Slant 6 Turbo 68Dart Project

-
glad you found the restriction. if it ran rich just from straightening it out that was probably your problem. might wanna try adjusting the idle just for kicks.

for the coolant. while taking the manifold of and on did you happen to loosen any studs in the head? if they are loose they have a habit of leaking. mine do. lol.

More fun... right Jr and Bill? lol...

You are beginning to understand why it has taken Freddie and me over 4 years to get this bucket of bolts "operational."

Some of the stuff that happens defies all logical thought...

Our engine (back when it WAS "our engine" and not "MY engine," before the buyout,) started puffing black smoke and running awful, so I ran a static compression test... FIFTY POUNDS on #'s 1 and 2... I figured, in all my considerable diagnostic expertise, a head gasket, blown between #1 and #2, right? LOL!

Guess again, Einstein...

I yanked the head off, convinced, in my flawless analytical diagnosis of the situation, that it just could not BE ANYTHING ELSE!

Once the head was off, it was obvious that there was NO blown gasket, nor cylinder-pressure leakage of ANY KIND!!!!

So we started checking everything else... and, I mean everything.

NEVER FOUND a THING WRONG!!!!

Decided to O-Ring the top of the deck, while it was apart. Did that.

Ultimately, after enlisting the aid of some pretty knowledgeable friends who seemed to know what they were talking about, that a horribly over-rich mixture had washed all the oil off the cylinder walls, and the rings simply could not seal.

We poured some 30-wt into the cylinders and started it and ran it for about 15 minutes, and then ran a compression test.

Compression was back to 160 pounds on all cylinders. Go figure...

For all our trouble, though, I now have an O-Ringed block!!!:cheers:

Don't think you're the only one with weird, unexplained problems.... it happens to all of us!

I want to. I need to find a mount that will hang off a suction cup on the back quarter to see the exhaust. I saw it during the night when I punched it on the freeway, hit 6psi and the mbc limit hit, and I adjusted it more since then, but anyway - the 6psi opened the wastegate, and it "held" 6psi, but you could see a plume of some kind of smoke once I punched the gas. It may just be that the jets are too big, and dumping too much unburnt fuel. I may experiment with a BRPV and drop the jet size soon.

I want to. I need to find a mount that will hang off a suction cup on the back quarter to see the exhaust. I saw it during the night when I punched it on the freeway, hit 6psi and the mbc limit hit, and I adjusted it more since then, but anyway - the 6psi opened the wastegate, and it "held" 6psi, but you could see a plume of some kind of smoke once I punched the gas. It may just be that the jets are too big, and dumping too much unburnt fuel. I may experiment with a BRPV and drop the jet size soon.

What jet size are you currently running?

mine leaves a nice black cloud when i get into it. the un burnt fuel is actually kinda good. its igniting in the j-pipe and helping you spool. look at the backside of any non stock turbo car and a few stock ones like the evo. its covered in soot. lean is mean, fat is safe.

as far as the brpv. the setup i have now seem to work pretty well. got a 2.5 spring in there and it opens when its supposed to. i drilled out the pvcr's quite a bit. not sure what #im up to. would have to take it apart and check.

1stnight_zps8d194909.jpg

It's getting dark here earlier and earlier - makes working on the car more difficult with the no garage thing.

Sorting out the MBC. I have not been through enough open stretches of road to see how high it is actually limited to. Once I hit 6psi it seems I have to slow down for some reason (stop sign, light, etc.) I have not gone back out on the freeway yet.

I changed the boost controller from being an adjustable leak setup (which made everything spool REALLY slow) to an in-line setup, where the pressure must first overcome the smaller checkball and spring in order to hit the wastegate. It seems to be working much better, and spools fairly rapidly. It is still not as fast as the spool from direct turbine charge to wastegate though.

AWESOME UPDATE

So today I took a quick 5 mile freeway drive out to Vallejo to drop my dad off after work. I ran about 60mph on the freeway - maybe 65, and the car liked that, barely having the throttle open at all really- and it did not stall out as it did previously - it seemed extremely stable. Then some guy in a newer Charger was riding my tail (no respek) I was in the fast lane, but the traffic in the right lane was at a dead stop as they were all exiting, and there was plenty of room to gallop in front of me, so I slowly accelerated about a little more than half throttle and oh my gosh...

Whir...TISHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and with a little more than air being heard coming from my car I was gone, and that car would've climbed past 100 if i let it. The Charger disappeared in my rearview, and I was pleased, so I slowly let it come back down, and the blow off valve engaged, had a little bit of a compressor slow down, but nominal, and I was back in the slow lane under vacuum and drove the rest of the way. My dad thought it was impressive, so I guess that's a good thing.

On the way back I tried to just maintain freeway speed, rolling the boost at only 3psi if I had to and that was not for very far before things slowed down again. I am not really one for speeding, so I don't do it unless there's some reason to keep up with traffic- Not going to win a trophy or any prize money going too fast out here.

This car would be a lot of fun to take to a track as is, but I dialed in what I believe could be 7psi, and I'll tune from there starting tomorrow. This boost addiction stuff is scary. The power coming from my slant six - is scary.

In other news, a shop just got a new dyno in town. I may pay them a visit and see if it's compatible with my car. I don't really know how they work, but I know my car does not have a computer. And then we'll see how much power my stock slant puts down with 8psi, and hopefully make a baseline to help Bill's thread where we are all trying to figure out the cheapest way to obtain 300hp. I sure wish I hit at least 200. We'll see. :D:glasses7:

AWESOME UPDATE

This car would be a lot of fun to take to a track as is, but I dialed in what I believe could be 7psi, and I'll tune from there starting tomorrow. This boost addiction stuff is scary. The power coming from my slant six - is scary.

In other news, a shop just got a new dyno in town. I may pay them a visit and see if it's compatible with my car. I don't really know how they work, but I know my car does not have a computer. And then we'll see how much power my stock slant puts down with 8psi, and hopefully make a baseline to help Bill's thread where we are all trying to figure out the cheapest way to obtain 300hp. I sure wish I hit at least 200. We'll see. :D:glasses7:

glad to hear you got it straightened out. if you put your shifter in 2nd from a stop and floor it and hold 2nd you should be able to see where your boost holds. without breaking any speed limits. shift when the nose drops. you will feel it. it will just stop pulling.

if your afr's are good or pretty close jump up to 10 for tuning and long term driving. they really like double digit boost readings and 10 seemed to be the tipping point.

anything can run on a dyno. the computer is irrelevant. the sensors only really look at rpm. the rest gets its info from the wheels. you could put a lawn tractor on a dyno if you really wanted to.

Beautiful info Rusty, I was able to do the 2nd gear drop and it spooled up quick and showed I did manage to get just shy of 7psi. The adjustment of this MBC is not exactly great. My AFR's are ok. Now that the boost is higher the cruise AFR is a little lean, towards 15, where it used to be 13 - not sure what is going on with that. It should be richer if the FPR is working. I need to find a different fuel pressure gauge I think than this 1" spectre piece of junk.

And CJ, there aren't any tracks around here. lol Plus your 360 isn't stock either if I remember correctly.

if your cruise went that far lean i would be inclined to take the bowl off and clean it and the metering block out. sounds like you picked something up.

Going to do that today once the frost leaves the car. Not a bad plan. I like this Holley, you just drain it, and pop the float bowl and block off, take it inside and fix. Super easy to deal with.

Serj22: [I said:
And CJ, there aren't any tracks around here. lol Plus your 360 isn't stock either if I remember correctly.
[/I]
Sonoma isn't that far away, is it??? Like about 30 miles for each of you...

Just crank up the boost to 12 and see what happens... LOL!:cheers:

As a rule of thumb, you have 100% increase in power over n/a @ 14psi.
Good feeling with the great torq the extra air under pressure deliver:)

I may go to 10. We'll see. I'm trying very hard not to give in to all this peer pressure. :D I have to drive the car everyday, and changing headgaskets and other things are downtime that I don't need right now. If this was my secondary car, I'd go 20 and say maybe it blows up... maybe it doesn't. But right now, it's gotta stay road-worthy.

I dropped her off at Big-O earlier. They insist I give them another chance. It isn't money out of my pocket, but I was planning on re-wiring everything behind the dash today to my new fuse block, and get rid of the old glass fuse holder. This will also allow me to have a cleaner way to fuse my 3 accessory circuits instead of having in-line fuses scattered throughout the car, since I currently have one for the 3 gauges (tach, AFR, Boost) One for the radio, and one for the fuel pump.

Hopefully Big-o fixes their mistake this time because I felt the need to drop it off after that huge pulling to the right issue came back. Someone jumped into the street and J walked while I was going about 15 mph, so I hit the brakes, and the front right wheel locked up and drug the whole car sideways a bit and you could smell the burning rubber. Hell no, so they need to fix their ****Up. This makes the 3rd time they've tried to fix the job they did.

ALso Bill, I didn't even think of Sonoma raceway... that isn't very far. I do not think the car would pass tech till I got rid of the last of the rubber fuel lines though. Also how does one get involved in a race? I have never done it before. Do you just show up and pay? Then wait your turn? Or?

I looked up what would seem to suit me and it's their Wednesday night drags. I'll have to see if I can make it this Wednesday as it may be the last one they do for the year.

I got the car back. The pull is better now. I still am not 100% satisfied though. Apparently the brake light bracket broke and that's why I was having issues with the pedal. They recommended I weld it back together or find a different assembly as they couldn't fix it, and in my opinion wasn't on them. Not their fault.

I went on the freeway now that the brakes actually stop the car safely. I managed to get to 7psi reliably before the car held it there and wouldn't "pull" anymore. I built a simple mount for my gopro that just has 2 90* bends in it so you can close the door on it and it stays solid between the door and rain gutter. It is pretty good. I put padding and electrical tape on it so it wouldn't scratch anything. It works ok i think. It stayed together on the freeway. Saw a 60s mustang 14 seconds in, but I see that all the time. There's about 600 of them just in this town.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-8iYdi6yo"]Roofcam Gopro - YouTube[/ame]

Awsome ride, as far as the street drags yes you pay, go through tech, then hopefully you do pass, They will give you a group number, go to the pit area wait for your group, when called just pull up in a lane wait your turn and when your up to the front they will tell when to pull the car into the water box or you can go around if you don't want to do a burn out stage and go on green, or just watch for the first round and get the idea how it works.

ALso Bill, I didn't even think of Sonoma raceway... that isn't very far. I do not think the car would pass tech till I got rid of the last of the rubber fuel lines though. Also how does one get involved in a race? I have never done it before. Do you just show up and pay? Then wait your turn? Or? I looked up what would seem to suit me and it's their Wednesday night drags. I'll have to see if I can make it this Wednesday as it may be the last one they do for the year.

Good luck See if that guy with the 360 can make it.... Fairfield is a little closer to the strip than where you are.

And, good luck!:burnout:

Cool thread and what a way kewl "different" Mopar you have there, you should be very proud :glasses7:

Good luck See if that guy with the 360 can make it.... Fairfield is a little closer to the strip than where you are.

And, good luck!:burnout:

Cj said he ran away to Central cali. He is afraid of what will happen if a slant six runs faster than his 360. I told him it was ok to be scared. lol. Not really. He lives somewhere far for school now i believe.

-
Back