slant ignition products

-

Reaction score
Where can I get quality ignition products for my slant.

I ordered and received an OEM dist. I thought the cap would also be OEM but inside the cap is a part # of 2642986

From what I can find doing a google search Manufacturer's Part Number: CH410 would be the OEM part and Im assuming I would find this # on the cap instead of the longer # above.

Am I correct in my thinking? This cap has aluminum electrodes, I thought the OEMs were copper or brass?

EDIT: Further searching on E-bay I see OEM slant caps listed with the part number of 2642986 so maybe I am confused, maybe the part # CH410 would not be found on the product?

Can someone explain? Thanks

What you are up against........

This stuff is for the most part obsolete

NAPA (Echlin) is somehow linked up with Standard Motor Products which USED to be two of the best quality ignition products in the states. I believe Accel is or was also affiliated with NAPA

BOTH Echlin and Standard have gone downhill AKA Chinseseo.

This seems to be a constantly changing (downhill) quality problem

the blue streak cap by Standard is still in production and is still part number CH410, and superseded CH410-X.

The napa brass contact cap is offset ground and the rotor will hit on one side and be a huge gap on the other. SL6 dan contacted Napa about it and they basically said tough ****.

We used to be able to get a long reach, brass tip rotor thru napa # MO-3000 but everyone i have ever bough has a short reach rotor in it. Now i just get the brass tip standard reach rotor from any parts store as they are 1/3 as the cost.

Points conversion kits include the petronix Ignitor I and II, i had great luck with the II and would run it again. Another option is the HEI conversion Trailbeast sells or roll your own. Of course there is MSD and the like as well.

I run the ebay 8.5mm wires. they are really well made, correct length, and work perfectly. ive had them on my race car and daily for over 3 years with no issues like bleeding or an increase of ohms.

My go to is:
CH410 cap
Brass tip rotor
Ebay wires
3ohm coil, either Petronix 60K volt E coil or blaster II
NGK 3459 plugs for the drool tube heads

Kid, with a 3 ohm coil did you by-pass the ballast resistor ?

Kid, with a 3 ohm coil did you by-pass the ballast resistor ?

yea with a relay because it wouldn't start while cranking, and that 60K e coil will bite you! Oh and bump the plug gap up to .045

Attachments

• 100_5811.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 102_6095.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 272
Thanks Kid, can you give me an e-bay # for plug wires ( no rush ) I will purchase these

Johnny Dart "FABO Member " will set up a Dist. for your application on your slant 6 including all data needed. I purchased one of his Dist. and other ignition components per his advice and my slant 6 came alive and runs better than it ever has.

Thanks, not that I do not appreciate his efforts/skills I would like to set up my own and play with it myself.

If you go Pertronix, best to get the Ignitor II or III, since they are more modern and eliminate the ballast resistor. Ignitor I is more like the Mopar electronic module (requires ballast).

I bought an ignition kit from rockauto (UEI, I recall), cap, rotor, plug wires for maybe $15. Looks OK, but haven't run. For the very best, you can make your own plug wires. I recall that Summit and others make a kit, w/ strippers and crimp pliers.

Johnny Dart "FABO Member " will set up a Dist. for your application on your slant 6 including all data needed. I purchased one of his Dist. and other ignition components per his advice and my slant 6 came alive and runs better than it ever has.

Thanks for the mention Jeff. Glad to hear your up an running. :burnout:

There is a guy on ss.org that sells distributor spring kits for the slant too.

I can tell you from experience that the effort/cost to reward ratio of re-curving the distributor and playing with timing is absolutely worth it. You can really wake up an otherwise stock slant by bumping up low-rpm timing significantly.

-
Back