slant 6 to 340.....new harness?

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
I am converting my slant 6 barracuda f/b, do I require a new engine harness for this swap or can I use the a slant six engine harness?

If I remember correctly, the only difference would be the lengths of the oil pressure, water temp, and probably distributor wiring. The lighting run down the left fender need not change, nor the voltage regulator, horn relay, and ballast resistor leads. Again, that's IF my memory is correct.

BC

The water, oil, and ignition lead have been spiced into for a after market gauges, I removed them so I was wondering if the water temp and oil pressure wires will pick up accurately if I butt splice them back together?

if the water temp and oil pressure wires will pick up accurately if I butt splice them back together?
They will work for a while, but a butt splice is ugly and not reliable. Corrosion may make it fail. Better to twist the wires and solder, then cover with 2 layers of heat shrink. Of course, put the heat shrink on the wires first and away from the heat.

The wires on my 66 Barracuda were getting OLD! As I was mocking up my 360, I just started to layout all new wires for the engine. Used one size larger wire for each. Got the new ends for the firewall block at NAPA. Just something to think about.

I used the existing wires on my '73 Duster when I switched from the /6 to the current 318. I had to unwrap part of the harness to get the distributor wires to reach back to the new distributor location, but I didn't cut and splice anything.

-
Back