Slant six Radiator

-

zcook13

Reaction score
Got a quick question. On my 70 dart under the radiator cap, there is a port on the side of the plastic neck. Is there a hose that goes to a over flow tank? I don't have a hose there or see where is goes.

Yes originally there was an overflow tank. I think it's mounted on the passenger side. I would have to go outside and look.

Well I don't have an overflow tank, if there is originally one, or the hose. I don't know why they are missing. I bought the car that way.

My radiator just had a hose that went down the side and didn't go to anything. It didn't look like there was ever a catch can or anything but I suppose it could have been removed.

Early ones did not have any catch bottle, just an overflow hose down the side; not sure what year they started putting them A-bodies.

Since not much space, look at the after-market catch tanks on ebay. Aluminum cans that look nice and don't cost too much. I will be putting (expensive) Evan's Waterless Coolant in my slant eventually and don't want to ever lose any.

Early ones did not have any catch bottle, just an overflow hose down the side; not sure what year they started putting them A-bodies.

Not all cars got them, only AC and HD cooling packages. For '73 they moved the horns under the battery tray.

My '74 AC-equipped Valiant had one, my '73 Sport w/AC has one, my '73 stripper Valiant does not. You can tell if a radiator is for AC or HD cooling by looking at which direction the nipple on the filler points. Driver side, no overflow, passenger side, had an overflow bottle(in original application).

It's a tight fit but you can get a 73+ overflow tank into a 70 Dart. You'll have to move the horn to another spot like under the battery tray and put the tank where the horn was originally. Then you'll need a rad cap made for the usage of an overflow tank.

-
Back