Sloppy steering

-
If the Pittman and idler arm are good... outside of the tie rods and or any steering shaft coupler issues...the steering box is probably worn out.

Or the steering box is loose on the K frame, or the steering box mount itself has cracked welds and moves when you turn the wheel. Or the toe is wrong, oe the ball joints are worn out, or the LCA bushings are toast, etc, etc.

A full inspection of the suspension would be necessary, since any play in the suspension or the steering could lead to what someone might describe as “sloppy” steering.

This car:

67 R.jpg

Along with this car:

0188.JPG

Heck, even THIS car:

IMG_3834.JPG

ALL have unrebuilt, original factory power steering boxes and all of them drive fine. They are not as responsive as this car:

IMG_E2324.JPG

Because the red car has this:

Borg 6B.JPG

Borg 7.JPG

The Borgeson unit is superior but a Mopar with a rebuilt front end and a decent steering box still performs well. The Dart, Duster and Ratty Charger all have rebuilt front ends and steering couplers. Each one has a fairly low mile steering box. That seems to be the key. Low mile units from slant six A body cars seem to have the least wear to them.

The steering isn't good. Add a 100,000 miles, if the car even could go that far and comment on the steering, especially compared to what everyone is used to driving today
I have about 15 deg of slop on my 323,000 mile dart with manual steering.

But at 70 mph I can let go of the steering wheel and it drives streight as an arrow.

All the front suspension is stock, upper and lower ball joints changed at some time in its life and idler, steering arm and tierod ends too.

It's an old car and not rack and pinion, but that does not mean it is undrivable.

Last edited:
Jack one wheel off the ground.
Grab it at the 12 and 6 position. If there is play, observe the hub and you'll see if its the wheel bearings.
Then go to the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Turn the wheel and see what in the steering linkage moves together and where something is loose.
Its a little awkward but doable. Or get a buddy. Do not go under without a jack stand of course.
Do the same on the other side.
This is how you'll find what's worn or loose.

Yes.

The OP needs to diagnose the steering and figure out what is bad.

Question to the OP: Have you driven a older Mopar or older car of that era with much better steering?

My dad's 70 swinger has all it's original front suspension, with power steering and it drives straight as a arrow. My only complaint would be the lack of any type of road feel with the steering.

Actually, Mopar had the reputation "back in the day" of being the better handling cars of the "big three".

-aside from common complaints of "too much power assist".

My 70 Super Bee, pretty much stock except for 12" wide rear tires and radial front tires handled like a giant go-cart, and I would not have changed anything if I could have.

On several occasions, I "out-handled" much newer cars especially late 80's and early 90's mustangs and camaros.

...and I'll stand by, and reiterate my initial recommendation- check the toe!

It's free to do.

If you have 1/4" of toe out your car will be all over the road.

It could just be normal wear that needs adjusted to compensate, or it could be tie rod end(s) that need replaced.
It could be something else but those are common.

Last edited:
I'm to gracefully bow out of this conversation, lol. Our opinions differ greatly when it come to steering :0)

It's funny though, I've had my Dart for 38 years and started with handling improvements in 1986...Through the 250,000 miles I've added on the street and track, I always said to myself, car handles excellent, but the steering is the missing link. I had FF stages 2 and 3 as well steer and gear boxes. It wasn't until I got involved with the Borgeson boxes in 2012 that I felt the package was complete.

I'm to gracefully bow out of this conversation, lol. Our opinions differ greatly when it come to steering :0)

It's funny though, I've had my Dart for 38 years and started with handling improvements in 1986...Through the 250,000 miles I've added on the street and track, I always said to myself, car handles excellent, but the steering is the missing link. I had FF stages 2 and 3 as well steer and gear boxes. It wasn't until I got involved with the Borgeson boxes in 2012 that I felt the package was complete.
Well.....maybe you're making an unfair comparison because you're used to your particular Mopars and all the stuff you've put on them. I've no doubt your cars severely out handle anything ma Mopar ever made, because you know what the hell you're doing designing and choosing parts. Looking at it from that perspective, I can certainly see where your opinion is right.

After the OP diagnoses the steering and figures out what is needing repair and what doesn’t need repair… then you can make an informed decision if that steering feel/experience is acceptable to you.

If not acceptable in working stock form, then consider other steering boxes and setups.

If you find the steering box itself is needing repair, then at that point you’ll have to make an educated choice on steering box options.

-
Back