"Sleeving" A- body brake drums?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought about a way to "sleeve" A-body, small bolt rear brake drums, as they are hard, and sometimes, impossible, to find? I'm talking about some method of attaching new material to the friction surface area of the drums, reducing the inside diameter to stock again, so they can be reused.

$_1.JPG

I assume You're talking 10x1.75" small pattern drums?

No, don't even think about doing this.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening for 2 reasons; (1)there's only about 3/16 of meat from the friction surface to the outer surface, which does not leave near enough room
for an insert that diameter, &(2)the lack of heat transfer efficiency will cause the insert to try to grow faster than the parent material, which will cause it to deform, or shrink
when it cools if you get it really hot. Of course if you're trailering it around, and poking around the venue & town, it wouldn't matter, but then the orig. worn condition unit really
wouldn't matter either.

Or rivet lining material in the drum wall and run metal shoes LOL
Seriously, I think pressing in a sleeve would crack what little drum wall remained.

Rotational force alone would destroy a sleeve in a brake application.
Somebody out there has the correct part in your budget.

Put a wanted add here, I bet there is a few here used.

better then drums are disc's but thats not in the small bolt pattern , why not , aren't there is enough a bodies to make it marketable . to sleeve drums just would not work , but maybe the remetalizing like their doing to iron heads closing up the chambers , blasting molten iron n furness welding . i could only think they would wrap up beyond machining round n straight again .

If you search the part number on rockauto they come up they dont come listed under anything else. If im not mistaken they are labeled wrong on rock auto also.

Just buy it by the part number i have three sets and all are a confirmed fit. I bought a bunch incase they run out so i dont have to pay ebay prices.

better then drums are disc's but thats not in the small bolt pattern , why not , aren't there is enough a bodies to make it marketable . to sleeve drums just would not work , but maybe the remetalizing like their doing to iron heads closing up the chambers , blasting molten iron n furness welding . i could only think they would wrap up beyond machining round n straight again .
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, Geebuzz!! I'd charge You less to cast new ones,LOL! The market is every A-body w/an 8.75" rear minus the ones converted to LBP, we're still using 50yr old OE ones
tho', You can bet the replacements aren't going to last anywhere near that long.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, Geebuzz!! I'd charge You less to cast new ones,LOL! The market is every A-body w/an 8.75" rear minus the ones converted to LBP, we're still using 50yr old OE ones
tho', You can bet the replacements aren't going to last anywhere near that long.

...and I think these drums also fit 7.25 small bolt rears as well.

...and I think these drums also fit 7.25 small bolt rears as well.
I'm not sure of that one, because the backing plates have to be different, and don't recall the amount, but the axle flange to housing flange are not the same distance between
7.25 & 8.75...10" was optional w/a 7.25?

I'm not sure of that one, because the backing plates have to be different, and don't recall the amount, but the axle flange to housing flange are not the same distance between
7.25 & 8.75...10" was optional w/a 7.25?

Backing plates are different at the housing, but are the same otherwise. I have 10" brake 7.25 rear in my Dart now, and have tried the 7.25 drums on my 8.75 rear...they fit.

10" rear drum, small bolt pattern, same for 8.75 and 7.25.
They were also the same for the A body 7.25 small bolt pattern rear right up to the end of the A body.

I have small bolt disc on my car, can be done, talk to DR Diff.

I know this is not what 65Val is looking to do, but thought i would point it out to others that there is a small bolt rear disc set up available.

-
Back