Slant Valve Seals

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys...... How much should I expect to pay to have new valve seals put in a slant 6?

What would you say is a fair to average price for the job?

With the rate for labor in most shops (atleast around here) I would think that it would be quicker and cheaper just to do it yourself wouldn't it?

Yeah, no doubt.........But my back just can't take bendin' over the thing right now....I'm miserable..........Just put a new carb on it today and I feel like I got hit by a Superbird..............

Anybody know what I should expect?...........Maybe from a flat rate manual, at least...........?? Huh? :read2:

I'll take a wild guess and say a couple of bills? Definitely easier to do yourself if you have a compressor. Or maybe invite a buddy over with a 12 pack and have him do it while you supervise.......

What year/model car? A/C or not? If you want to come up to my place (silver Springs, Fl), I could do it for no more then $200 parts and labor. Maybe slightly less.

hey Charlie, do you have to take the head off to do the seals... I found one of mine pushed up to the keeper (among other things) when I was adjusting the lash..

I have used a fitting on the air hose that screws into the spark plug hole and fills the cylinder with air keeping the valve up. Works great and you don't have to take off the head.

I would bet it would be over 250+ for a shop to do it.
3 hours at 50.00 an hour, plus valve cover gasket, "shop supplies" and tax....not to mention the parts too....

Probably closer to 300.00 now that I think about it.

I have used a fitting on the air hose that screws into the spark plug hole and fills the cylinder with air keeping the valve up. Works great and you don't have to take off the head.

oooo put that one in the memory bank.. :thumbup:

hey Charlie, do you have to take the head off to do the seals... I found one of mine pushed up to the keeper (among other things) when I was adjusting the lash..

No you don't have to remove the head. I really wouldn't worry about the seal that is pushed up.

No you don't have to remove the head. I really wouldn't worry about the seal that is pushed up.

yeah that was the least of my worries....1 bent push rod.....2 loose rocker shaft bolts.......um er and 3 loose head bolts........when I say loose i mean you could turn them with a socket and your fingers... and the push rod was so bent it was rubbing the drool tube.

I just pushed it back down with a small flat head screw driver and re torqued some bolts and forgot about it.. :)

I used some cotton rope, fed it into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then rotated the engine by hand until the rope was tight up against the valves. I fliped the rocker shaft over and used a small pipe wrench to compress the valve spring retainer to allow the valve keepers to be removed. Only one valve spring retainer went flying. Wear safety glasses! My seals wear petrified and just hard bits of black stone-like material. Also, it is a good idea to soak your rocker arms in some strong degreaser and clean out the oil drip holes that feed oil out to the tip of the rocker arm and cool and lubricate the valve.

-
Back