I recently bought a 65' dart gt with the original /6

ive been debating weather or not to put a v8 in it

ive seen lots of things to upgrade my 6, like a header, 4barrel intake

cam, ect.

what do you guys sugest i do?

it would be cool to have a slant6 that kept up with the v8s

supercharger? turbo?
:burnout:

I agree a badass slant six is cool but you need to think about cost first the slant six stuff can be very expensive if you bought a v8 and put the same amount of money in the v8 and /6 well you understand. It really is all up to you and how much you can spend i love the idea of the hopped up/6 but last time i looked at cliffords website the hyper pak style intake was around 400 bucks close to the same with the header etc. just so much money for the /6 high performance stuff although you may be able to score a deal on some nice used stuff also. Either way have fun with it they are both great motors do whatever makes you happy. Good Luck with it and enjoy Justin

If you want to hot rod a slant, DON'T BUY FROM CLIFFORD UNLESS THERE'S NO ALTERNATIVE. You may never get your parts, and if you do, they'll likely be VERY late and way too expensive.

There are LOTS of other sources for parts for slants, it's just not "one stop shopping" like Clifford seems to provide. Post what parts your looking for, and others can direct you to where you can find them.

For example, Offy intake:
http://www.offyparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/135?osCsid=eecdebf0a3000166ca3a7c356daf366a

P.A.W. also lists it ( http://www.pawinc.com/ ), and they can be picked up on Ebay all day long, as well as the Clifford intake. Same with Clifford's headers.

Hope this helps!

VM

I agree with Vynn.
I have about 2k in the car and engine both. Mostly used /6 parts gotten off of the Forums or Ebag. 14 sec car on pump gas w/ open rear 3.91 gear.
PM me for details.
Frank

I was on Dutras site the other night and couldn't see a price for his headers. anyone know how much they are?

$425 plus shipping for front and rear.:pale:
I have a lot of /6 stuff that I am going to eventually use, but since I am running short on funds, I'm gonna go for a 318 stroker to drive until I can get the scratch for a 282 slant. The real killer on slants is finding a machine shop that will work on them (at least around here). They eat machine tools at an alarming rate.

I use all my 60's cars and have phased out the v8 cars. I don't own a car newer than 1966.I sold the last V8 65 Barracuda that I had restored ground up with my own 2 hands because ,frankly, I'm turned off at the way the hobby has gone and the gas prices that we all must pay to play.It's become a rich kids game now so with this in mind I cashed out .Now I only have 6 cyl Valiants and I gotta tell you this. They are just as much fun to drive and get just as many looks and thumbs up as I go down the road as the V8 cars did.The difference is at the cruise nights and car shows where all the rich guys are hanging out with their 40,000 and up big block stuff looking down their noses at us in these little 6 cylindes gems that get 22 mpg to their 8 or so.They can have it .I'm a 6 man now and as the price of fuel continues it's inevitable rise into the 4 and 5 dollar range you will be glad you have one too.When you get down to it what others think of your ride doesn't mean a damn thing. It's yours and if you like it and want to keep on enjoying it to really cruise keep it a 6 and be happy.If you're looking to impress these guys with the deep pockets dump your life savings into it and have a good long cry when 5 years from now you can't afford to drive the thing and it's value has nose dived 'cause no one else wants them anymore.

I myself will keep a /6 in my abadie." If it ever happens" :thumbrig:
And I will spend money on a fresh turn key car, fresh neat dog dish hub caps and the best tire's you can get,That I can drive every time I leave the house.
I do not think I would alter one if funs are low.:-(
I would make my /6 perfect so it could take me from one point to the other. And do it in class.
with no drips leaks or squeaks and looking good.:cheers:
On they other hand If it is a coup or a gt car that would be a hard decision
for me to make if it was me.
But the one I am building will be a 4 door show and go 44 year old valiant.
I will go with a rv cam and two barrel intake and exost.
Up grade to disc brakes. and keep the rear 71/4 smooth.
I like 20 miles to the gal, I would drive it to the track and wish I had one like
the the ones on the track, But when the day is dun I set in my little mopar and know I will make it home and I own the sweetest peace of moper history.
Some times I think an over drive would be nice.

Just my thoughts

Well,I haven't been on this site in ages,but my .02 says if you like to be different,do the /6 !!!!:headbang: I have done two of them,and have never regretted it either time !!Most of my parts came straight from MP,the Headers I got from HOOKER !!!When it was finished,I brought it to Don Garlits' Mopar show,and got sooooo many ooooooohs and ahhhhhhhs it wasn't funny !!When people come up to you to ask what you've got in there,and you tell them it's a /6,and they tell you NO WAY,makes it worth while !!!My motto,"DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" !!:headbang:

9 times out of ten when people ask me about my car they ask if it has the /6, this goes with the big old wild eyed story about there trip on some old mopar that went forever. A mopar with the /6 is its own deal, you either get it or you don't. I have driven my daily driver /6 for ten years. with no major malfunctions , actually runs better than when I bought it.

9 times out of ten when people ask me about my car they ask if it has the /6, this goes with the big old wild eyed story about there trip on some old mopar that went forever. A mopar with the /6 is its own deal, you either get it or you don't. I have driven my daily driver /6 for ten years. with no major malfunctions , actually runs better than when I bought it.

Yep. When I was still racing my Duster it ran mid 15's. I was parked a few cars away from my buddy who had his 383 Demon race car there running low 11's. People would walk right past his car to come see "that funny sounding car".

I am new to the forum and am finding good info here. I have a '66 dart 4 door coupe. It has a slant six. I never had a slant 6 before. I had 383, 318 and still have a awfully complicated v-12 jaguar (which i want to trade!) I am really enjoying this little Dart. Wonderful gas mileage and simplicity. I am making the Dart my daily driver due to this aspect of the car. I have other things to say about suspension, brakes and so on. But I have never seen an engine this simple in such a nice car. I hope it continues to run!

I say build what you want. All this talk about gas mileage makes me laugh my Dart had a 318 with a mild cam, headers and a 4 barrel I was getting 24 mpg when I was driving it every day. I am now driving a /6 valiant for the "great gas mileage" and it only gets 22 mpg on a good day and is gutless compared to the dart. Both cars do not have overdrive and 2.73 rears. I am changeing my Dart to a big block and an overdrive and plan on getting close to 30 mpg. I have a friend with a 34 chevy coupe with a 427 and an overdrive auto that runs 12s and he gets 23 mpg on the highway with 2 4s. Just my $.02.

-
Back