Slant Six in trouble

-

slanted67

Reaction score
This might be a compound problem and a long post to get the info on the table so thanks in advance for reading...
Alright, it is a '67 Dart with a 225, Holley 1926 carb, 3 speed auto and pizza cutter tires, the problem lies on the idle/driveability side.
After a 1,500 mile road trip the engine was acting jumpy and sluggish at stop lights, so I put a light on the timing and found the marks jumping around, no big deal a new chain and rebuild the carb while I'm under there, right.
So it turns out the carb is the wrong model, it is still a 1920 but the last few numbers are not found in any book or parts store anywhere. I rebuilt the carb with the kit for the right carb in hopes it would work anyway. Okay, now the carb is done the chain and new gears are on but it does not idle or drive without misfiring.
It had an electronic ignition gadget in the distributor and cost a lot to replace any of those parts, a reman points distributor only cost 40 bucks so she got an old fashion distributor. No luck.
During this process I found that the firing order was completly opposite the specified routing, the number one wire and number six were switched along with the rest. She ran this way for thousands of miles but I can not fathom how it is possible since it will not run with the proper firing order. The rotor does point to number one on the cap at TDC but after that it stops making sense.
The dwell is set to 42 degrees, I replaced the ballast resistor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and even double checked the timing chain to make sure it was still lined up. My compression tester seems to have broken but I think all cylinders are sealed.
The timing still jumps around and the car stumbles horribly under load, it hurt just to move it out of the way.
I was thinking maybe the carb (needs the right one), the harmonic balancer rubber is gone, maybe the coil (tested okay) or possibly.....
If you made it this far thanks for bearing with me, hopefully somebody out there has run into this before, I am out of ideas/money and have started to doubt my mechanical prowess, please help!!!

Sounds like a timing issue esp. if your idle is the right RPM. double check your firing order, make sure your spark plug wires are good, cap rotor, if your running points those too, condenser. A bad carb will make it idel rough, run too lean or rich, hesatate on take offs & some times can cause pinging while climbing up hills due to un-burnt fuel.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

Alright thanks I will look into finding a carb. Has anyone ever heard of the bacwards firing order? When the wires are in the right order the car backfires and refuses to start, then when they are installed the way came off (completly 180'd) the car will start. Any ideas on that one?

Vacuum leaks. Double check if you've been there already.

Springs for the mechanical advance in the distributor? Check to see that the spring posts aren't too loose. That'll cause the timing to bounce.

Just brain storming here. Pretty hard to fix a car over the internet... :lol:

CJ

The timing order being 180 degrees is pretty common, don't get hung up with that. It's still the same order, just the timing set chain is set up 180 out. It'll work fine that way.

CJ

is it possible the distributor is stabbed 180* out. also the ballast for the electronic distributor may not be the same as the one you need for a points set up.

CJ has a good point about vacuum leaks you can spray a little carb. cleaner around the carb. where you have plugs & vacuum lines just make sure your not back firing fire risk! If it is a leak the idle will smooth out temporally. It really sounds like it still be a timing I stabbed my distributor off by a whole 180 degrees drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

Jeff

Is your coil braking down ? This happened to my 63 Valiant and it about drove me crazy.

I had a similar issue with my 71 duster 198/6. I ended having vapor lock in the fuel lines. Also i set my dwell to 43 degrees and the car is running great atleast for now.

-
Back