slant six to a 360

-

69dart69

Reaction score
Just pulled the slant 6 from my 69 dart and i plan on putting a 360 in.
will i need to replace the crossmember ? will the motor mounts fit a 360 or do those need to be replaced as well. Any major problems im going to encounter ?

any info on swaping a 360 from slant 6 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil.

Phil,

do you mean the K-member? If so, you don´t have to change it, there are conversion motor mounts available from schumacher (www.engine-swaps.com) or Trans-dapt (cheaper!). The Slant motor mounts won´t fit the V8, but the conversion kits supply everything necessary.

Of course you will need another tranny, possibly another driveshaft (depends on what tranny you will use with the v8, the 727 is longer than the original 904...i think if you get a SB 904 it could be that the driveshaft is ok..)

V8 Cars use other radiators and exhaust system (obviously...), you´ll need that too.

I don´t think you will have major problems, since the cars were originally equipped with these engines it´s easy.

don´t mind asking if there are some more questions!

Michael

I am doing the same swap on my 69 Dart. It is a 170 /6 with a three speed column shift and I am converting it to a 318 4-speed. I'll help answer any questions you may have about this swap, it's a fairly simple deal to do really.

Most people think an engine swap will be easy, so buy a slant six for less. However most end up swapping the entire drivetrain, suspension, radiator, and engine harness, so all you end up using from the original is the body. The removed parts are barely marketable since everybody wants to go big. Some even gut the interior to add bucket seats and floor shift.

I too am one of those that went from slant to V8. If your front brakes are drum you might want to change them to disk for more stoping power, this you can do later but is not an absolute must ,just safer. If you have questions just ask away.

As was said earlier,you will need to change..
6cyl 904 and convertor to V8*also external balanced flexplate or weighted convertor
V8 radiator
engine mounts
exhaust manifolds or hedders
throttle and kickdown linkage(Lokar is easiest)
converting your existing engine harness for V8

Be prepared for small extras...Good luck.

After doing this swap myself a few years ago i would highly recommend finding (or fabbing) a good set of solid or urethane motor mounts. I used the trans dapt to save some cash and here i am two years later re-doing my mistake. they arent bad for the price but the rubber broke down quick and now my motor hops around with a moderate crack of the throttle.

and definitely take the advice above and invest in some brakes!

best of luck!

There's also a good chance that your slant only had the 7-1/4" rear end. Adding the horsepower of a 360, you might consider swapping in a beefier rear end. You can find an 8-1/4" in some slant cars, or you can go bigger with a 8-3/4".

You may also need to find a set of V8 torsion bars because of the additional weight of the small block.

Surprising as it seems, the transmission cross-member from your slant's 904 will work with a 727. And you can also reuse your slant's radiator shroud by flipping it upside down and trim just a bit off to clear the lower radiator hose.

-
Back