could go for very long periods of time without going fast enough to induce a road draft. On the other hand, let the engine get some wear on it and the road draft tube made a dandy self-rustproofer for the underside of the car.

Sure there are many different PN's w/ design differences, but I doubt all these PN's will be available forever (or even now), so we need options. I recall seeing "universal" PCV valves in the HELP bubble packs at auto parts. SSD agrees that there is a designed-in "minimum flow" (i.e. controlled vacuum leak) at idle, and that is most likely the critical difference between them. Presumably, one must tweak the idle mixture of the carburetor to match the extra air flow. Ideally, the carburetor will be tuned to account for the PCV flow at every manifold vacuum. With today's after-market O2 sensors (wideband are best), you can monitor such things. Those who install fuel injection systems w/ O2 feedback have automatic compensation for any PCV flows.

Idle the engine up a tad, or down a tad, or try changing the idle-timing.
The noise is saying that the vacuum applied is about equal to the spring pressure So it's bouncing around. The above methods will alter the vacuum applied, maybe enough to shut her up.The slanty only has three cylinders pulling per revolution, so perhaps it's a bit more sensitive to a mis-calibrated valve.
I have heard an read so much about the vast errors in calibration that I too sorta subscribe to the "if it fits, make it work strategy." I mean it seems only one in 8 OEM valves may be correctly calibrated, and jobber stuff is just rehashed junk, perhaps copied after wrongly calibrated in the first place parts, that you are lucky if one in a hundred is right. So........What's a guy to do? There is no way I'm gonna buy a hundred valves to maybe get one that works the way the engineers intended it too. Or what if I buy 8 oems and the correct one is not in there? Do I buy 8 more? Is there even a way to know what the original calibration was? And if I knew, would I then build a rig to test all these valves?
I have been using used valves for decades. I'm happy when they rattle. That tells me it's alive and well, and eager to be doing it's job. They're not like points, or alternator brushes, or spark plugs. Sure, they may be listed as part of a tune-up, but Shoot, I have valves nearly as old as Methuselah that seem to be working just fine.
Now, if the noise bothers you, that's a nuther story.Cigarette smoke bothers me. I don't go anywhere where it is. I keep far away from it.There is no argument against what someone likes or doesn't.Or what bothers them.Women spend vast sums of money on personal body enhancements, as if..... OOPs wrong forum,lol

The replacement one from Summit Racing I installed above still works great and is quiet with much better quality. The Fram pcv valves just feel very cheap and at any adjustment from the carb made a ticking noise still. Regardless of a oem one I feel like it's a great buy and works.

Sure there are many different PN's w/ design differences, but I doubt all these PN's will be available forever (or even now) so we need options.

C'mon, there's no need to gin up a problem that doesn't exist. We don't "need options" in PCV valves; fully compatible, direct-fit, correctly-calibrated PCV valves are readily available for any engine that might find itself in a Mopar A-body, and will be for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of parts-unavailability situations for old cars, but this is not one of them and won't be for many years.

-
Back