sleeving 8 3/4 bearing housing???

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a nice A-body 8 3/4 housing that at some point spun an axle bearing. The area where the bearing race would sit is boogered up, bit not horribly. Is there a sleeve for this so that it could be machined and sleeved without compromising the strength?
DSC04082.JPG
DSC04081.JPG

Any decent good-sized machine shop can lay a bead of weld in there and turn it back to fresh. I've got one I've been meaning to do for years and haven't got around to it. Call your local large-truck shop (cement trucks and dump trucks and stuff) and they'll know who to call.

Can you measure the average worn bore size and compare it to a good bearing dia? No specific sleeve for this application that I have heard of. If under .050" difference it could probably be metal sprayed and re-bored Or if worn more, bored, custom sleeve made, pressed and bored. Typical general machinist work. A shop like Streich Bros in Tacoma could do either, but it would probably cost a lot more than you would think.

What does the axle bearing race look like from the axle you pulled out of there?

20161001_104847.jpg

Maybe that is the old shot race still stuck in the end of the axle?

Screenshot_20220920-001114_Gallery.jpg

I bought this housing without axles. The guy I bought it from said that there were green bearings on the axles and the ball bearings gave up the ghost without the driver understanding what was happening. He swapped in another housing and the old one seemed too good otherwise to scrap it.

It is my understanding that axle ends usually fit over the axle tube. I presume that if you cut the old end off, you end up cutting the end of the tube off with it. Then how do you install the new axle end and have it correctly located?

The axle tube might have slipped into the housing end in some applications, but I have not seen a 8 3/4 housing like that. My neighbor narrows and repairs rear housings. I have had him cut the housing ends off, cut 1” off the tube and weld the ends back on. He chucked the ends in his lathe, and cut off the old weld and trued up the end. So I think someone could repair your rear with a new housing end.

-
Back