Slip Yoke ? for 1966 Barracuda F/S - 833 trans

-

semarshall

Reaction score
I'm putting my Formula S back together and ran into a problem with a damaged Slip Yoke. While I was looking for a new or good used yoke I discovered my Yoke does not seem to match specs of what I thought would be on the car. I believe the yoke and drive shaft are original to the car. My Yoke is just over 7.5" in length (end to end), 1.56" OD, 1.25" ID using the 7260 small u-joints with spline-25 teeth/26 indexed teeth.

I looked up the yoke in my 1966 Mopar parts catalog and the only one listed with the correct number of spline teeth was 9" long (#2530-894). All other yokes listed have more spline teeth with 29 teeth/30 indexed teeth.

On a side note this seems to validate my question that popped up when rebuilding the 833 4spd in that the strange ribbed seal riding on the tail section output shaft. It was supposed to mate with the Slip Yoke. At the time it seemed to me the yoke was too short to engage the seal.

What Slip Yoke should I order to use in the rebuild? Any input/comments from the experts/ members would be greatly appreciated.

I think I may have what you want. Can you give me the measurements of the u joint end?

The 66 833 trans has a smaller slip yoke than 1967-up, my 1966 833 trans has the same yoke as the 3-speed manual that came out of my car, think its the same as a 904 auto as well. My rebuild kit came with a larger rear seal and wouldn't fit, figured out that the 66 A833 is a 1-year only trans with a different low gear set and yoke.

The 66 and 67 273 A833 uses the same 26 spline, 904, small yoke and small u-joint, 7260. I have both the 66 and the 67. The originals were long as you describe but hollowed out. I'm not sure why, nor do I think you need the long slip yoke.

I believe the long length & hollowed out bore was for the yoke seal described in my service manual. It has (2) spiral rings holding it in place as shown in the exploded view diagram (item #23). I think without the longer Yoke the seal would be of no value. I don't have enough long term experience with the 4sp to know how necessary it really is. I believe the tail shaft end oil seal would provide sealing which is probably why I have had no leakage in that area. Since I have redone the complete engine and drive train just gaining from FABO experience as I reassemble everything.

There is a funky part of the mainshaft that has 2 raised rings machined into it, looks like a seal could fit. That begins to make sense. I've never seen the second seal. There is probably one in the 67. I pulled it with 50 K. Can you still get the second seal? Interesting.

So any 904 slip yoke will fit the 1966 833 4 speed? Am I understanding this correctly? And later 67- up 4 speeds use the same slip yoke as a 727. I have a 1966 4 speed out of a Dart GT with the 273 4 bbl. The car was wrecked hard in the late 60's and sat. I traded a slant 6 for it and parted it out long ago. And still have the slant 6. The guy never came and picked it up!

Mine is correct with the length and u joint size, but the OD of the slip yoke part is 1.675.

The 66 and 67 A body 273 4 speed uses the small 904 slip yoke. I have had both 66 and 67 original 4 speed Formula S Barracudas. The 67 A body 383 used the large slip yoke. 68 and up A body use the large, 30 spline slip yoke, same as the 727. 1.675 is the large, 30 spline slip yoke, who can say when the change over occurred?

Thanks for the information. This is why I spend so much time on here. You learn something new every day. :burnout:

-
Back