Slant six radiator fan too top hose clearance

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
I got about an inch clearance from the fan blade and top hose, I can’t raise the radiator up because the hood won’t close running the pressure release style cap.

would I be fine or should I just run the smaller 15 incher fan than the 17inch

923F532D-7463-4821-A202-AC40E6373A62.jpeg

2B61B29E-974A-47DC-83FC-EC055370E145.jpeg

27DD67E9-3CD0-487A-B8B6-E224C543EE2A.jpeg

I don't see a problem, except those fans are not made for the street. I ran one on my 383 Dart for a couple years, went back to stock style and went from 210 to 185 cooling temp...

I don't see a problem, except those fans are not made for the street. I ran one on my 383 Dart for a couple years, went back to stock style and went from 210 to 185 cooling temp...
Oh dang really? My car won’t heat up past 170 idling or on the freeway

Oh dang really? My car won’t heat up past 170 idling or on the freeway
Ya know, my slant also runs about 170* F. just cruising at 30-35 mph, but I think these temps are slightly below what is optimal engine/fuel efficiency. Could be thermostat isn't closing enough or too much coolant to water ratio? Maybe others can give their views on this.

Looks like plenty of clearance to me. However, the 15 incher I would think would absorb a bit less power, and apparently you don't need such a big fan. If you want to try the smaller fan just for the halibut.

My slants had a 4-blade 13" fan I believe was the diameter unless it had factory A/C...

There are a couple of sizes of the 4-blade fan, since they were also used on base V8s. They are not much for cooling — the flat blade angle was designed to use less engine power for economy. When I was looking for a more aggressive fan, I determined that 16" was the largest I could fit, the limiting factor being the power steering pulley, not the upper hose. I installed a 16" Texas Twister plastic flex fan. I think the photo shows plenty of clearance — if the motor can move 1 inch vertically he will have plenty of other problems to contend with.

-
Back