slant six head gasket

-

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is the deal with this new head gasket I purchased.

The one I removed ( laying on the top of the new one ) has metal reinforcing rings around the head studs and in between the cylinders, this new one only has the fire ring.

The one I removed was only purchased a few months ago during my last re-build and I cant imagine the machine shop spending any extra money on an especially good one assuming that is even avail.

Attachments

• Picture 580.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 226
I venture a guess.... a difference in manufacturing process....the old one has all the metal bits connected, including between cylinders, so that the metal layers can be handled as one unit. Not sure why to go around the bolt holes with metal though, unless it is to keep coolant from wicking across and into the bolt holes...but it should not do that anyway with the right paper.

Are there torquing instructon with the new gasket that are different from factory torque procedures? I just helped my son on a torque-to-yield head bolt assembled engine, and the gaskets were very different from what I am used to on older engine designs.

I would say that the older gasket has the more metal in it.

It is really only necessary around the bore (fire ring) and not around the coolant holes or passages (however makes the torquing more consistant).

I would say that they got rid of the extra metal in the gasket as a cost reduction for the manufacturer.

Anything to save a buck, I agree but I thought maybe I should look for a better gasket.

I venture a guess.... a difference in manufacturing process....the old one has all the metal bits connected, including between cylinders, so that the metal layers can be handled as one unit. Not sure why to go around the bolt holes with metal though, unless it is to keep coolant from wicking across and into the bolt holes...but it should not do that anyway with the right paper.

Are there torquing instructon with the new gasket that are different from factory torque procedures? I just helped my son on a torque-to-yield head bolt assembled engine, and the gaskets were very different from what I am used to on older engine designs.
Not sure if there are instructions, once its opened it says non-returnable. Not sure still yet if I am going to use this one.

-
Back