Slant Six AC Bracket

-

Mako21

Reaction score
Found a slant six AC bracket out of a 1987 Diplomat slant six car.

Would the bracket and Sanden on it mount up on my 1976 Dart slant six car?

Other than bolts and bracket and compressor, should I grab anything else?

My car has factory power steering and is a factory AC (RV2 ) car. Hoping it will bolt right up.

Any thoughts or insight?

Found a slant six AC bracket out of a 1987 Diplomat slant six car.

Would the bracket and Sanden on it mount up on my 1976 Dart slant six car?

Other than bolts and bracket and compressor, should I grab anything else?

My car has factory power steering and is a factory AC (RV2 ) car. Hoping it will bolt right up.

Any thoughts or insight?
I bought one of those setups for my 65 motor but it I end up using my triple Weber setup, no AC will fit unless i do a custom bracket using the mounting holes for the PS mounting area.

I’ve see wanted ads in the past for this stuff and it should install just fine using a 1, 2 or 4 barrel

You might need the AC pulley in case yours is MIA

The Sanden fittings are not compatible with the RV2 so custom hoses will be needed

Impossible. They didn't put a /6 in any car past 83.
If 87 it had to have been out of a truck/van.
Don't know if truck ac brackets would be any different than car ones.
I have the opposite, I found a brackets from an 80 volare I want to use on an 85 pickup. I haven't mounted them yet but when I was pulling them in the junkyard I thought something looked different about e power steering pp brackets as compared to what's in my truck (factory non ac) now. I haven't gotten around to putting these brackets on my engine yet. Still gotta come up with a new compressor and 1 new house. And rebuild the factory ac heater box I have, and put it in, 1st.

You are correct, 83 is the last year. Yet it’s an 87 with a slant in it outta something. I’ll just pick up the bracket and compressor and test it out. Thanks.

I grabbed the Sanden brackets on a 1978 Volare slant I stumbled across at PickNPull years ago. It also mounts a Saginaw power steering pump. I mocked it up on my 1964 engine. Photos on the thread about slant-six compressor options, along with a custom Sanden bracket I made to mount at the 3-bolt p.s. bracket location on the block.

The Volare bracket comes within 1" of the battery in my 1964 Valiant, but your car has a slightly wider engine bay. Perhaps in a few years we will have smaller and lighter Li batteries, which will fix that issue, and I would have to shelve my bracket if I change to power-steering, so hanging onto the Volare brackets. You can already buy a 12 VDC Li car battery, but ~$650. Much lighter but perhaps not any smaller yet. Those guys who bought Optima batteries wouldn't flinch at that price.

i grabbed the brackets and it’s air pump idler bracket for the sake of just having the whole assembly. I also grabbed the Sanden. Got it for dirt cheap so it was worth it. I pretty much just have it sitting in the parts bin in the garage. No need for AC now because the weather should be nice for several more months.

I do have a federal PS pump, but have the three groove crank pulley. The original RV2 on my car at the moment doesn’t utilize the PS pulley.

Regardless, I’ll probably mock up the fitment and see how it all fits together and if it is compatible. But not for a few months.

I have a question. Since we know the engine/car combo is not possible, we also don't know the year/model of the compressor/brackets. Are you sure it is a sanden compressor, and not a c-171 compressor? Can you post any pictures of the compressor and/or brackets?
PS: If the vehicle had any factory AC system, the crankshaft pulley will work with any factory system. There were a few slightly different pulley diameters (to keep the compressor rpm in the correct speed for the vehicle) But that will not make any difference.
PPS: I am in Florida, but a fair distance from you. If you need help send me a message, and I will give you my phone number. If you need hoses made, and can't find someone local, I can do that.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie, pleasure to speak again. We actually spoke last year, on my quest to get AC on my Dart. I had contacted you about wether you were still making the brackets, and you mentioned you had one left and were saving it for your Valiant.

Anyhow, I found this one up by you in the Ocala area. I’d been searching for a slant six AC Aspen/Volare for over a year and just had to take a chance on this, as I haven’t had any luck acquiring something that will work. I figured for $40 bucks, I’d take a chance and make it my 2023 project to fit everything together before summer arrives.

Here are some pictures. Not the best, but I was in a hurry, it’s a 4 hour drive up there and back from Miami. I purchased the compressor, 3 brackets that support it attaching to the water pump, power steering and upper intake manifold, and took the air/smog pump too, there was a bracket there as well. I’m not sure if it’ll fit the dart, but it’s worth a try and the best luck I’ve had in a year. At the end of the day it’s being transferred from a slant six motor to another slant six motor so it’s worth a try.

5318F868-A80F-48BE-BB68-6A25C1511644.jpeg

685F8B07-8490-4193-A1F4-67A1002E0E5D.jpeg

0CB160ED-5EFD-4BDC-B2E9-CABCA35BEFFE.png

6389748F-AF70-4024-8EBF-32C04AA5F046.jpeg

80868BD3-D3A4-4AD9-9403-748ECB075322.jpeg

55A21328-2105-4049-A221-22D892A3FE16.jpeg

Edit:
I have the whole assembly in my garage but I’m at work now. If you need the pics to see how it goes together and what’s there I can get better pics of the actual components.

C-171. Remans are available from Auto Zone. Bought one for my 88 D350 Ram.

Last edited:
The compressors are available both in the genuine C-171 and the Chinese copycats. It is the 6 cyl clutch assy. Usually if the compressor is bad the clutch is also

While not a Sanden, the photos beg the question if the C-171 brackets might be leveraged to mount a Sanden. It appears that 2 Sanden ears might fit the 2 lower pivots, at least w/ spacers and hopefully can add spacers to position it axially so the pulley groove aligns with the desired belt. It appears an upper tension arm is missing at top (large bolt). If so, that arm might secure an upper Sanden ear. You can also buy adjustable arms with pivots to secure a Sanden ear, even in blingy chrome. View photos of show cars for ideas.

I made my own brackets for my slant and 273 engines. For the slant, I used the "universal brackets" (~$50) which give the arced slots, cut and welded to a thick baseplate (structural steel from Home Depot). For the 273, I used 2 similar slotted brackets from other vehicles (perhaps Chevy) which came w/ Sanden compressor(s) I bought used an ebay. You only need arced slots if the Sanden will tension the belt. There are also adapters to mount a Sanden in place of a York.

The advantage of Sanden is they are ubiquitous and have ~20 rear heads to get a variety of plumbing fittings (~$20 each, easy to swap). I have bought them new for $50 on ebay in winter, often from liquidators. They come in 2 body lengths - normal H14, H15, H16 and the H13 "shortie" (~1" shorter). I used the later on my slant, though a SD7H14 would have fit. I had it leftover from use on my M-B where things were tighter.

I always thought that the C-171 had horizontal mounting tabs, where Sandens had vertical tabs. So it would take quite a bit of fabrication to use the wrong compressor on the other brackets. They did use the Sandens on the slant six in 78-79 the early K cars. I have picked up a couple of these NOS Sandens years ago for dirt cheap. The only bad thing is the rear head has the hose connections for a bolt on flange. You can get the hoses when you find one in a junkyard, save the metal ends and have them silver soldered on to your hoses. There are several different style rear heads. I bought a couple that have the R12 port on them and the regular O ring hose fittings.

I always thought that the C-171 had horizontal mounting tabs, where Sandens had vertical tabs. So it would take quite a bit of fabrication to use the wrong compressor on the other brackets. They did use the Sandens on the slant six in 78-79 the early K cars.
I never knew they put the /6 in K cars!!!!!

I never knew they put the /6 in K cars!!!!!
Haven't heard that, and I think you misread. No way a slant-six would fit in the K-car engine bay. The straight-six just barely fit in the A-bodies. In my 1964, there isn't room to fit even the shortest clutch fan (Jaguar or M-B). Note how they recessed the water pump on the side of the block to shorten the engine. In the smaller sedans, I think the slant-six ended with Aspen/Volare. I have only seen small-blocks in the 1980's larger sedans (Diplomat, ...). The slant continued in full-size vans and pickups until 1987, replaced by the V-6 Magnum. Years ago, I saw a long passenger van in Navy grey at the junkyard with a slant which might have been late 1980's. The Navy mostly bought Chryslers, as did CA government (due to lesser emissions). Wikipedia lists slant production as ending in 2000. I know they continued in vehicles in foreign countries (Brazil, Turkey?), in forklifts, and stationary industrial engines (pumps, ...).

Re read what I the guy above me had written. I quoted the guy and eliminated all of what he wrote before and after that statement, in my post.
I know they never put that engine in those cars. It surprised me to see someone post that, I was just making light of it.

Re read what I the guy above me had written. I quoted the guy and eliminated all of what he wrote before and after that statement, in my post.
I know they never put that engine in those cars. It surprised me to see someone post that, I was just making light of it.
True that it wasn't worded quite correctly, so could be parsed either way.

Sorry about the wording, But I was sure no one was so dense, that they thought of a slant in a K car. Although years ago, I recorded some car show on TV, that some guy had a 440 in a Dodge 600 2 door-He said he wanted to be different. It was tubbed and looked really nice.

You don't have to have the hard to find Sanden specific brackets. You can modify the RV2 bracket to work with the Sanden compressor. It's not hard to do.

I thought there was a sanden that was the same as the c171 mount wise and hose wise.
Though "most" besides the c171 that I see only have 1 port each for suction and discharge, not 2 ea/ like factory Mopar c171s did.
I had a 83 d250 (never was a /6 truck) that had "dealer air" and it had the round aluminum compressor, though I don't remember which model.
It had 1 port for each and had the old school hose barbs with simple hose clamps like heater hoses would take holding them together.

And rusty,
I've heard you say that before about being able to modify the rv2 brackets to work but when I was looking for /6 ac bracketry, I couldn't even find any of that setup either.

I thought there was a sanden that was the same as the c171 mount wise and hose wise.
Though "most" besides the c171 that I see only have 1 port each for suction and discharge, not 2 ea/ like factory Mopar c171s did.
I had a 83 d250 (never was a /6 truck) that had "dealer air" and it had the round aluminum compressor, though I don't remember which model.
It had 1 port for each and had the old school hose barbs with simple hose clamps like heater hoses would take holding them together.

And rusty,
I've heard you say that before about being able to modify the rv2 brackets to work but when I was looking for /6 ac bracketry, I couldn't even find any of that setup either.
Yup. They're all gettin hard to find now. Everybody hauled um to the scrap yard. I have ONE complete set I'm holdin on to.

-
Back