slant six hunt

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i will post also under wanted and for sale, but i figure this will get a lot of read here too. pulled old stuck slant out of my 65 dart, lookin for good runnin slant hopefully within 100 mi or so of s w missouri ( springfield joplin area where i live. ) wondering: the 9 in barkes seem awful inadequate, and i know of disc changeover, but will 10 in drums be worthwhile to change to??

Assuming you're talking about on the front, if you're making the switch, just go to front disks. That way you get the advantages of disks for the same amount of trouble. It would be silly to do something in between.

My wagon has the 73 large finned drums in front, the ones they used before going to bbp discs in 74. They still suck. Lol

hey i figured that would be the answer! by the way, Rockerdude, the rear wheels on that wagon of yours, look a lot like a pair i scored the otherday. reserve chrome jobs, ( o k after how many decades some of the chrome in middle is a little flakey), 14 x 7 sbp. stuck um on back of 65 dart. looks like they will work!

Really? Sweet. Mine are 15x8 Small bolt pattern though.

C'mon up to foristell I got lots of /6 to chose from

You can get another slant cheap or free. You just need to wait for someone near you. Scarebird makes a disk kit that works w/ your 9" drum spindle and is the least expensive kit I know of. If you install 73+ disk brakes, you will also need to change your rear-end and get new wheels all around.

i have found some neat and new sbp mag wheels and like those reverse style wheels i just found. gettin old and tired, really hate to go to all the trouble of puttin n 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. hate to have to rebuild complete front end to put in 73 up stuff ( yea i know, mine needs rebiuld anyway!) yea i need to find someone fairly close changin over to v8 i know, but there are some good guys scattered around Mo that don't think /6 are make of gold! easiest thing will be to sell one of my dusters to someone wanting to change over to v8 and i keep my motor.

I seen one the other day in Waco Missouri when I go up there tomorrow ill see what the want I live in Joplin and have transfer trucks going to Springfield every week ill keep u posted

FYI the slant you get to replace your current one needs to be 67 and older
Not really. If using a 68 or newer engine, just needs the oil pan and oil pickup from the original motor, the 68 up flexplate (if automatic), and an inexpensive adapter bushing to go in the end of the crank.

Not really. If using a 68 or newer engine, just needs the oil pan and oil pickup from the original motor, the 68 up flexplate (if automatic), and an inexpensive adapter bushing to go in the end of the crank.

i doubt he is going to want to do that but yes your right... and why change the flex plate? never heard that one

i doubt he is going to want to do that but yes your right... and why change the flex plate? never heard that one

It is not only the size of the hole in the end of the crank that changed, the "ring" on the crank that locates the flexplate got larger in 68, also. The hole in the 67 and older flexplate is smaller then the 68 up flexplate. The bolt pattern is the same.
PS: late (large hole) flexplates are readily available from parts stores, for less then $25. Early flexplates (small hole), are no longer available new as far as I know.

SOooo, can the front pump and drum be swapped out of newer trans???? of course, all this would depend if rebuildin and have parts trans sittin there for free!??? wondering if anyone has had any problems using the busing approach???

SOooo, can the front pump and drum be swapped out of newer trans???? of course, all this would depend if rebuildin and have parts trans sittin there for free!??? wondering if anyone has had any problems using the busing approach???

Yes the front parts of the trans can be swapped, but I really don't know why you would want to. I'm not really sure what year parts will interchange, as there were changes made to the seals and seal rings, in later years. The gaskets, seals and thrust washers would cost more then using the bushing. I sell the bushing for $20.00 shipping included, and there are other suppliers of the bushing. I do not know of anyone ever having a problem using the bushing. It is not a ware item. It just locates the converter centered in the crank. This same bushing is used when replaceing an early small block with a later 318/340 or 360.

Sorry I can't help the guy crushed all his cars last month wish I would have went out there sooner

Well now, isn't this interesting! I just drove to Roby, MO and picked up a 64 Valiant from MObodyman and got a 67 engine and tranny with it, along with 3 other engines on sat!

I put a 74' Duster slant into my 67' Dart and found out pretty quick that I needed a bigger 68+ flexplate and an adapter bushing. I can't remember where online I got the bushing but $20 w/ shipping seems to ring a bell.
I ending using the flexplate from a junkyard 86 Dodge van for $5, works just fine.

Got a 65 GT with the slant . Gonna be a parts car . Never tried to fire it , but it does crank . Complete . Auto trans can go too . Still in car . PM if interested .

-
Back